Action Replay / Pokemon Black and White Version (JPN) Incompatability Discussion

I am having the "Not a firmware file" problem. My ARDS is currently running firmware version 1.54, and it is generation 2 judging from the pics ggctuk posted on page 5. I am running Windows 7, and had to download drivers from Codejunkies in order to get my computer to recognize my device. Everything else works after I installed the new drivers. I am able to write codes to my ARDS using the Code Manager program. I am wondering if I have to update to version 1.6 before further updating to 1.71. From looking online, v1.6 seems to be a sort of cutoff for getting v1.71 to work. However, I can't find a 1.6 firmware file online. Can anyone help?

Also, I emailed Datel about this problem, and was told to get a new action replay as mine is too old (I did not say which generation it was). They mentioned Pokemon Black and White in their response, even though I did not originally mention the game in my email. Stupid automated response.

I am just checking here to see if there is anything I can do, as giving more money to Datel is the last thing I want to do at this time.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeap. it wont let me add new codes to the game ether., it will let me add them to the AR. but after i chose which ones to use in game, The "INSERT ACTION REPLAY" comes up

Edited by SQRL

yeap. now we are gonna have to get a dsiAR. which is ok, im gettin a new dsi on monday. im gonna fiddle with this one and see if there isnt another way to reverse it

im thinking Hammer and dinomite

WARNING!!

This method has been confirmed to work with the noted loss of USB, HOWEVER it has also been found out to be unable to enter new codes either!

I do NOT recommend this unless you have either a flash/dev cart, or a second ARDS with a firmware of 1.56 or lower(might work with 1.57)!!

I'm interested in trying this even though i don't have a flash cart or second AR (I couldn't care less about typing codes in AR lol) but I have a few questions.

1. By loss of USB, do you mean the computer's USB port won't work or only the AR Code Manager will stop working?

2. Can you type new codes manually on the AR DS menu (not the Code Manager)?

Thanks in advance. :)

I'm interested in trying this even though i don't have a flash cart or second AR (I couldn't care less about typing codes in AR lol) but I have a few questions.

1. By loss of USB, do you mean the computer's USB port won't work or only the AR Code Manager will stop working?

2. Can you type new codes manually on the AR DS menu (not the Code Manager)?

Thanks in advance. :)

1 means there is no connectivity between the ARDS and and PC for firmware updating or code transfer

2: Unfortunately it has been discovered that it does not alow code entry any longer it says Insert Action Replay.

unless you know there will never be any more codes you want to enter, or you get a flash cart to revert it i dont recommend it.

when you revert it it keeps all codes and you can add more then re-upgrade.

1 means there is no connectivity between the ARDS and and PC for firmware updating or code transfer

2: Unfortunately it has been discovered that it does not alow code entry any longer it says Insert Action Replay.

unless you know there will never be any more codes you want to enter, or you get a flash cart to revert it i dont recommend it.

when you revert it it keeps all codes and you can add more then re-upgrade.

On Mine. It wont even allow me to start the game after i choose which codes i want to use, even if i don't type in a new code

Edited by SQRL
mis-spelling

On Mine. It wont even allow me to start the game after i choose which codes i want to use, even if i don't type in a new code

yikes, mine at least lets me use the code i had in there before. unfortunately its only one code so it sucks on that count.

anyone know how much the new dsi costs by-the-by, and if it'll work for a ds lite?

the DSIAR works the same as the DSAR. And the DSIAR is compatible with the DSi, DSiXL, DS lite, And regular ds consoles. it runs about $19.99US. Codejunkies.com have them for online order here(http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/DSi-Action-Replay__EF000789.aspx). but my local Gamestop has them for the same price -the shipping and handling

"If you would like to upgrade to the DSi Action Replay, you may purchase a used DSi Action Replay for $9.99 + Shipping & Handling at http://www.datelgaming.com/DSi_Action_Replay_p/dus0162%20-%20used.htm. These Action Replays have been fully tested and come with a 30 day warranty. "

This was in an e-mail from datel, its the cheapest way to upgrade ive seen unless shipping is more than 10 bucks(it may be, i havent ordered one)

What kind of cart do you have SQRL? is it the type with the pass-through or is it the original swap carts to play?

I am having the "Not a firmware file" problem. My ARDS is currently running firmware version 1.54, and it is generation 2 judging from the pics ggctuk posted on page 5. I am running Windows 7, and had to download drivers from Codejunkies in order to get my computer to recognize my device. Everything else works after I installed the new drivers. I am able to write codes to my ARDS using the Code Manager program. I am wondering if I have to update to version 1.6 before further updating to 1.71. From looking online, v1.6 seems to be a sort of cutoff for getting v1.71 to work. However, I can't find a 1.6 firmware file online. Can anyone help?

Also, I emailed Datel about this problem, and was told to get a new action replay as mine is too old (I did not say which generation it was). They mentioned Pokemon Black and White in their response, even though I did not originally mention the game in my email. Stupid automated response.

I am just checking here to see if there is anything I can do, as giving more money to Datel is the last thing I want to do at this time.

I get the Protocol Error problem error as well, and I'm pretty sure mine isn't out of date (mine's DS-EZ). Still stuck :/

"If you would like to upgrade to the DSi Action Replay, you may purchase a used DSi Action Replay for $9.99 + Shipping & Handling at http://www.datelgaming.com/DSi_Action_Replay_p/dus0162%20-%20used.htm. These Action Replays have been fully tested and come with a 30 day warranty. "

This was in an e-mail from datel, its the cheapest way to upgrade ive seen unless shipping is more than 10 bucks(it may be, i havent ordered one)

What kind of cart do you have SQRL? is it the type with the pass-through or is it the original swap carts to play?

Mines the 2 Generation. The passthrew

Mines the 2 Generation. The passthrew

i wonder whats diffferent between ours and yours. all 3 were gen 2 passthrough carts, yet mine, and raz's flashed and ratained all codes/still works just cant add codes, yours on the other hand doesnt even boot games with the codes, is this correct?

What firmware version was it prior to the flash, if you remember?

Cephyros, I'm having a problem slightly similar to SQRL. Before I tried your method to fix the issue with the AR not working, I uploaded Pokemon White to my ARDS so I wouldn't have to manually put in any codes. I then did as you said and managed to update my AR from 1.52 to 1.71. The thing is, after I select the codes I want for Pokemon White, and hit "Start" on the touch screen, I just go to the ARDS home screen and where it usually says "Insert Game Cart" (If you don't have a game in the AR) it says "Insert Action Replay" Over and over again, and won't start the game.

Whats really odd, is that when I start the AR, and don't select any codes and just press the "start" button, it works fine. The game starts right up. But if I press the star in the lower left hand corner (So the AR brings me to the game I have inserted) and select any codes, even just one, it won't start. Is there a solution to this?

Cephyros, I'm having a problem slightly similar to SQRL. Before I tried your method to fix the issue with the AR not working, I uploaded Pokemon White to my ARDS so I wouldn't have to manually put in any codes. I then did as you said and managed to update my AR from 1.52 to 1.71. The thing is, after I select the codes I want for Pokemon White, and hit "Start" on the touch screen, I just go to the ARDS home screen and where it usually says "Insert Game Cart" (If you don't have a game in the AR) it says "Insert Action Replay" Over and over again, and won't start the game.

Whats really odd, is that when I start the AR, and don't select any codes and just press the "start" button, it works fine. The game starts right up. But if I press the star in the lower left hand corner (So the AR brings me to the game I have inserted) and select any codes, even just one, it won't start. Is there a solution to this?

this may sound like a dumb questions, but i always try for the simplest explination.

after it brings you back to the start screen have you tried starting the game, or does it not let you at all? This sounds like it may be a new problem, this is a passthrough cart too?

You mean after I select what codes I want and press start and go back to the home/start screen then? Nope, it doesn't work. Every time I hit start after that, it just reloads the homescreen with the "Insert Action Replay" message. However, if I start the AR up, and just press 'Start' and don't select any codes, the game starts up just fine. I'm not sure what you mean by passthrough cart. x.x I *Think* I have an idea of what you mean though. This is the AR that you plug you're games into. You put the AR into the DS, and then the game into the AR. Its not like the old gameboy/PS2 AR's where you put it in, select your codes, take it out, then put the game in.

You mean after I select what codes I want and press start and go back to the home/start screen then? Nope, it doesn't work. Every time I hit start after that, it just reloads the homescreen with the "Insert Action Replay" message. However, if I start the AR up, and just press 'Start' and don't select any codes, the game starts up just fine. I'm not sure what you mean by passthrough cart. x.x I *Think* I have an idea of what you mean though. This is the AR that you plug you're games into. You put the AR into the DS, and then the game into the AR. Its not like the old gameboy/PS2 AR's where you put it in, select your codes, take it out, then put the game in.

First time ive seen this come up, what version was your AR prior to flash?

See if it works like an original generation 1 action replay, take the cart out and put the game in then select the codes and boot the came with the AR completely removed from the slot.

I believe it was 1.52. I can't recall if it was 1.52 or 1.54, I think it was 52 though.

I just gave that a shot, and it didn't work. The DS didn't freeze like usual, everything stayed up, and it let me select the codes I want, but when I hit start it brought me back to the homescreen with the "Insert Action Replay" message again. Just for the hell of it, I tried booting up Pokemon Diamond with the AR the regular way. AR in the slot, Diamond in the AR, select the codes, and press start. But the same thing happened with the"Insert Action Replay" message.

I believe it was 1.52. I can't recall if it was 1.52 or 1.54, I think it was 52 though.

I just gave that a shot, and it didn't work. The DS didn't freeze like usual, everything stayed up, and it let me select the codes I want, but when I hit start it brought me back to the homescreen with the "Insert Action Replay" message again. Just for the hell of it, I tried booting up Pokemon Diamond with the AR the regular way. AR in the slot, Diamond in the AR, select the codes, and press start. But the same thing happened with the"Insert Action Replay" message.

do you have a flash cart? something maybe went wrong in the update, could you have accidentally changed another byte? i dont know, I recommend reverting and trying again.

I do not. I know for sure that I changed those 4 digits you listed to "Firm" and after that it updated just fine. I would think that if something was wrong with what I changed, I would get some kind of error. Either the "This is not a firmware file" error, or maybe the protocol error. Those seem to be the two most popular.