Which Current Gen Console is the Best?

darklord

I, SCV, have edited this topic as an example of how debate topics should be started.

Topic: Currently there are three consoles competing for the gaming audience. These are PS3, XBox 360 and Wii. PS3 and XBox boast great graphics and large hard drives.

Stance: I think that the Wii will be more successful than the others.

Reasoning: For one, the Wii reaches out to make the gaming audience larger, by providing for making games that will attract groups that would not normally be included in the gaming audience. Here, gaming audience will be defined as those who use video game devices. Also, the Wii is much cheaper than the alternatives, meaning that more people can afford it.

Maybe I'll add more to the reasoning.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Original Topic: the wii is better because better graphics more action with the wii remote and the games are much better i would like a 360 top that :P:kikkoman:

and if this topic is not up to stander you can lock it scv

Edited by darklord

I think that only if and when Nintendo stops loading up its system with shovelware will it ever be a success in my eyes.

And then on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have the PS3 and 360:

"Hai guise were raetd "M" were hardcor!!!!!11!!!1"

Disgusting.

I, SCV, have edited this topic as an example of how debate topics should be started.

Topic: Currently there are three consoles competing for the gaming audience. These are PS3, XBox 360 and Wii. PS3 and XBox boast great graphics and large hard drives.

Stance: I think that the Wii will be more successful than the others.

Reasoning: For one, the Wii reaches out to make the gaming audience larger, by providing for making games that will attract groups that would not normally be included in the gaming audience. Here, gaming audience will be defined as those who use video game devices. Also, the Wii is much cheaper than the alternatives, meaning that more people can afford it.

Maybe I'll add more to the reasoning.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Original Topic: the wii is better because better graphics more action with the wii remote and the games are much better i would like a 360 top that :P:kikkoman:

and if this topic is not up to stander you can lock it scv

ok i gusses that saying what i want to say better is better then locking the topic all right my first point the wii remote provides the user full control you don't just press buttons you move with the game

Disgusting.

>:| Stop exaggerating things, and try to be more serious. It's no way to "debate."

I'm a Sony Whore though, but the 360/Wii/PS3 all seem like a total waste of upgrade from their predecessors as graphics were all that changed. The Wii has the novelty of stupid things like the wii mote or "interactive games" but I would much rather spend my time outside actually doing the things the game is simulating.

In terms of sheer functionalityh though, the PS3 wins in my opinion. Like the wii it can connect to each companies respective staple handheld system ( both of which can use homebrew stuff ) but the PS3 requires a lot less...add on stuff to be functional. You get a PS3, you get games. Done.

With the Wii you have to get new controllers/add on's every time you want to play a new "innovative" game. And the wii mote is just annoying to use really, you never get a full range of motion with most of what your doing and its literally you just sitting in front of your TV wiggling your arm like a starving baby. :/

The 360 is the worst out of the three in my opinion. You have to pay for Online play ( which adds up really fast ) , when it first came out it was the only system to ( like the x box ) crash and need to be remade/traded in. The games although got "better" ratings, it was only because most of them were caught on the coattails of their predecessors games. The better graphics apparently boosted the score enough to meet much better games with a similar score but I find that to be negligible beyond a certain point. Even more so as " better graphics" Nowadays are just making things more shiny, glossy and blurry.

Each is good in there own way, of course. But, I think the stand out is the Wii. People went Wii crazy when it hit the market. Not to mention the things that Nintendo has been able to do with it the Sony and Microsoft haven't, namely Wii fit and Sports.

The Wii is starting to disappoint me because Nintendo seems to have shifted its focus to the "mainstream" audience. They got finished with the first wave of awesome games (Twilight Princess being the first one, followed by Metroid and Mario in 2007). After Brawl and Mario Kart, they don't have all that much under the radar in terms of traditional Nintendo games. I don't really want them to focus on stuff like Wii Sports 2, Wii Fit, or Wii Music (really unheard of until Wii Play became such a breakthrough success) - just bring me a new Zelda, a new Mario, or actually make an actually decent console Pokemon game.

I barely touch my Wii (or my PS3, for which I only have two games) these days. When I do have time for gaming, which is almost never, I just fire up my gaming computer.:kikkoman:

• 1 month later...
The Wii is starting to disappoint me because Nintendo seems to have shifted its focus to the "mainstream" audience. They got finished with the first wave of awesome games (Twilight Princess being the first one, followed by Metroid and Mario in 2007). After Brawl and Mario Kart, they don't have all that much under the radar in terms of traditional Nintendo games. I don't really want them to focus on stuff like Wii Sports 2, Wii Fit, or Wii Music (really unheard of until Wii Play became such a breakthrough success) - just bring me a new Zelda, a new Mario, or actually make an actually decent console Pokemon game.

I barely touch my Wii (or my PS3, for which I only have two games) these days. When I do have time for gaming, which is almost never, I just fire up my gaming computer.:kikkoman:

They are going to release a new Zelda and Mario in the next year or so. CAN'T WAIT!!

I hardly know anything about the XBOX360 or the PS3, so I can't really vote on this, however I do know that unlike the XBOX360 and PS3, the Wii has great motion capabilities, and its games target everyone, not just experienced gamers.

So before I go quote crazy, I'm going to run down my thoughts on this topic:

PS3: Several different versions since release makes it very confusing to keep track of which has what features. The iffy question of backwards compatibility turned me off, because if I got a PS3, I didn't want to keep my PS2 plugged in for PS1 games, old Guitar Hero, and so on.

It's great that the online service is free, but it also seems like they put next to no effort in running it. Slow, lag, lag, lag, lag....even though Xbox Live has it's fair share of idiots, I like to think that needing a [parent] credit card is kind of like Darwinism.

Xbox 360: Now here's how to make a new system. Like, almost everything is backwards compatible, excellent online service (really worth the price, if I owned one), a good selection of games, gets most of the major releases that go out on all systems, usually gets some bonus exclusives. The price is pretty decent...

Oh wait, what's that? These things break? A lot? And the warranty sucks, and stores are trying to stop selling store warranties?

Fuck that. If I pay a few hundred bucks for something, I shouldn't have to send it back in and get it fixed. And if I do, it should be fixed for free instead of the ridiculous "1 year general, 3 years ring of death, after that get lost" warranty.

There's a thread in the Something Awful Forums for the 360 discussion. They had to make a seperate thread for Broke 360s because it just dominated the general thread. The thread starts with cautious speculation and optimism. Now everyone pretty much says "it's a question of when, not if, it's going to break."

Wii: Backwards compatibility, much more affordable on almost all fronts, a decent enough online store. Online play for games is pretty much crap, but I've always enjoyed playing video games with people in the same room, not elsewhere. Gets a majority of the big releases (though a lot of 3rd parties like Spider-Man 3 just give it a crap PS2 port). a good selection of games, and pretty much everyone can play Smash, Kart, and sports. And I won't have to send it in if it breaks, because it probably won't.

I'm going with the Wii. The PS3 has a bunch of crap that I don't need. The 360 does too, but less so. In a video game system, I want to play VIDEO GAMEs. Not watch movies and listen to music and surf Youtube and IM peeps and Blu ray this and whatever. Seriously, most people have a DVD player on their TV and in their computer. You don't need a video game system to play DVD movies also.

Think of how much cheaper PS3 and 360 would be if they didn't have all those extra features?

>.>

I agree that the wii is better but the graphics are not as good as a 360.The games,in my opinion,are better for the wii though.But some people may not agree with the action part.

At the same time, the popular Wii games don't need super next Gen graphics. Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Wii Sports, Fit, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and many others are all pretty basic games. You don't need excellent graphics to enjoy them.

There's no doubt that the graphics on the PS3 and 360 are better, but the people who play those systems are more likely to play games that require more graphics, more memory, online connectivity, etc... Not the case for the Wii.

I think that only if and when Nintendo stops loading up its system with shovelware will it ever be a success in my eyes.

Can you think of a single system that doesn't have a ton of shovelware? Yknow, crap 3rd party games that get made anyway because they sell big, usually to a little kid audience?

Seriously, look through any "List of [insert console here] games" on Wikipedia. There's tons of crap games on every system in history.

Until recently (with my DS and Wii), I never owned more than 4 games for any system, except my first, Sega Master. And I love Sega Master games. Just because Super Bible Fishing Expedition II was on there didn't subtract from the joy I got from Rampage, Paperboy, and Cloudmaster.

There's really quite a few games (like, really, a lot) that would do well for a general gaming audience. It's just, as you "kind of" note, the heavily marketed games are done for the gamer demo.

>:| Stop exaggerating things, and try to be more serious. It's no way to "debate."

I'm a Sony Whore though, but the 360/Wii/PS3 all seem like a total waste of upgrade from their predecessors as graphics were all that changed. The Wii has the novelty of stupid things like the wii mote or "interactive games" but I would much rather spend my time outside actually doing the things the game is simulating.

It's nothing new that video games simulate real life activities. Mario Kart, tons of sports titles, and so on. All the Wii really added was some type of motion, and if my memory isn't too foggy, even that isn't completely new.

With the Wii you have to get new controllers/add on's every time you want to play a new "innovative" game.

Like what?

Mario Kart? Regular Wii mote works fine, as well as Gamecube controllers. There might be some games out there that require new add ons, but those mostly apply to every other console as well (Rock Band)

And the wii mote is just annoying to use really, you never get a full range of motion with most of what your doing and its literally you just sitting in front of your TV wiggling your arm like a starving baby. :/

That's mostly due to the 3rd party games that were ported from PS2 versions with little/no though (I'm looking at you, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance). First party games are MUCH better at actually utilizing the Wii mote. I can only hope 3rd party games will eventually catch up.

Wii has been the most successful, better than 360 even thought they got a big head start.

The crazy thing is Nintendo had a press conference and the spokesperson was all worried that Wii sales started slowing down. And then every RUINED FOREVER idiot out there posted that press conference and saying "L00K!11!!! NINTENDO FAILED"...but it's still the biggest selling console. So what that sales slowed down. It can't stay on top of monthly charts forever.

I think the ps3 wins hands down due to graphics and games available.

There's only a handful of games that are exclusive to the PS3 (being compared to the 360 library).

So hooray, you based it on version exclusives? Not that that's bad, but it isn't exactly blowing my mind :eek:

I say the Wii wins because it has excellent gameplay (I'm talkin about you Mario Galaxy).

While I agree with your point, but again, another post that isn't blowing my mind.

The Wii is starting to disappoint me because Nintendo seems to have shifted its focus to the "mainstream" audience.

How's this bad? They took a gamble because they saw that Gamecube wasn't attracting the "hardcore" gamers, and the only popular titles were aimed at "casual" gamers (Kart and Smash). They took a gamble on it, it worked, seems good that they're shifting their focus.

They got finished with the first wave of awesome games (Twilight Princess being the first one, followed by Metroid and Mario in 2007). After Brawl and Mario Kart, they don't have all that much under the radar in terms of traditional Nintendo games. I don't really want them to focus on stuff like Wii Sports 2, Wii Fit, or Wii Music (really unheard of until Wii Play became such a breakthrough success) - just bring me a new Zelda, a new Mario, or actually make an actually decent console Pokemon game.

So..if they spread out these releases, you'd be okay?

As for Pokemon, unfortunately, it's not done by 1st party affiliates.

Pokemon's license is owned by Nintendo. They license someone to make games for the consoles (ala 2nd party). These people range from making decent games (Stadium 1+2) to crap games (Colo and xD, Ranch). And GameFreak, the only people who seem to know how to make a Pokemon game, refuse to work on consoles.

So yeah, we're probably never going to get a decent console game (though I think a Contest game, similar to how it's done in the anime, would be GREAT on the Wii).

Like what?

Mario Kart? Regular Wii mote works fine, as well as Gamecube controllers. There might be some games out there that require new add ons, but those mostly apply to every other console as well (Rock Band)

I'm guessing he is ranting about the Motion Plus, and other accessories, like those plastic imitations, where you fit your Wiimote in, like the gun, and cross bow?

I'm going with the Wii. The PS3 has a bunch of crap that I don't need. The 360 does too, but less so. In a video game system, I want to play VIDEO GAMEs. Not watch movies and listen to music and surf Youtube and IM peeps and Blu ray this and whatever. Seriously, most people have a DVD player on their TV and in their computer. You don't need a video game system to play DVD movies also.

LOL! well that's Sony for you, take the PSP for example, they focus way more in media and graphics, which in the end, led to the current state of the PSP.

I believe there really isn't a best system, because each console has it's own "better" feature, which splits it apart from the other console.

The Wii has motion sensing, when it was nearly released it sounded so awesome, and the ideas were endless, although the motion sensing isn't that great, it doesn't 100% motion sense, and sometimes it's just too difficult, but the gameplay is super fun, grab a handful of friends, play games like Super Smash Bros, then the hours start to pass, i have experienced giggles, tears, and screams.:biggrin:

With the Xbox 360, once we pop in Halo 3, or other games, it's all silence, all you hear is either ranting, or excuses,:tongue: but that's a different story with Left 4 Dead, all you hear is screams, and people shouting:

"Witch" Boomer" Tank" Hunter" Smoker" Run!" Follow Me" Horde is coming" HELP!" ahhhh adrenaline pumping fun, while the Xbox Live thing you HAVE to pay, it just has a better experience with online, like there is way more people then Nintendo or Sony's online, and there is defiantly more Co-op games to play, comparison to PS3.

PS3 is a great console, gorgeous graphics, and some... awesome games, but it didn't really do that well, the main problem with the PS3 is it's heavy price tag.

But soon i think Microsoft may conquer in the future, the Wii, unless it already has, because of Project Natal, the demo was amazing, and you don't even need a controller, it's the Wii but better, while Sony's answer to the Wii is..... strange, it doesn't even motion sense, it uses the camera to sense your movement, it's just like the Eye Toy, but on a more expensive machine.

I have only played Wii and Xbox360. The Wii is fun for party games with family and friends, while 360 is great for online play (No, I don't have Live, but I watch my stepdad on it all the time) As for the length of these consoles, it's been estimated that they will live for 10-15 years, if not more. (Read that in GameInformer a while back) As for PlayStation, the 2 is still living, and it's been about 9 years for it. If any of these consoles will be known beyond it's lifetime, It will be PS3, because not many people still talk about Xbox and GameCube anymore, but PS2 is still at it. So it gives me hope for PlayStation because of that :]

• 2 weeks later...

The Wii has better exclusives but I don't see Nintendo doing anything exciting with them right now. Super Mario Galaxy was meh, Pokemon Battle Revolution is nowhere near as great as it's Gamecube counterparts, only one Zelda game so far and it's a Gamecube port, the Metroid game was decent. Even if those games were fhadslfaAWESOMEOMG, that's only like three games. Animal Crossing is really the game I play most on it, and even then it's hard to get myself to do it sometimes. Online play is a drag, friend codes are annoying. What the hell, Nintendo?

I play my 360 the most. It consistently outperforms the supposedly "superior" PS3. Cross Platform games always look best on 360 when they are put next to eachother. The 360 has the best online experience and it's big sellers are a blast to play.

I am really hating my PS3 at the moment its downright annoying that we PS3 users dont get half the DLC the xbox360 gets..(more specifically for me the fallout 3 DLC) and one of the other MASSIVELY stupid things is the lack of in game music support EVERY game on the 360 has in game music playback whereas i have yet to see a PS3 game with the feature...It really annoys me..

Oh and Infamous is AwEsOmE!!!!

I honestly think that the Wii..is the biggest failure of all! Sure initially everything seemed great, the ideas were unbelievable...but even with that..where are the games? It could have had the best idea..but with a limited library of games it fails. Super Smash was amazing..so was Mario Kart, Galaxy was alright, Twilight Princess was good too...and now what's left? They have a BUNCH of lame party games and that is what's killing the Wii.

I think that the 360 is the best of all the new gen systems..because of it's huge game library, great graphics and amazing online experience. But my favorite system of all times is a tie between the Nintendo 64 and the PS2..both were the best system IMO..N64 brought something fresh and new, and the PS2 is very consistent (Which the Wii lacks >_>)!

Nice debate guys. Personally my favourite is the PS3. It has a huge variety of games and graphics like no other. The XBOX 360 is nearly as good as the PS3 but very unreliable and needs a lotta repair....cause it gets oh so many problems

The Wii is just like a Fad really, kinda like Beyblade was lol. It comes and gets old and boring. The PS2 was THE console to have before this generation and the PS3 though pricey is the one thats just ahead of the competition IMO.

BTW does the XBOX 360 have a Blue Ray disk player? cus the PS3 has it.....not to mention super stylish and slick looks.

Actually, if "ahead of the competition" refers to sales, it's the Wii that's in the lead.

If Sony would either lower their prices, put backwards compatibility on their system again, or have some good games that kids under 17 are allowed to play (not that the lack of such games is really Sony's fault), they could very well get back on top of the pile.

I believe that the Wii is in the lead in sales because they've made it to be...more cheap than the rest, faulty if you will, so people will have to continuously buy new ones. It's not just mere speculation here, my good friend Kiku has had her Wii for about a year now, and it got used a lot (Think up to 5-15 hours per day thanks to her brothers) and now it's dying on them, shutting itself off in about 5 hours of gameplay. I've known other people to have similar problems. And I also agree with the game lineup...there's next to nothing for good gameplay. That doesn't make for a very good, reliable game system.