Invalid trashbytes

abszs123

Hi so I'm new here, I was wondering why my voltorb and drowzee have invalid trashbytes. They were pal parked from fire red. I used desmume to do so, however they're legit but the legality checker shows it as invalid. Also the game they were transferred to was Platinum if it matters.

Edited: Attached the files [ATTACH]13192[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13193[/ATTACH]

Edited by abszs123

If you're extracting the .pkm files via PokéGen, it has trouble reading OT trashbytes properly in some cases and will render them invalid.

The trash bytes will still be invalid if transferred to Gen. V, but I believe that trash bytes are gone if you then transfer to Gen. VI

iirc the OT name gets messed up with PokéGen, so it has to be manually fixed before you right-click save the Pokémon to a box slot. I wouldn't be able to say under which circumstances does it happen, all I know is that MYSTRY Mew gets its OT destroyed by PokéGen in Gen. V unless you manually fix it before saving.

Actually I'm really not sure about transferring to Gen. V, let me make some tests.

I took your .pkm file of Voltorb included in your first post, and after confirming that the trash bytes were invalid, I ran it through the PokéTransfer app, then opened it in PokéGen. The OT was not messed up anymore.

PokéGen reads your Gen. 4 Voltorb with RECCA\FFFFB as the OT + trashbytes, and it saves it as such, but that's invalid.

I transferred that to Gen. 5 with the PokéTransfer app, and as a Gen. 5 .pkm, opening it in PokéGen, it properly shows OT as RECCA\FFFF\012C\FFFF

In fact, PokéGen reads the 012C trash byte as an actual B character, and then ignores the last trash byte which is set to 0000 when it should be FFFF (this is what makes your trash bytes invalid)

So I went back to the Gen. 4 file, and replaced the OT (including trashbytes) with the one from the transferred Gen. 5 one, then saved it to a .pkm file, and it shows up properly as having Valid trash bytes.

I would assume that legitimately transferring to Gen. 5 would fix the trash bytes.

If you just transferred from FireRed to Gen. 4 and then transfer to Gen. 5, you don't have to worry about broken trash bytes; you know they are fine. But if you had the .pkm file with the Invalid trash bytes, and added it to your save with PokéGen, it would have Invalid trash bytes in your Gen. 4 save, but transferring that over to Gen. 5 seems like it would fix them.

That being said, trash bytes don't really matter unless you're a perfectionist and want every single aspect of your Pokémon to be perfect (which I understand, because I am the same way); having invalid trash bytes will not cause any problems, and Nintendo WFC isn't even available anymore for Gen. 4 and 5 anyway. Pretty sure the Nintendo WFC legality checkers didn't care at all about trashbytes anyway.

Once they are transferred to Gen. 6, it stops mattering because the trash bytes are gone anyway. But PokéGen's trashbytes problems can screw up the OT to the point where it is completely incorrect, so you have to watch that.

As one of the more glaring examples, MYSTRY Mew:

Gen. 4:

Gen. 5:

PokéGen reads it properly on Gen. 4, and saves it properly. No problem there.

Transfer it to Gen. 5, and now it reads the OT as MYSt\8F52\0259\FFFF\FFFF (this will incorrectly show up as MYSt?? in-game if you save it to one of your box slots.)

You can manually fix it to MYSTRY\FFFF\FFFF before right-click save to box, and it will properly show up as MYSTRY in-game, but you can do that, save it to box, and then right-click View right away on PokéGen and it will be broken again.

Basically, what I'm saying is, PokéGen doesn't handle OT trashbytes properly, so you should be careful when handling Pokémon with it.

Thanks for that and yeah I kind of like everything to be perfect haha. Just one more thing to clear, from what you're saying I'd just have to transfer them with the poketrasnfer app or through the actual game itself and then that would fix it. So does that mean it's not enough to correct the trashbytes by dropping the pokemon file on the trashbyte programme thing that comes with the legality checker itself? For example I evolved the voltorb and ran it through the trashbyte app and now its trashbytes don't show up as invalid when I run it through the legality checker but I don't think its name changes. I'll attach the file if you want to see for yourself. One final question, when I open the pokemon file in pokegen do I just change it manually to what it would be in gen5?

Edit: I attached it in the OP since I didn't know how to attach it in this post.

Even if you fix the trash bytes, I'm pretty sure that opening it in PokéGen to save it to your box will break them again. If you want trash bytes to be fixed in your save file, you would have to load the .pkm in PokéGen and manually edit the trash bytes to the correct ones before saving it to your boxes.

I wouldn't be able to tell you how to know what would be valid trash bytes for fixing them manually in PokéGen, sorry. Someone else might be able to tell you how to figure that out.

I appreciate your help and yeah when I dragged and dropped the electrode file it showed up as invalid until I saved it on pokegen again and then opened up the game file again. The second time the trash bytes showed up as valid. You know the electrode file I attached does that show up as valid for you? Because I dropped it on the trash byte app and seems to show up as valid now