PKMDS Pokémon Generator!

codemonkey85

EDIT: I think this is the most popular hit when people Google me and / or PKMDS. Just as an FYI to all those out there, this project is long dead. You can see my new stuff here: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?20984-PKMDS-Code-Library-Gen-V

Hello all.

Using my awesome PKMDS code library, I have created a little wizard for generating Pokémon. Right now it is somewhat incomplete, as there are some other features I'd like to get in there as well.

THE GOAL:

Upon finishing this program, the idea is to quickly and easily generate a 100% legal Pokémon, as if it were encountered in the game, which can be dumped directly into a save file, saved as a PKM file, or exported as an ARDS code file.

Please try it out and let me know what you guys think!

EDIT:

You need the latest .Net framework for this program to work.

PKMDS_Pokemon_Generator_by_Codemonkey85.zip

PKMDS_Pokemon_Generator_by_Codemonkey85.zip

Edited by codemonkey85

Guested: that is a problem with the viewer, not with the generator. There will be updates to that as well (already have been actually, the viewer is now a part of the code library).

HalfBlood: you must be referring to "rolling" a Pokémon as a random encounter, as if it were in-game. That is very possible and actually a goal of mine... once I add the encounter data, level-up move data, and some other things I need (like which areas are east or west of Mt. Coronet so I can generate a legal Shellos / Gastrodon).

Guested: that is a problem with the viewer, not with the generator. There will be updates to that as well (already have been actually, the viewer is now a part of the code library).

HalfBlood: you must be referring to "rolling" a Pokémon as a random encounter, as if it were in-game. That is very possible and actually a goal of mine... once I add the encounter data, level-up move data, and some other things I need (like which areas are east or west of Mt. Coronet so I can generate a legal Shellos / Gastrodon).

Great! I can't wait.

Great news, guys: I have just updated the program to allow moveset editing as well. Now get out there and spread the word! Make some legal Pokémon!

Does it only allow you to add legitimate moves for the Pokemon? And based off the level too? Like since Hitmonchan cannot learn Close Combat until lv. 56, the only way you could give it that move is if you set it at lv 56?

Nice work Codemonkey. Only thing about it is when you generate a Pokemon, It has no moveset, Other than that it shows up as Normal GBA Or NDS in Legal.exe.
Great news, guys: I have just updated the program to allow moveset editing as well. Now get out there and spread the word! Make some legal Pokémon!

??????

Awesome, I'll get some testing on this done asap. ;)

Illithian... it's a random generator ;)

Quick response to this:

Yes, it is a random generator. But there will be comprehensive editing options after the fact as well, when I finish up my PKM editor. So you will be able to go back and change stuff with that.

Eventually I will combine those things into one bigger program. But one step at a time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, troubleshooting here. I get an error from Microsoft .NET Framework everytime I try to use this. You know, the

"Unhandled exception has occurred..."

...well I'll be straightforward and post the details of the error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details.  The error is: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
  at PKMDS_Pokémon_Generator_by_Codemonkey85.dlgOrigins.rdDP_CheckedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnCheckedChanged(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.set_Checked(Boolean value)
  at PKMDS_Pokémon_Generator_by_Codemonkey85.dlgOrigins.InitializeComponent()
  at PKMDS_Pokémon_Generator_by_Codemonkey85.dlgOrigins..ctor()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at PKMDS_Pokémon_Generator_by_Codemonkey85.My.MyProject.MyForms.Create__Instance__[T](T Instance)
  at PKMDS_Pokémon_Generator_by_Codemonkey85.frmMain.btnNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
   Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PKMDS Pokémon Generator by Codemonkey85
   Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
   CodeBase: file:///G:/Pokesav/PKMDS%20Pok%E9mon%20Generator%20by%20Codemonkey85.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
   Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
PokemonDSLib_2009
   Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
   CodeBase: file:///G:/Pokesav/PokemonDSLib_2009.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
   <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I can actually understand some of that but obviously I won't bother to gather everything to fix it myself. Any ideas?

EDIT: It also looks like it's an error on .NET framework side. Any leads on this? I mean, there wasn't anything specified on the main post about the details for the minimum .NET Framework use...

It also looks like it's an error on .NET framework side. Any leads on this? I mean, there wasn't anything specified on the main post about the details for the minimum .NET Framework use...

There is now. :P

Try downloading the latest .Net Framework (3.5 SP 2 I believe) and see if that fixes the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...