PKHeX - Gen 1-6 SAV/PKM Editor For Mac

ChokingVictim87

I have been experimenting today trying to get the latest version of PKHeX to work nicely on Mac OS 10.12. I achieved relative success early on by using Winebottler as described here:

The above method seems to be what somebody on this forum did to make ports of previous versions of PKHeX from what I can tell. However, I was not able to get it to use winetricks to install the dotnet40 package to the app's prefix. It always gave me an error, and not having the .NET Framework 4.0 package installed seemed to lead to lots of weird bugs in the UI, like the original trainer field not rendering text properly and the icon on the dock staying when you quit the app, necessitating a force quit.

In the end I managed to get PKHeX to work on Mac OS by installing the wine and winetricks packages through the homebrew package manager which can be found here:

You'd have to enter something like the following into a terminal and you'd probably have to have xQuartz installed on your system:

brew update && brew doctor && brew upgrade && brew install wine winetricks

Then I simply installed dotnet40 globally in 32bit mode using this shell command:

WINEARCH='win32' winetricks dotnet40

At this point I can launch the latest version of PKHeX, fully functioning, by navigating to the exe's folder in the terminal and typing:

wine PKHeX.exe#(assuming PKHex.exe is the name of the PKHeX binary)

I wonder if anyone knows how to package it up nicely as an app file. I'm starting to think that the failure to install dotnet40 into the winebottle is a bug attributable to Winebottler. I don't know much about this stuff, but the command line invocation is very workable for me. I hope this helps.

UPDATE:

I made a .app file similar to the Winebottler one with Wineskin Winery, and studied up on Wine enough to do a command line install of dotnet40 targetting the Wineskined app's Wine files. There was a lot of trial and error and I'm not sure I could document it properly at this point, but the following link works as well as the old port did for me, (including being massive because of all the wine files included):

It'd be greatly appreciated if some people could test it works properly on their Mac and post back here!

Edited by Lessthan_tom
New findings, appel to test, formatting

• 4 weeks later...
I couldn't get that thing to work:/

Is anyone working on a Mac version of this? Really wanna test the new build out and its getting annoying now!haha

We've had previous versions ported,slightly worried about being left out:(

What happens when you try to open the .app file? Have you tried installing XQuartz? It might be necessary to make it run.

To clarify, PKHeX was never really ported (by most people's interpretation of the term) to Mac OS as far as I can determine. I've seen what've been called ports on this forum before that used similar techniques to what I've used to make what I posted here. (Basically packaging wine and scripts to run the PKHeX.exe file together as an app file, not actually re-compiling the source code to run in a Mac OS environment or in Mono without specific Windows dependencies.)

What happens when you try to open the .app file? Have you tried installing XQuartz? It might be necessary to make it run.

To clarify, PKHeX was never really ported (by most people's interpretation of the term) to Mac OS as far as I can determine. I've seen what've been called ports on this forum before that used similar techniques to what I've used to make what I posted here. (Basically packaging wine and scripts to run the PKHeX.exe file together as an app file, not actually re-compiling the source code to run in a Mac OS environment or in Mono without specific Windows dependencies.)

The PKHEX file? Wont open.

Theres gotta be a way to get the new version up and running (packaged like you said)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bakiman
I have been experimenting today trying to get the latest version of PKHeX to work nicely on Mac OS 10.12. I achieved relative success early on by using Winebottler as described here:

The above method seems to be what somebody on this forum did to make ports of previous versions of PKHeX from what I can tell. However, I was not able to get it to use winetricks to install the dotnet40 package to the app's prefix. It always gave me an error, and not having the .NET Framework 4.0 package installed seemed to lead to lots of weird bugs in the UI, like the original trainer field not rendering text properly and the icon on the dock staying when you quit the app, necessitating a force quit.

In the end I managed to get PKHeX to work on Mac OS by installing the wine and winetricks packages through the homebrew package manager which can be found here:

You'd have to enter something like the following into a terminal and you'd probably have to have xQuartz installed on your system:

brew update && brew doctor && brew upgrade && brew install wine winetricks

Then I simply installed dotnet40 globally in 32bit mode using this shell command:

WINEARCH='win32' winetricks dotnet40

At this point I can launch the latest version of PKHeX, fully functioning, by navigating to the exe's folder in the terminal and typing:

wine PKHeX.exe#(assuming PKHex.exe is the name of the PKHeX binary)

I wonder if anyone knows how to package it up nicely as an app file. I'm starting to think that the failure to install dotnet40 into the winebottle is a bug attributable to Winebottler. I don't know much about this stuff, but the command line invocation is very workable for me. I hope this helps.

UPDATE:

I made a .app file similar to the Winebottler one with Wineskin Winery, and studied up on Wine enough to do a command line install of dotnet40 targetting the Wineskined app's Wine files. There was a lot of trial and error and I'm not sure I could document it properly at this point, but the following link works as well as the old port did for me, (including being massive because of all the wine files included):

It'd be greatly appreciated if some people could test it works properly on their Mac and post back here!

THANKS!! I tried it and worked for OSX The captain !! thanks so much broh =D you are the best:grog:[ATTACH=CONFIG]13857[/ATTACH]