Hex Values and Trashbytes in B/W

RyuuShin

Hi people.

I was sondering if there is anything known about hex values and Trashbytes in Pokemon Black ans White.

Reason is i tried to migrate my Celebi to B/W but pokeshifter wont work for me cause the Versions have diffrent languages.

So i tought of directly placing the celebi in my new Pokemon black.

Sadly the Celebi doesent seem to work for the zorua event then.

I Suppose thats cause trough migration several things in the pokemon data are changed.

For Example the only Value in use for B/W seems to be 41h which previously indicated the number of shiny leafes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PokeGen has ALL of these "changes" implemented already. There is no need to have a guide, this post is like a Wiki instead of a guide (guide isn't needed. Use PokeGen)

Natures follow the same convention as the old PIDs except they are not related by the old calculation. They are stored as hex.

---

Compiled hex changes of [4th->] 5th Gen PKMs

All of my other info posts are redundant with this edited compiled post (I'll leave em anyways)

Hex Differences in Black and White Pokemon caught ingame:

41h - New Nature (Hidden) Hex

00 --- Hardy --- がんばりや

01 --- Lonely --- さみしがり

02 --- Brave --- ゆうかん

03 --- Adamant --- いじっぱり

04 --- Naughty --- やんちゃ

05 --- Bold --- ずぶとい

06 --- Docile --- すなお

07 --- Relaxed --- のんき

08 --- Impish --- わんぱく

09 --- Lax --- のうてんき

0A --- Timid --- おくびょう

0B --- Hasty --- せっかち

0C --- Serious --- まじめ

0D --- Jolly --- ようき

0E --- Naive --- むじゃき

0F --- Modest --- ひかえめ

10 --- Mild --- おっとり

11 --- Quiet --- れいせい

12 --- Bashful --- てれや

13 --- Rash --- うっかりや

14 --- Calm --- おだやか

15 --- Gentle --- おとなしい

16 --- Sassy --- なまいき

17 --- Careful --- しんちょう

18 --- Quirky --- きまぐれ

42h - Dream World Ability Flag

Alright, so I caught a Daruma Mode Hihidaruma. It had Daruma Mode (Dreamworld Ability), but notably a 42h.

00 - Not flagged to have a Dream World Ability

01 - Flagged to have a Dream World Ability

I then created 2 Jaroda (Smuglord) as parents, with 42h flagged and Perversity as the ability. Their offspring had a 50% chance to have the Dream World Ability, and the ones that did had 01 as their 42h.

Furthermore, I bred 2 of the offspring that did inherit the flag (and ability), and still got a 50% chance of inheritance.

When breeding, the female must have the flag (might not work if they have the incorrect ability) and either must not be Ditto.

48-5Dh: Nickname

Last 2 hex slots are have 2 terminators (FF FF)

All Generation 5 PKM (nick)names end with 2 terminators (FF FF).

68-77h: OT Name

Terminated with \FFFF

All Generation 5 PKM OTs end with 2 terminators (FF FF).

82h - Pokerus' Hex

Pokerus's hex values have changed. I was lucky enough to get it naturally, so I checked the values.

00 - Unexposed

60 - Cured

62 - Infected, no pokemon in party to spread to.

63 - Infected, 1+ pokemon in party to spread to.

61 - ??? (I never saw this occur).

Due note that there may be different values, Pokerus could have different strains O.o

Setting a PKM to the old Pokerus convention still has them as contagious, but this different strain is an oddity I can't explain.

83h - Pokeball Hex

83h: Poké Ball

00- Poké Ball (Default)

01 - Master Ball

02 - Ultra Ball

03 - Great Ball

04 - Poké Ball

05 - Safari Ball

06 - Net Ball

07 - Dive Ball

08 - Nest Ball

09 - Repeat Ball

0A - Timer Ball

0B - Luxury Ball

0C - Premier Ball

0D - Dusk Ball

0E - Heal Ball

0F - Quick Ball

10 - Cherish Ball

11 - Fast Ball

12 - Level Ball

13 - Lure Ball

14 - Heavy Ball

15 - Love Ball

16 - Friend Ball

17 - Moon Ball

18 - Comp Ball

19 - Dream Ball

Note: Optional Changes may be required. More testing some time this week.

85h - (Encounter Method) and other hidden hex (Met Location) from DPPt/HGSS of B/W originated Pokemon

Nonexistant. All are zeroes. Getting some Pokeshifted Pokemon to see if they even keep, I bet they will (edit: they do)

There might be something else different with the first IV hex as I tried to recreate a pokemon from scratch and that was the only different place. I haven't had any looks at pokeshifted/transferred files so until then, no information. (edit: now I have)

you saw 42h and 82h changes on the internet first here at ProjectPokemon :D

Hex Changes of PokeShifted Pokemon (Gen 3/4 to Gen 5)

Movesets

Pokemon cannot carry over old HM moves, which is the same as what was required for Pal Parking into Generation 4.

0A-0Bh: Held Item

Can't shift something with an item.

Thus the hex for both of these positions must be zero for a freshly shifted Pokemon.

41h: Nature

All PokeShifted Pokemon receive a 41h according to their nature. See nature hex map above.

42h: Dream World Flag Hex

No Shifted Pokemon should have a value other than 00. No Generation 4 Pokemon can have Dream World Abilities.

Thus this value remains unchanged from 00.

44-47h: PtHGSS Locations

PtHGSS locations are dropped on Shifting. All should be zeroes.

Names undergo a character change.

Pal Park, Egg, and Mystery Gift Pokemon trash bytes are kept, but the last 2 hex slots are chopped with 2 terminators (FF FF)

All Generation 5 PKM (nick)names end with 2 terminators (FF FF).

No trash bytes added/changed, only chopped.

OT name undergoes a character change.

Eggs: No trash bytes -> No trash bytes to chop. Name characters are changed to B/W, and nothing else changes.

Pal Parked: Pal Park, Egg, and Mystery Gift Pokemon trash bytes are kept, but the last 2 hex slots are chopped with 2 terminators (FF FF).

No trash bytes are added, only chopped.

7E-81h: Egg Location + Met Location

Egg location hex for hatched Pokemon is kept. ie 2000=Daycare Couple [D0 07] remains (from HGSS).

Met location must be [31 75] 30001 decimal, the new location for all PokeShifted Pokemon.

No met data from other generations is preserved, thus it must be 30001 (decimal).

82h: Pokerus

No change from generation 4 convention, thus it is unchanged. 00 uninfected, 10 cured, 11 infected.

85h: Encounter Type

Encounter Type of shifted Pokemon stays.

86h: HGSS Pokeball

04 (pokeball) went to 00, which is pretty inconclusive. Need to test more.

87h: HGSS Pokethlon Stats

Set to 00. Wiped.

I do not see evidence for a trash byte algorithm. All trash from generation 4 stays. Yay? (long live trashbytes.exe, gotta chop tho!)

All that remains to check is just HGSS Ball, Mystery Gift confirmations, Fateful Encounters, and Japanese Pokemon shifting. After that I'll post an entire revised list of what changed so that someone can make a converter!

edit: lol kazo made one, here

Transfer Machine Pokemon (Crown + Eigakan)

Met Location

Unused (Can still Activate Event):

30010 for Celebi

30012 for Entei/Raikou/Suicune,

Used (Can not Activate Event):

30011 for Celebi

30013 for Entei/Raikou/Suicune

Fateful Encounter Flag

Flagged.

41h

Adjusts to the new nature standard.

46-47h: PtHGSS Met Location

Dropped. Both are 00.

All spots after the new name are FF.

All spots after the new OT name are FF.

86h: HGSS PokeBall

Set to 00.

87h: Pokethlon Hex

Set to 00. Untested, but theorized as observed in Pokeshifted.

It starts off as 00 in HGSS until you actually use it to participate. Nothing of value was lost.

They will activate with the correct met location and need a Fateful Encounter flag.

Pokemon sent to/from the Dream World

Pokemon sent to the Dream World have nothing special added to the hex, they appear exactly as they were before they were put in (Happiness+Checksum is the only difference).

Pokemon from the Dream World have their own met locations, and the 42h flag if they have a Dream World ability. Some may have special moves.

Pokemon Caught in a Dream Ball have an 83h of 19 (Dream Ball)

Edit: (April) There ARE trash bytes this generation. See page 4.

Edited by Kaphotics
complete, added link to pokegen

Hmm ..

Maby i am getting something wrong here but it

seems that none of my Pokemons Hidden Values match the List of Natures.

Actualy some of my pokemon with the same nature have different Values.

Maby you want to take a looka t my Sazando.

it is actualy modest with 17 in 41h.

No, you are probably reading the Katakana wrong. I've checked my Careful and Modest ones in game and their hexes match, and they line up with the save editors.

Hex Changes of PokeShifted Pokemon (Gen 3/4 to Gen 5) [Last Update: 9/26 3:48 PDT]

0A-0Bh: Held Item

Can't shift something with an item.

Thus the hex for both of these positions must be zero for a freshly shifted Pokemon.

41h: Nature

All PokeShifted Pokemon receive a 41h according to their nature. See nature hex map above.

42h: Dream World Flag Hex

No Shifted Pokemon should have a value other than 00. No Generation 4 Pokemon can have Dream World Abilities.

Thus this value remains unchanged from 00.

44-47h: PtHGSS Locations

PtHGSS locations are dropped on Shifting. All should be zeroes.

Pal Park, Egg, and Mystery Gift Pokemon trash bytes are kept, but the last 2 hex slots are chopped with 2 terminators (FF FF)

All Generation 5 PKM (nick)names end with 2 terminators (FF FF)

No trash bytes added/changed, only chopped.

Eggs: No trash bytes -> No trash bytes to chop. Name characters are changed to B/W, and nothing else changes.

Pal Parked: Pal Park, Egg, and Mystery Gift Pokemon trash bytes are kept, but the last 2 hex slots are chopped with 2 terminators (FF FF).

No trash bytes are added, only chopped.

7E-81h: Egg Location + Met Location

Egg location hex is kept. ie 2000=Daycare Couple [D0 07] remains (from HGSS).

Met location must be [31 75] 30001 decimal, the new location for all PokeShifted Pokemon.

No met data from other generations is preserved, thus it must be 30001 (decimal).

82h: Pokerus

No change from generation 4 convention, thus it is unchanged. 00 uninfected, 10 cured, 11 infected.

85h: Encounter Type

Encounter Type of shifted Pokemon stays.

86h: HGSS Pokeball

04 (pokeball) went to 00, which is pretty inconclusive. Need to test more.

87h: HGSS Pokethlon Stats

Set to 00. Wiped.

I do not see evidence for a trash byte algorithm. All trash from generation 4 stays. Yay? (long live trashbytes.exe, gotta chop tho!)

All that remains to check is just HGSS Ball, Mystery Gift confirmations, Fateful Encounters, and Japanese Pokemon shifting. After that I'll post an entire revised list of what changed so that someone can make a converter!

Edited by Kaphotics

Ok i found the reason for my confusion.

A Bug in my software made me see different Values.

Your List seems to be perfectly fine.

Thank you for your work.

Also the Natures are written in Hiragana ;P

I Have tried to alter the celebi data so that it will look migrated with shifter

but the event still doesent activate.

Edited by RyuuShin

Transfer Machine Pokemon (Crown + Eigakan)

Met Location

Unused (Can still Activate Event):

30010 for Celebi

30012 for Entei/Raikou/Suicune,

Used (Can not Activate Event):

30011 for Celebi

30013 for Entei/Raikou/Suicune

Fateful Encounter Flag

Flagged.

41h

Adjusts to new nature standard.

Zoroark/Zoroa Met Locations

Zoroark: 72

Zoroa: 8

Nothing special about them.

They will activate with the correct met location (and probably need a Fateful Encounter flag too.

I'd need Transferred PKMs to figure out if anything else changes.

Ok i see.

I didnt expect it anyway but you never know. ^^

Also is there anything Special about Dream World Pokemon ?

Some Pokemon only make sense with their new Dream World Abilitys so i want to be able to create those.

Yes you can with the 42h being flagged. See post #8! Since there haven't been any dream world pokemon given out by global link yet, I'm unsure whether or not changing to a dream world ability will change the IVPID, or will just flag it. (I hope it just gets flagged).

If you want to breed dream world Pokemon, have a female (mother) with the 42h flagged+ability and breed it with a compatible male, and it's ~50%. That way you can get a legitimate PID and get the DW ability legitimately (sort of ;D)

Ok i get it.

The best option will be to Create Hatched pokemon with the correct ability.

If the Egg PID is generated the same way as in HG/SS it would be hard to impossible to proof the pokemon being not legit.

I gess we will know for sure when the RNG is fully understood.

This program should simulate the effects of a 4th generation Pokemon being shifted with the Pokeshifter. All information was gather from what kaphotics posted. Since I only have 1 DS, I can not run tests to see if Pokemon ran through both the Pokeshifter and this program made 1:1 binary matches.

pokeshift.rar

pokeshift.rar

00- Poké Ball (Default)

01 - Master Ball

02 - Ultra Ball

03 - Great Ball

04 - Poké Ball

05 - Safari Ball

06 - Net Ball

07 - Dive Ball

08 - Nest Ball

09 - Repeat Ball

0A - Timer Ball

0B - Luxury Ball

0C - Premier Ball

0D - Dusk Ball

0E - Heal Ball

0F - Quick Ball

10 - Cherish Ball

11 - Fast Ball

12 - Level Ball

13 - Lure Ball

14 - Heavy Ball

15 - Love Ball

16 - Friend Ball

17 - Moon Ball

18 - Comp Ball

19 - Dream Ball

Edited by Riolu Aura Sphere Now

00- Poké Ball (Default)

01 - Master Ball

02 - Ultra Ball

03 - Great Ball

04 - Poké Ball

05 - Safari Ball

06 - Net Ball

07 - Dive Ball

08 - Nest Ball

09 - Repeat Ball

0A - Timer Ball

0B - Luxury Ball

0C - Premier Ball

0D - Dusk Ball

0E - Heal Ball

0F - Quick Ball

10 - Cherish Ball

11 - Fast Ball

12 - Level Ball

13 - Lure Ball

14 - Heavy Ball

15 - Love Ball

16 - Friend Ball

17 - Moon Ball

18 - Comp Ball

19 - Dream Ball

yay

Edited by Kaphotics
corrected

This program should simulate the effects of a 4th generation Pokemon being shifted with the Pokeshifter. All information was gather from what kaphotics posted. Since I only have 1 DS, I can not run tests to see if Pokemon ran through both the Pokeshifter and this program made 1:1 binary matches.

your program works wonderfully for the most part but I've noticed it seems to set the ball to a dream ball in some cases.

my macargo was caught in platinum with a quick ball, after being shifted it changed to dream ball.

my mesprit kept its ultra ball value.

my ninetails which was palparked from leaf green to platinum was caught with a pokeball and it changed to a dream ball.

my mudkip from emerald kept it's pokeball value.

My pachirisu was caught in a heal ball and after being shifted it switched to a dream ball.

Is this supposed to happen?

your program works wonderfully for the most part but I've noticed it seems to set the ball to a dream ball in some cases.

my macargo was caught in platinum with a quick ball, after being shifted it changed to dream ball.

my mesprit kept its ultra ball value.

my ninetails which was palparked from leaf green to platinum was caught with a pokeball and it changed to a dream ball.

my mudkip from emerald kept it's pokeball value.

My pachirisu was caught in a heal ball and after being shifted it switched to a dream ball.

Is this supposed to happen?

No it shouldn't.... if you don't mind, could you post those pkms so whatever was wrong can be figured out?

It's probably got to deal with the HGSS Pokeball hex, which wasn't documented well enough at the time.

It's just detecting an overflow on the 83h, going above 19 still registers it as a Dream Ball. If you change it in a hex editor you can fix em. HGSS balls I gather are not preserved and any value 20+ @ 0x83 -> 04 (Pokeball) (with no other hex change??? really have no pkms to look at)