Action Replay / Pokemon Black and White Version (JPN) Incompatability Discussion

No I haven't seen any of their pages "not working correctly". What do you mean by that? Simply not working correctly could easily be a browser or connection issue you know...

There IS an update, it's been around since October 2010, and there is footage of it working. The only problem is that for some reason, the update always fails at the point where you tell the system to write it to the AR, with the cute little absolutely unhelpful error message of "Protocol Error"

Also, people who have and ARDSi have been able to successfully update it and use codes just fine. The issue is just with the ARDS basic.

Many people have many codes for the AR for B/W. And they work.

ROM's aren't the topic here. Sure, they've got working ones, but this is for using codes on a PROPER copy of Black/White, hence the use of the Action Replay.

What page "here" where???

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i tried to get to the codejunkies UK page and the load failed....i ve tried it out with FireFox and with InternetExplorer......so if you can connect to them show me how.....and all other pages work properly.....and if you can see the date on their page it shows 2010.....but it is stil 2011 now!.....So i know that there´s no one responding....so if you can contact them let them know that they should fix their servers!

Correct. If you're having trouble accessing the page from you own computer/network, that's most likely where your trouble is. You should try it from at least one other computer on a different network before you assume it's the server's end being the trouble.

Regardless, this thread is about the problems with getting Action Replays to update, not getting web pages to load.

Since I can't upload a file to a post, here is the link of the download of the update (As in, right-click, save link as...):

http://uk.codejunkies.com/support_downloads/Ar-firmware-1-71.zip

Also, an interesting update on Datel's Update page for Firmware 1.71: They have now posted a How To video at the very top of the page, showing the update being done, from start to finish. (So, I'm trying it AGAIN. Though, the only difference I noticed was going to the Update screen on the ARDS before connecting to the AR Manager...)

Edit: As expected - Protocol Error. ugh. sigh, this is getting very tiring. Datel keeps just reiterating the same thing, that it works as stated, despite no one else seems able to, we now have someone here that claims to have done the update successfully but no one else has posted being able to do so as well, GAH!!!

I have to wonder, Alezandros, about how long did it take to write the firmware once you got to that step (after it asks if you want to write it)? Could it be we've just been impatient, expecting it to write in just a moment? I just don't know.

It sure would be nice if we at least knew what the "Protocol Error" IS. Maybe then we could fix the problem. Heck, I'm starting to think that the error is that a sudden disconnection from the DS occurs at that point, making it so it doesn't send the confirmation to the ARDS... But what would cause THAT to happen? Something on the computer?

but it is not the webpage only....i can not do updates to my CodeMangager there is always a Server error window popping up on my windows PC....and it worked all fine till the last year´s Summer....then i could not get updates nor enter the webpage correctly!

So may someone please help me out of that mess and tell me how to fix this?

@ dsa: Look. As far as any of us know, you are the ONLY person here who is having problems accessing their site (Personally, I just now had no trouble accessing the page to look for an easy help e-mail address for you. I did find their phone number, but it's a $1-per-minute kind). You say there is some "server error"; well, what specifically does it say? You're not really telling anyone what your problem is. Don't ask for solutions when we have NO idea what your problem is. Have you tested to make sure it couldn't be your firewall or something else about your system that would be causing your problem?

And, as I said, this is NOT a web-page-access help thread! You're not as likely to find experts to help with your problems when you ask in the wrong place, even if it is (quite) possible some people here can.

Have you tried ANYTHING that's been suggested, such as testing from a totally different computer, or the download link earlier?

(To those mysteriously offended by it, sorry about the 'overuse' of caps)

Also, sorry if I seem to be trying to be a know-it-all/braggart/whatever. I'm not an Admin/etc., but when someone keeps posting so annoyingly, even I get bothered by it. If you've got a question, fine, even if it's 'off-topic'/whatever, it doesn't bug most people. JUST DON'T JUST KEEP RE-POSTING IT where it doesn't belong and actually try what is suggested!

@ Luck: Sorry, but this is not a cheat-code compliation thread either. However, you can go here to look for codes:

http://cheats.gbatemp.net/forum/index.php?topic=5264.0

There are a compilation of codes for Black and White versions (Note that these games use different codes for each version), but you can find even more codes throughout the thread. (Over 50 pages) I wish it were better organized, but that's how it is (frustrating, I know). Good luck! ^_^

please don´t be so rude....!

And i think i know now that it has something to do with my PC.....because on my WII (yes it is on the same Network) it worked fine to go to codejunkies.com and so on!

And to show you what i mean about the Update problem here´s a Photo....:

th_68220_Zwischenablage01_122_26lo.jpg

so it would be nice if someone can tell me how to fix this problem as all other things work fine....and i have tried out the link....but it ended in a server reset error message.....and i only have the windows firewall on....but that´s not the problem.....so maybe there´s a "bad Script" or so and i hope someone can tell me where the info is stored to block only the AR Page and the AR Servers?

• 4 weeks later...

Okaay... so, no updates on getting an original ARDS to update? Cause I really want to just use the one I have, and not have to purchase a new one... (I'm not stingy, I'm just unemployed at the time being. Makes buying things for fun a lot more difficult you know...)

@dsa:

I didn't intend to sound rude. Sorry. And sorry if this is unneeded and you've solved it. -_-;

Have you tried reinstalling the program? (Totally wiping it off your PC first, of course) And just to make sure, how do you know it's not your firewall? Did you try accessing with firewall totally disabled? Cause the screen you have there sure suggests (to me) that it's something on your PC, and not of the program, most likely, causing the problem. That, or your PC just has a lousy network connection if it wireless could be possible.

Lastly, have you looked for a Code Junkies Help thread? They'd likely have more info to go on you know.

Okaay... so, no updates on getting an original ARDS to update? Cause I really want to just use the one I have, and not have to purchase a new one... (I'm not stingy, I'm just unemployed at the time being. Makes buying things for fun a lot more difficult you know...)

@dsa:

I didn't intend to sound rude. Sorry. And sorry if this is unneeded and you've solved it. -_-;

Have you tried reinstalling the program? (Totally wiping it off your PC first, of course) And just to make sure, how do you know it's not your firewall? Did you try accessing with firewall totally disabled? Cause the screen you have there sure suggests (to me) that it's something on your PC, and not of the program, most likely, causing the problem. That, or your PC just has a lousy network connection if it wireless could be possible.

Lastly, have you looked for a Code Junkies Help thread? They'd likely have more info to go on you know.

well as i told you that codejunkies page is not reachable from my system....so i either go there with my very old and lame pc pick up the update and hope that then everything works fine....and firewall is only the standart (windows) on which never made any trouble....as i told you...till summer everything was fine, but when i returned in fall trying to update i got these errors....so maybe my "new" PC is way crap, because he even let me not install a webcam correctly or the nintendo wifi-stick......well next time i´ll have to buy my pc from a friend who works on a local store....never again on amazon.de! :D

Can't we have ANY feedback on the ARDS thing? Does anyone know what's up with this? Am I the only person left who's ARDS won't update?? (I'd believe it, with my luck...)

It'll be closed before I ever find out the solution... T_T

I just want to be able to clone and get the one-per-game/none-yet items in duplicate... (like the Dragon Trio's Orbs, or Lati@s' Soul Dew)

@dsa:

I meant a CodeJunkies Help Thread from somewhere other than CodeJunkies, so you could access it (Heck, they don't even have one to begin with, and one from them would probably be the LEAST useful place to go, if this ARDS update thing isn't evidence enough). I dunno, maybe this site has one. I haven't looked. But it doesn't hurt to do so with stuff like that.

One for PC problems like what you've got would be a good idea too, just sayin'.

It doesn't matter if the firewall never gave you trouble before; that it hasn't in the past isn't much evidence. So many problems have been found to be caused by firewalls (especially the ones built in) getting in the way. If it's the case, you'd probably just have to make exceptions in it's settings.

Of course, it could just be a lousy PC.

Also, if you reply, PLEASE don't just quote; it takes way too much space, when anyone can just look at the previous post. Just a request.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone having problems updating the firmware? I download the firmware file, but for some reason, when I extract it, the file wants to be a VLC media file (does this automatically) and when I try and drag it on to the ARDS window, it just comes up with the black circle with a line through it, am I doing something wrong here?

P.S: Im on the European Version 1.2.1 atm, if thats of any help

For those having problems downloading the update 1.71

Ar-firmware-1-71.zip

Let me know if it helps anyone as I'm having the same problem. I suspected problems with my firewall, and made exceptions for both Windows and my anti-virus software. Still nothing. I gave up a few months ago, but will look at it again since I'm not alone with this problem.

Ar-firmware-1-71.zip

i cant make a vid for it, but i can list how i did it.

things used:

original brick DS

ARDS

1. put ARDS into DS without any game cartridge inside.

2. start DS, leave it on the main ARDS screen

3. start ARDS software on computer.

4. plug USB cable into ARDS. (let the system do the work of finding and connecting)

5. drag and drop firmware onto the ARDS software somewhere along the top area.

6. follow instructions from there to finish the patching process on the codejunkies site.

that's all i did and it worked for me. i'm using win 7 64-bit and the latest AR software (v1.25)

These instructions made it so clear. I cannot believe nobody saw this:

What is causing this is that you have something in your GBA Slot. TAKE IT OUT, even if it's the default GBA cart placeholder. This is what is causing the update to fail.

These instructions made it so clear. I cannot believe nobody saw this:

What is causing this is that you have something in your GBA Slot. TAKE IT OUT, even if it's the default GBA cart placeholder. This is what is causing the update to fail.

I followed these instructions perfectly, and didn't have anything in my GBA slot, and it still says 'Protocol Error', I don't have a clue how to fix this.

Edit; This 'update' deleted all the other games I had on my AR, and now won't let me add any back because it doesn't have enough space, apparently. All it's done is failed to update and caused my AR to be no use at all.

Kryn, that was exactly what happened to me. My first thought was Datel bricked my AR so I would buy one for the dsi. I no longer have any respect for Datel, this is not the only product that I had problems with. Tried getting them to update the one for psp. Ended up just returning it to gamestop. I've googeled this problem several times and found dozens of forum posts devoted solely to people having this problem. Everyone is the same, a few guys say they got it to work, every time saying they followed the instructions exactly, so on and so forth. Oh well, we need another company to produce a cheat device to give them some competition. Anyone know if Datel's the only cheat device used in Japan?

WARNING!!

This method has been confirmed to work with the noted loss of USB, HOWEVER it has also been found out to be unable to enter new codes either!

I do NOT recommend this unless you have either a flash/dev cart, or a second ARDS with a firmware of 1.56 or lower(might work with 1.57) I Repeat i do NOT recommend this without a way to go back, it is a verified method but it is *NOT* guaranteed to work on *YOUR* cart!! If you do not have a dev cart you have been warned of the risk!

I Have found out the cause and an ok solution the people geting this error have older DS's they look for different headers newer ones lok for AR2M older ones look for FIRM. I can only verify this works on the type of ARDS with the passthrough that is having this error. The only downfall i have found to this method is that the computer link no longer works, my guess this is the only change in the hardware.

I am not responsible if this doesnt work and unless it gets verified by a couple more people i wouldnt recommend it if you dont have a dev cart. However here are the instructions.

1. Open up the firmware1.71.bin in a hex editor (a free one can be obtained at http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm)

2. Change the first four characters on the file (AR2M) to FIRM DO NOT CHANGE ANYHING ELSE!

3. Flash firmware using standard method.

Note: Due to the fact that this removes all PC Link support it is difficult to remove and impossable without a dev cart. You will also loose the ability to add codes from the PC(obviously)

If you have a dev cart follow these steps to revert to the previous firmware to get back the download ability(but loose all updates since 1.52)

1. Find the ards ROM file, i will not link it here

2. Put the ARDS.nds file onto your flash card in the NDS area.

3. Boot the ARDS ROM

4. When the file loads and you see the standard ARDS screen pull out the dev card and insert the action replay DS and the mouse icon will appear.

5. Open the mouse icon to go into update mode.

6. connect the DS to the ARDS software, it will connect, but show no games, this is normal.

7. Click the software update on the menu and allow it to download the updated device software, it should be located in the installation directory.

8. Drag the firmware.bin to the titlebar to start the downgrade process. When completed your ards will be back in the 1.52 firmware with update ability.

Hope this helps some people.

Edited by Cephyros
Discovered flaw in method

@Cephyros: O_O I haven't tested what you've said, but that's mostly just because I don't want to lose the ability to use the AR Manager (since codes are often HUGE nowadays). Mainly, I have to admit I have no idea what the "dev cart" is that you mentioned, nor how I would use it... -_-;

Can anyone else confirm this? Or mabe even have found a way to make the change without losing the connectivity?

This could FINALLY be the answer we've all been looking for! >_<

@Cephyros: O_O I haven't tested what you've said, but that's mostly just because I don't want to lose the ability to use the AR Manager (since codes are often HUGE nowadays). Mainly, I have to admit I have no idea what the "dev cart" is that you mentioned, nor how I would use it... -_-;

Can anyone else confirm this? Or mabe even have found a way to make the change without losing the connectivity?

This could FINALLY be the answer we've all been looking for! >_<

Dev carts are a tool that allow one to run homebrew or their own unsigned code on a nintendo DS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_storage_devices

since this is a very grey area and i dont wish to break any rules so i will leave it at that.

i should say that you might be able to reflash an ARDS using a second good ARDS using the same method from step 4, however i only have one ARDS and this is only a theory and untested.

Wait, so you're saying that to restore the AR's firmware to be able to connect to the ARManager, you'd have to have a version of the ARDS that has an SD/MicroSD card slot? I couldn't do that, mine's just the basic ARDS...

That, and I have no idea how I'd be able to check the AR's ROM, if you mean by connecting the ARDS to the PC via it's connection cable. The PC won't notice the device outside of the ARManager, let alone make it possible to access it to check for it's ROM... Or I'm just totally misunderstanding this, which is quite likely. -_-;

Hmm... I'm starting to have no choice but to admit that getting an ARDSi is the best way to go after all. sigh... T_T

I got a PM from somebody who e-mailed Datel, and this is what it says:

Dear*****,

Thank you for your recent enquiry. The reported message indicates that you own an older release of the Action Replay hardware, which is using a firmware version prior to v1.60. You can find your current firmware version number on your Action Replay DS, set to its home screen, where the version number is displayed on your consoles top screen.

This release of the Action Replay DS hardware is not compatible with the games Pokemon Black and Pokemon White or the v1.71 firmware update. You will require a newer release of the Action Replay hardware to use cheat codes with these games. We would recommend the Action Replay DSi which is compatible with the DS and DS Lite consoles. This product can be purchased from the website link below:

http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/DSi-Action-Replay__EF000815.aspx

Yours sincerely,

Codejunkies

Generation 1 cart: http://upload.pokefans.net/m25_4yf9jrc9k.jpg

Generation 2 cart: http://upload.pokefans.net/m25_4yf7odegu.jpg

In short, if you have a generation 1 cart, you can't upgrade it to 1.71. I have a gen 2 cart, as do a lot of you, I suspect, so I doubt this is the problem.

EDIT: it transpires that alternatively, ARDSi works on the DS/DS Lite as well (I always thought it wouldn't)

Wait, so you're saying that to restore the AR's firmware to be able to connect to the ARManager, you'd have to have a version of the ARDS that has an SD/MicroSD card slot? I couldn't do that, mine's just the basic ARDS...

That, and I have no idea how I'd be able to check the AR's ROM, if you mean by connecting the ARDS to the PC via it's connection cable. The PC won't notice the device outside of the ARManager, let alone make it possible to access it to check for it's ROM... Or I'm just totally misunderstanding this, which is quite likely. -_-;

Hmm... I'm starting to have no choice but to admit that getting an ARDSi is the best way to go after all. sigh... T_T

not exactly that sd version wont help at all as the ards rom is a commercial rom and will not boot on the ar media version. you need a flash cart similar to the cyclods or m3real, maybe r4.

OR an older version 1 action replay might work if you boot into it then switch out that action replay for the upgraded one and flash the firmware to that one, this is unconfirmed but theorized.

I got a PM from somebody who e-mailed Datel, and this is what it says:

Generation 1 cart: http://upload.pokefans.net/m25_4yf9jrc9k.jpg

Generation 2 cart: http://upload.pokefans.net/m25_4yf7odegu.jpg

In short, if you have a generation 1 cart, you can't upgrade it to 1.71. I have a gen 2 cart, as do a lot of you, I suspect, so I doubt this is the problem.

EDIT: it transpires that alternatively, ARDSi works on the DS/DS Lite as well (I always thought it wouldn't)

i emailed and got basically the same email with the added line

"If you would like to upgrade to the DSi Action Replay, you may purchase a used DSi Action Replay for $9.99 + Shipping & Handling at www.datelgaming.com. These Action Replays have been fully tested and come with a 30 day warranty. "
this may be an alternative to the less techie.

I have a generation 2 cart with generation 1 original firmware, must have been a very early generation 2, experimenting and figuring out the above i was able to use 1.71 with the limitation stated. I replied to date in a less that positive way.

I hate to break it to you but your firmware is about 90% compatible, the only difference is the usb library, and then the first 4 bytes in the header, i changed the AR2M to FIRM and it loaded and flashed without a hitch, My son is using it now to play pokemon white, the only issue is He's lost the ability for USB updates. Not all of us customers are dumb, and i have to say i am rather disheartened that you guys aren't willing to support your older firmware when all it would require different is a usb/transfer library change before a second compile.

If the firmware were completely incompatible, like a complete hardware change, this E-Mail would have gone alot different, I do understand what a hassle it is to keep two completely different projects up to date..

Thanks for giving something, then decided i bought it too long ago and restricting its usefulness, i wont be buying another.

Looking forward to the reply.

I suspect my instructions above work on a generation1 cart pictured above but i don't have one to try if somebody can confirm(someone who has the flash cart to revert if it doesn't) Let me know.