Hex Values and Trashbytes in B/W

RyuuShin

All three of the ones that changed to dream ball had an 86h of 19, which overwrote the 83h to 19.

If you opened them up in a hex editor (HxD) and changed the 0x86 location to 00, you should be fine. Save the new file (new checksum doesnt matter) and then shift the new file.

I checked data from other PKMs I have (Heal Ball, Quick Ball) and they didn't have a 86h=19. I don't know about the Ninetails either, assuming it was bred.

Just wondering, did you ever put them in ball capsules? If you did, were they still in capsules when you grabbed the PKMs?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, do you guys think it is possible to pokeshift a pokemon in reverse. what I mean is to turn a V gen pkm file to a IV gen pkm file?

Not without informatively editing the PKM file.

Earlier in this thread I documented the hex changes of shifted PKMs, all you would have to do is make up hex that is legal for a PKM in gen 4.

I've done it for 4-->3 (size is 100bytes in gen 3 compared to 136bytes). Pretty much it's just a reverse character change, location, and adding in some hex :)

I can't recall if they were ever in ball capsules but they certainly weren't when i grabbed the PKMs.

Was just wondering because I've never seen a 0x86 be 19

This program should simulate the effects of a 4th generation Pokemon being shifted with the Pokeshifter. All information was gather from what kaphotics posted. Since I only have 1 DS, I can not run tests to see if Pokemon ran through both the Pokeshifter and this program made 1:1 binary matches.

The only problems it has is with an 86h =/= 0.

The program is perfectly fine shifting a DPPt Pokemon, if you want to get one from that.

The only problems it has is with an 86h =/= 0.

The program is perfectly fine shifting a DPPt Pokemon, if you want to get one from that.

86h: HGSS Pokeball

04 (pokeball) went to 00, which is pretty inconclusive. Need to test more.

I just took that as the HGSS ball data was being moved to the DPPt ball data and was being reset to 0. If you can run some test shifting legit HGSS ball Pokemon(like lure, heavy, etc) with the real shifting program from Nintendo we might be able to see what it is doing there.

@kaphotics

Where can I find the Met Location of the PK? I've been trying to find it in my Eigakan Celebil both shifted & non-shifted (using Kazo's little program).

see my compiled post

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?11474-Hex-Values-and-Trashbytes-in-B-W&p=93598&viewfull=1#post93598

Under transfer machine it has the met locations for used/unused for celebi/crown.

The transfer machine is different from the shifter.

• 3 weeks later...
This program should simulate the effects of a 4th generation Pokemon being shifted with the Pokeshifter. All information was gather from what kaphotics posted. Since I only have 1 DS, I can not run tests to see if Pokemon ran through both the Pokeshifter and this program made 1:1 binary matches.

This program wont work on my computer. Can you help me make it work?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Abilities are calculated differently this gen.

Upon transferring from gen 4 to gen 5 and then evolving, the multi ability Pokemon may change abilities compared to what it would have in DPPtHGSS.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up! Evolve THEN shift/transfer--got it! So now natures, IVs, AND abilities are not related to the PID anymore huh? So is the ability stored as hidden hex as well? So it seems the PID only matters for gender/shinyness? Gotta redo my gen V pokes now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

An update for the first use of trash bytes in gen 5...

When evolving an English Pokemon on a Japanese game, un-overwritten hexes of the old name get left as trash. This may only occur in WiFi trades.

Attached is my Gurdurr evolved into Conkeldurr in a friend's Japanese game via WiFi trade. As you can see...

Full Hex of Namefield:
ED 30 FC 30 D6 30 B7 30 F3 30 FF FF 72 00 FF FF 00 00 00 00 FF FF

Unterminated Japanese Name for Conkeldurr:
ED 30 FC 30 D6 30 B7 30 F3 30 FF FF

Unterminated English Name for Gurdurr:
g     u     r     d     u     r     72 00 FF FF 
                                   r                                  72 00 is 'r'

And then they are terminated.

As you can see, the Japanese game only cares about the 5 characters and the terminator, and leaves everything else as "trash".

conk.pkm

conk.pkm