Pokewalker Offsets

Poryhack

I know most of you can't mess with saves on your retail cards yet (and by extension can't do editing that requires a pokewalker), but it sounds like you may not be waiting much longer. I shelled out for a hardware dumper however and took a stab at finding the offsets relevant to the pokewalker.

Here's a dump of the notes I've taken, offsets in hex from beginning of the current block:

e5dc - 02 when a pokemon is on the walker, 01 when not?

e5e0-e667 - pokemon sent to pokewalker (136 byte encrypted as usual)

e6d4 - course selected

e704-e707 - steps taken to date

e708-e70b - watts

e70c-e70f - courses unlocked bitfield (27 courses total)

I've noticed the addresses e5de and e700 changing as well, but haven't figured out how they're relevant.

I can't promise that this list is every address related to the pokewalker, but I've covered the major stuff. One thing I'd like to know more about is if there's any kind of unique pokewalker-ID stored in the save to tie one game to one walker. (Seems the identification information is stored on the pokewalker side; my guess it it's just the ID, SID, or both of the current player.)

Enjoy.

Edited by Poryhack

One thing I'd like to know more about is if there's any kind of unique pokewalker-ID stored in the save to tie one game to one walker. (Seems the identification information is stored on the pokewalker side; my guess it it's just the ID, SID, or both of the current player.)

I had started on HG with an AR code to setup my trainer. I had then caught a pokemon and sent it to the pokewalker. Later on I had brought it back and then decided to reset my game (didn't want to use cheats). I used the same code though to establish my trainer after restarting the game (in case I change my mind later about the cheats) and when I tried to send a newly caught pokemon to the walker, it said it could not complete the connection. So there is something being stored besides the ID and SID since those were identical.

Well, I was poking around with the identification thing more and came up against a problem which I find rather odd. I cloned my brother's HG save file onto my SS card thinking that it would let me connect to his pokewalker. Turns out it didn't. I got the usual "This is not the registered Pokewalker." message.

What that means is that the pokewalker checks for more than just some kind of ID in the save. In this case it seems it's looking at the version (HG vs SS). Unfortunately I don't have access to more than one of either SS or HG so I can't see what the results would be had I done the same thing with two HeartGold cards. My guess is that it would work flawlessly though; I simply don't know what else, independent of the save file, they could be checking.

It might do something along the lines of the friend code. Such as the same game cart giving different results depending on the DS it's in. Suppose that's something to try. Ihave 2 of each game with my kids copies included, but I have no way to backup/clone anything since the ARDSi isn't working with the HGSS carts.

It might do something along the lines of the friend code. Such as the same game cart giving different results depending on the DS it's in. Suppose that's something to try. Ihave 2 of each game with my kids copies included, but I have no way to backup/clone anything since the ARDSi isn't working with the HGSS carts.

I actually tried that; it's not the case. Specifically, I put my brother's game into my DS (he plays on his own DSi) and was able to do a transfer with his pokewalker.

Hopefully an update for the DSi comes out but I'm skeptical. A flashcard app is more likely, do you have a flashcard?

Yes, I have an M3DS Real. It's a slot 1 card, so I'm not sure how well it would work for backing up/restoring saves. But I'll try anything you want me to, within my capabilities. (I'm a long time IT person, so the capabilities are not insignificant) I've been hanging out in the irc a lot lately too....