[Suggestion] Pokémon of the Week

Tbird

Hello... Whoever's reading,

I was thinking, many sites have a Pokémon of the week feature, wherein once a week a pokemon is picked at random / via community poll and is then "reviewed" for everyone to see. I was thinking that it'd be a good idea for the PP community to try this out too, as at the moment it's pretty much all research and the occasional out of research debate... which is cool, but what about the rest of us? All work and no play makes jack a dull boy :P

I would be prepared to do this myself with the help of whoever is willing to give it and as it's once a week it wouldn't be too taxing, anyway. I'd try to cover everything about the pokemon that I can, sans maybe Manga and Anime references as I don't really keep up to date with those. Though if someone is good with all that, then I'd happily use their input.

I think this will be good for keeping traffic that isn't just research based, whilst allowing the community to have a light hearted discussion about things that require little thought... Might bring us together a bit :P Possibly wishful thinking but it certainly wouldn't harm.

Thank you for you for reading and hopefully considering :)

I'd totally sanction this idea, as it would certainly appeal to people. I know it sounds irrelevant, but from what I've been at, people who play competitively just don't really know what they like or are somehow convinced all they like are Pokemon that's "strong" or competitively viable, to put it more aptly. It sounds cool if we have a random number generator and you can start putting up Pokemon that are selected based off the RNG. Getting people to know more about their favourites or Pokemon that don't see much light sounds swell. I don't object to this, though I may want to proofread your... thing before you post it up or whatnot.

Though I am definitely not known in this community, i'd still like to make SOME kind of contribution, and what better way than this? I am a great battler, and I bet it would be fun to try to think up creative movesets, especially now, when we have auto weather in OU and the pokemon to abuse it.

The thing is, it's not all about competitive sets and whatnot, but about the Pokemon overall, so that people can get to know them. Some Pokemon aren't given the justice or even a second look just because of the whole competitive emphasis. Well, yeah, there is also the competitive part, but that's not the main goal here. Otherwise there's Smogon for people to look at that.

Zwei, we'll cover like, 2 or 3 popular Pokemon, then afterwards, it's all fair game. Who knows, you might find a new favourite!

Gin, you'd be the perfect man for the job for adding competitive battling sets in each analysis. Randomspot can do the anime references, I can do er... I guess in-game sets, and Tbird can cover the essential data and basically do the write-up. Might work, won't it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hmm, that Pikachu preview looked pretty impressive! But I think you will have a hard time to put up something like that every week... There have to be a lot of people able to work at it (or you must have someone with a constant amount of spare time). If you only have a select group of people working at it, you will probably have trouble after some weeks. Especially when you want to give another touch to such project (like the dialogue between Lt. Surge and Ash, for example). It is really worth it, but more time-consuming. :\ And it already is a sort of bad omen that the project is inactive when the initiator is inactive. But there always is another side of the coin, a project like this has its positive results as well, as some people make clear in the earlier posts in this thread! I was wondering, how many people do you think you will need for this?

Sadly enough I do not think I am able to contribute in a(ny) way with this project, because I am not knowledgeable in relevant subjects you need to cover here. In normal situations I always could check spelling, but in English that won't be an option, too. :(

Anyone who wants to help can, I don't care what amount. Since Tbird's out at the moment, I'll be the de facto head of this project until he returns, if we can get enough interest that is. We already have Gin who is knowledgeable in the competitive battling section, but we need more than just that. Any further discussion should be taken in the group.