• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't particularly like any particular genre, it's more about individual songs to me.

If I had to generalize my tastes, I'd have to say instrumentals, especially those of a full orchestral nature. Video game soundtracks seem to be progressing towards this style more and more in the past 7 or so years. I've played the Viola for over 10 years now, and I guess that's had an impact on what I like now that I can place myself in the instrumentalists' shoes.

Some sample OSTs that I like are:

• Soul Calibur V Limited Edition Soundtrack, particularly the tracks "Till Fate Write's My Epitaph" [siegfried's theme], "Faster Than A Howling Wind" [Natsu's theme] (for the exciting pace, the interesting use of European instruments along with traditional Japanese instruments), "Let My Soul Burn" [Maxi's theme] (for the powerful drum line and the sections where brass, flute, and some percussion instrument share the melody), "Blood Thirst Concerto" [Raphael's theme] (because it actually is a concerto, yet, unlike most of the concertos I've played, it uses a large amount of brass, and it portrays Raphael really well), "Samsara: The Wheel of Eternity" [Kilik's theme], and "Venice Rooftops" (SCV mix) [Ezio's theme] (for, compared to the original, a more lively drumline was added, the intro was shortened to quicken the pace, and the vocals still grab me, even after listening to it for hours on end in five separate games).
  • Katamari Fortissimo Damacy, because Katamari music is infectious
  • Katamari Damacy Tribute Original Soundtrack ~Katamari Takeshi~, one peep and it's stuck in your head all day...
  • Metal Gear Sold 3 Snake Eater Official Soundtrack, particularly ""METAL GEAR SOLID" Main Theme (METAL GEAR SOLID 3 Version)" (I absolutely love Harry Gregson-Williams' works, the way he masterfully blends natural and synthetic tones, it's drugs to my ears), "Clash with Evil Personified" (for the slight insanity that it makes apparent and the digeridoo-like pipe instrument or synth, I can't quite tell what it is), and the three Shagohod fight themes, "Sidecar - Escape from the Fortress -", "Sidecar - On the Rail Bridge", and "Takin' On The Shogohod" (the two sidecar themes for their flighty string instruments, and the Shagohod piece for its mix of different guitars the music just increases in intensity and pitch and then returns to the lower range it starts in).
  • Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare Official Soundtrack, overall for the interesting use of prominent electric bass for many of its melodies, the interesting idea of a horror western, and particularly "Get Back in That Hole, Partner" (for its excellent example of the prominent bass, and, nostalgically, the images of the first zombie fight I ever had in Undead Nightmare, which is my favorite expansion in any game, ever).
  • The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD, for the interesting rearrangements of classic Zelda tunes, finally giving them the full orchestral treatment they so richly deserved.

Interesting tidbit for anyone interested:

- My Orchestra teacher realized something along with us as a class the other day; classic rock / rock and roll / early metal sounds very similar in design to music from the 1500's to the 1700's, especially that of Madrigals. Maybe it's because a lot of the musicians who did classic rock / rock and roll / early metal were classically trained.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I wouldn't really say I enjoy artists or genres so much as I do specific songs...

That said, I'm a fan of quite a lot of Power Metal (primarily Symphonic)

So that'd be Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Alestorm, Gloryhammer, and a few others.

I also enjoy trailer music (the kinds of songs you hear in movies) e.g Two Steps From Hell, Audiomachine, Brunuhville

A few electronic things, such as Aviators, Machinimasound, Atpunk

And finally some 'classics' that've sprouted up over the years - most of which are in the 90's, but a few 80's and 2000's as well.

I'll listen to pretty much anything, even rap if it's done well (although it's usually only "done well" if it's part of a mashup, hehe).