Action Replay / Pokemon Black and White Version (JPN) Incompatability Discussion

Yay! Looks like this is FINALLY getting somewhere looking like a solution! >_<

As to the Datel comment about the update... I dunno about the Gen1 ARDS, but mine is a Gen2 ARDS (based on the pictures linked) with Firmware 1.60, so according to that I shouldn't have any trouble updating. -_- Datel is really doing badly with their "customer support" with this. Especially when you consider the info we've gotten thanks to Cephyros.

I wonder if it'd be possible to fix the USB library issue as well...?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! Looks like this is FINALLY getting somewhere looking like a solution! >_<

As to the Datel comment about the update... I dunno about the Gen1 ARDS, but mine is a Gen2 ARDS (based on the pictures linked) with Firmware 1.60, so according to that I shouldn't have any trouble updating. -_- Datel is really doing badly with their "customer support" with this. Especially when you consider the info we've gotten thanks to Cephyros.

I wonder if it'd be possible to fix the USB library issue as well...?

Do you still have the 1.6 update bin you used? I would like to take a look at it. If not can you run the software update and send me the bin it spits out?

the USB lib wil likely not be fixed unless datel does something, either that or somone talented in ASM can decompile a firmware 1 bin and a firmware 2 bin then pick and chose the correct parts and get it to correctly compile again. Easier said than done.

IMHO Datel needs to just get off their butts and stop jerking around their customer base.

I don't think I ever did use a .bin to update it to 1.60; I think it had it when I got it? At the least, I don't recall doing the process... It's been about 4-6 years since I got it. (I don't even remember how long I've had it! T_T )

The 1.71 update is the first time (that I remember) that I've tried to update my AR. I wish I could supply a useful other .bin to compare, but 1.71 from CodeJunkies is really the only one I've got, so you've already got it. Sorry...

Hm... whenever I try a software update, it just seems to check for the ARManager. No .bin involved to spit out...

So, with your method, if you were to have all the codes you would ever plan to use already on the ARDS, then used your update method, it would work and have access to those codes, with new ones having to be added manually? I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

I don't think I ever did use a .bin to update it to 1.60; I think it had it when I got it? At the least, I don't recall doing the process... It's been about 4-6 years since I got it. (I don't even remember how long I've had it! T_T )

The 1.71 update is the first time (that I remember) that I've tried to update my AR. I wish I could supply a useful other .bin to compare, but 1.71 from CodeJunkies is really the only one I've got, so you've already got it. Sorry...

Hm... whenever I try a software update, it just seems to check for the ARManager. No .bin involved to spit out...

So, with your method, if you were to have all the codes you would ever plan to use already on the ARDS, then used your update method, it would work and have access to those codes, with new ones having to be added manually? I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

Thats correct. however if your planning to do this i would wait in your case, it sounds like it would work however i have not been able to find a 1.6 firmware bin to verify it is indeed the same case as mine, all i can seem to find is 1.57 i know and the ar2m 1.71. Soon as i find a 1.6 to test i will let you know (and post it for whomever wants to update their firmware 1)

Everything i can find points to 1.6 being updatable and less than is a firmware version 1 type. If your getting the not a firmware file error on the 1.6 you can try this....it may work, you may even get the usb still working on it, however without a way to reverse it i wouldnt recommend trying it first. However if your going to get an ardsi in the end it might not hurt to try it, unless you had plans for it otherwise after you get the new one.

if you want to get a flashcart you can get a dstti on foundmy.com for $15, they are a neat little all around toy to have. otherwise above was a link datel gave me for used ardsi's for $10 or just work with what you got!

I actually got mine to work just fine. Instead of updating from the DSi program(code manager) that comes with it I took an alternative step.

Went to the codejunkies site downloaded the patch and then I dragged the patch over from the downloaded file and it worked that way. I could not get it to work when I updated from the manger program it always went white. So maybe this will help people.

@Shenronjoe: That's how you're supposed to do it. But that doesn't help non-ARDSi problems. Yay that you got yours updated!

@Cephyros: No, it does recognize the firmware file. I works just fine until you tell it to write to the AR, then it pauses a while followed by the useless "Protocol Error" message, leaving the AR suspended mid-action. (turn off, turn on, works fine still, but not updated)

Hm. Maybe I will try it. If it loses USB connecting, I may as well get an ARDSi anyway, since this one won't be as useful anymore. (ARDSi DOES work on previous DS systems as well, right? I've heard it does, but I just wanna double-check; paranoid, ya know? ^_^; )

@Shenronjoe: That's how you're supposed to do it. But that doesn't help non-ARDSi problems. Yay that you got yours updated!

@Cephyros: No, it does recognize the firmware file. I works just fine until you tell it to write to the AR, then it pauses a while followed by the useless "Protocol Error" message, leaving the AR suspended mid-action. (turn off, turn on, works fine still, but not updated)

Hm. Maybe I will try it. If it loses USB connecting, I may as well get an ARDSi anyway, since this one won't be as useful anymore. (ARDSi DOES work on previous DS systems as well, right? I've heard it does, but I just wanna double-check; paranoid, ya know? ^_^; )

Do NOT Try it!. You do have a firmware 2 AR and is updatable!.

Try removing anything in the GBA slot and any game attached to the action replay, boot the action replay as being the ONLY thing in the DS then flashing the firmware, Ive heard this solves the protocol problem.

This method not only will not work for you but in all likelihood will cause the "not a firmware file" error when you do it.

I am haveing the "Not a Firmware File problem. I Have the GEN.2 Cartridge. I emailed datel.com and they told me my cartridge was too an older style that isnt compatible, has anyone been able to get the update with the GEN. 2 cartridge??

I am haveing the "Not a Firmware File problem. I Have the GEN.2 Cartridge. I emailed datel.com and they told me my cartridge was too an older style that isnt compatible, has anyone been able to get the update with the GEN. 2 cartridge??

Yes, look about midway through the last page i put up directions on how to get it to update. However keep in mind that if you do update the USB will cease to function, everything else will be fine.

I Have found out the cause and an ok solution the people geting this error have older DS's they look for different headers newer ones lok for AR2M older ones look for FIRM. I can only verify this works on the type of ARDS with the passthrough that is having this error. The only downfall i have found to this method is that the computer link no longer works, my guess this is the only change in the hardware.

I am not responsible if this doesnt work and unless it gets verified by a couple more people i wouldnt recommend it if you dont have a dev cart. However here are the instructions.

1. Open up the firmware1.71.bin in a hex editor (a free one can be obtained at http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm)

2. Change the first four characters on the file (AR2M) to FIRM DO NOT CHANGE ANYHING ELSE!

3. Flash firmware using standard method.

Note: Due to the fact that this removes all PC Link support it is difficult to remove and impossable without a dev cart. You will also loose the ability to add codes from the PC(obviously)

If you have a dev cart follow these steps to revert to the previous firmware to get back the download ability(but loose all updates since 1.52)

1. Find the ards ROM file, i will not link it here

2. Put the ARDS.nds file onto your flash card in the NDS area.

3. Boot the ARDS ROM

4. When the file loads and you see the standard ARDS screen pull out the dev card and insert the action replay DS and the mouse icon will appear.

5. Open the mouse icon to go into update mode.

6. connect the DS to the ARDS software, it will connect, but show no games, this is normal.

7. Click the software update on the menu and allow it to download the updated device software, it should be located in the installation directory.

8. Drag the firmware.bin to the titlebar to start the downgrade process. When completed your ards will be back in the 1.52 firmware with update ability.

Hope this helps some people.

what do you mean by "flash firmware" is that another step before updating or is that the updating step?

No problem!

alright i just did it and it worked, so far as the codes i entered before all work in the AR, but it wont let me add any more codes, it keeps saying "insert action replay" whenever i finish entering a code for it to save.

any ideas on how to fix this or is my ARDS completely shot now?

alright i just did it and it worked, so far as the codes i entered before all work in the AR, but it wont let me add any more codes, it keeps saying "insert action replay" whenever i finish entering a code for it to save.

any ideas on how to fix this or is my ARDS completely shot now?

Shoot, i can confirm this on mine...Im sorry i sent all my codes before i upgraded it and the entry form appeared to work untill now i never attempted to save the code.

Do you know anybody with an NDS flash card or an action reply like your own?

crud.

no, i dont know anyone else with a flash card or ards,

is there no other way to fix it?

unfortunately the way i wrote about the flash cart is the only "certain" way, the pre 1.57 firmware ARDS should work but untested, I could not find any other way.

@Cephyros: I'm pretty sure I'd done that before, but whatever, I tried again. To be specific, I used:

-a Windows 7 PC

-the 1.25 ARManager

-followed all the instructions, in order from CodeJunkies

-had no games in either slot

-AND did a full reset on the ARDS right beforehand.

Result: "Protocol Error", after that stupid pause after saying "yes" to write the firmware. GAH!

sigh...

I don't get it. I have an extreme knack for the worst luck with things like this, despite the fact that I work with gaming/electronics/programs/etc for fun a lot! It's only at the times where it begins to matter that it fails.

Or how there is a super-tiny, barely noticable difference at the weirdest times in the wierdest places in the wierdest way.

Ok, yeah, now I'm just whining. -_-; Who wouldn't be, after 4-5 MONTHS of this!?

Do you think I should just give up? I'm out of ideas, except one: MAYBE, somehow, it's the connecting USB cable? Maybe I'll borrow my friend's sometime soon and try...

@Cephyros: I'm pretty sure I'd done that before, but whatever, I tried again. To be specific, I used:

-a Windows 7 PC

-the 1.25 ARManager

-followed all the instructions, in order from CodeJunkies

-had no games in either slot

-AND did a full reset on the ARDS right beforehand.

Result: "Protocol Error", after that stupid pause after saying "yes" to write the firmware. GAH!

sigh...

I don't get it. I have an extreme knack for the worst luck with things like this, despite the fact that I work with gaming/electronics/programs/etc for fun a lot! It's only at the times where it begins to matter that it fails.

Or how there is a super-tiny, barely noticable difference at the weirdest times in the wierdest places in the wierdest way.

Ok, yeah, now I'm just whining. -_-; Who wouldn't be, after 4-5 MONTHS of this!?

Do you think I should just give up? I'm out of ideas, except one: MAYBE, somehow, it's the connecting USB cable? Maybe I'll borrow my friend's sometime soon and try...

If you can transfer codes its not the cable, i know i cant eveng et mine to connect in windows 7 i ahve to use windows XP.

Thad being said have you tried to run action replay code manager in windows XP compatability mode? it might be a windows 7 problem?

Not likely. The exact same happens on both my Win XP and Win 2K systems. Also, when using the 1.25 ARManager on 7 (has to be that one to work on Vista & 7, as I understand), you have to give it some time to connect for some stupid reason (in my case, at least). I've always given up connecting it to 1.25 Manager on my XP... maybe I should try that again, for kicks.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not the cable too. I just can't think of what would make my situation any different from those that have succeeded to update. Maybe I should try a DSlite? I really can't see that making a difference though.

What's funny, is you can get the "Protocol Error" message any time you want while transferring codes to the AR, by simply disconnecting the cable. It'll have the same effect on the ActionReplay, freezing it and requiring you to just turn it off and on again with no damage.

So, I wonder if "Protocol Error" just means 'the connection is gone', or something like that...