Where to start? Newbie Guide 101

Im new to PkHex but I want to learn how to use PkHex with my Pokemon games. Such as for LeafGreen, Emerald, SoulSilver and so on. I heard PkHex is compatible with all generations. I also own a flashcard also. Is PkHex difficult to use? I would be using it on OS X. 

Also, what is a good emulator to use at the moment that works well with PkHex and local trading as well. I was told there are a few Homebrew applications I can use on my flashcard that let me extract my saves from my cartridges or roms and move them to my computer to edit and transfer back. Where can I find more info on how to do this and what are my current best options?

@jasenyoface are you able to help assist this member with OS X instructions and emulator questions?

I'm not too sure which emulator works for it.

If you were using Windows, I'll say VBA M (or no$gba), as it has trading functions.
If playing Gen I & II games, I would have also recommended bgb (also for trading functions, and the turbo isn't as fast as VBA when playing gb/gbc games, so easier to track what you're doing)

If you have a NDS (not 3DS, NDS), there are homebrew for your cart, that can extract GBA and NDS games.
For NDS games:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cloud9Skywalker said:

Im new to PkHex but I want to learn how to use PkHex with my Pokemon games. Such as for LeafGreen, Emerald, SoulSilver and so on. I heard PkHex is compatible with all generations. I also own a flashcard also. Is PkHex difficult to use? I would be using it on OS X. 

Visit this thread to conveniently get a copy of PKHeX that will work on OS X and macOS:

Be advised that PKHeX Is a Windows application and any version of PKHeX that is available for OS X and macOS may not function as intended

What's next?  Open PKHeX and explore the program; familiarize yourself with its UI, features and settings.  It is a very straight forward and an easy-to-use save editor.  If needed, there are a ton of tutorials about using PKHeX on Youtube.  I would suggest watching a few of those.  However there are times when we get stumped and can't quite figure out how to tweak that certain something or perhaps you discovered a bug.  Thankfully, there are help forums and FAQs to refer to.  (As always, Please search the forums before posting about any obstacles you may encounter.  It's likely that others may have already posted about <insert question/issue> and said question/issue has already been addressed.)  

PKHeX Support Forum is located here: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/forums/forum/83-pkhex/ 

PKHeX FAQ is located here: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/forums/topic/38168-frequently-asked-questions/ 

Emulators and Save files:

Generations 7, 6

Is PKHeX compatible with Powersaves or Sky3DS?

No. It never will be. Save files must be decrypted in order to load & save, and must be resigned before put back into your cart data.

Generations 5, 4, 3

I'm using a flash card (R4, Acekard, etc) or emulator and my save file isn't able to be loaded. What's going wrong?

Make sure the save data is in 4 megabit format (512KB) for Gen4/5 games, and 128KB flash for Gen3 games.

Generations 2, 1

Does PKHeX support these games?

Yes! Be sure you are exporting your save file in the "Battery" format (raw save file, not emulator specific).

EDIT:

I agree with theSLAYER about using no$gba emulator because of the trading feature. It a upports GBA and NDS ROMS. It is a Windows program, however, one can use a Mac program called Winebottler to “force” no$gba to run on OS X and macOS. (I have tested the stability of this method and can say with confidence that it functions well when using no$gba 2.8e)

Alternatively, there are a handful of decent emulators that are compatible with Mac. I am not certain if any of them support local trading.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jasenyoface said:

Visit this thread to conveniently get a copy of PKHeX that will work on OS X and macOS:

Be advised that PKHeX Is a Windows application and any version of PKHeX that is available for OS X and macOS may not function as intended

What's next?  Open PKHeX and explore the program; familiarize yourself with its UI, features and settings.  It is a very straight forward and an easy-to-use save editor.  If needed, there are a ton of tutorials about using PKHeX on Youtube.  I would suggest watching a few of those.  However there are times when we get stumped and can't quite figure out how to tweak that certain something or perhaps you discovered a bug.  Thankfully, there are help forums and FAQs to refer to.  (As always, Please search the forums before posting about any obstacles you may encounter.  It's likely that others may have already posted about <insert question/issue> and said question/issue has already been addressed.)  

PKHeX Support Forum is located here: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/forums/forum/83-pkhex/ 

PKHeX FAQ is located here: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/forums/topic/38168-frequently-asked-questions/ 

EDIT:

I agree with theSLAYER about using no$gba emulator because of the trading feature. It a upports GBA and NDS ROMS. It is a Windows program, however, one can use a Mac program called Winebottler to “force” no$gba to run on OS X and macOS. (I have tested the stability of this method and can say with confidence that it functions well when using no$gba 2.8e)

Alternatively, there are a handful of decent emulators that are compatible with Mac. I am not certain if any of them support local trading.  

Thank-you very much for your elaborate response! It is very much appreciated and will definitely help me get the ball rolling with becoming more familiar and using PKHex and Emulators. Not to mention enjoying the Pokemon series even more!

I just have a few more questions which I can start directing to the PKHex Support Forum as well.
Is PKHex the best choice currently for Pokemon game editing? I am trying to accomplish to just have the ability to easily capture, train and use any Pokemon I want, legitimately and authentically. PKHex doesn't remove the authenticity from the actual Pokemon right, I can trade them and battle them respectively?

If I have PKHex it basically rules out any reason to use Gameshark or Action Replay codes, right? 

4 hours ago, Cloud9Skywalker said:

legitimately and authentically

At a technical level, playing on emulators, and using external modification devices and software, regardless if it is PKHeX or GameShark/Action Replay,
removes legitimacy and authenticity of the game save and data within it.
(Which is one reason why many people rather use glitches as opposed to save editing)

You Pokemon will be at best legal. (not legitimate. though people like Verlis will out right say you're hacking, which he isn't wrong)

Anyhow,
for Gen III and Gen IV Pokemon, it's no biggie, if you're using PKHeX to give items, increase EVs, change moves, (not touch stats basically)
however the big problem arises, if you want to meddle with anything PID related, such as, and not limited to:

1. PID
  2. Shininess
  3. Gender
  4. IVs
  5. Ability
  6. Nature

That's right, in Gen III and IV, Pokemon have "PID-IV" correlation,
and anything above can be traced to PID and RNG calls.

While PKHeX doesn't check PID-IV correlation,
there are other tools out there that can, such as Pokegen and RNG Reporter.

I think Gen V doesn't have PID correlation (?), and I stand to be corrected.

EVEN WITH ALL ABOVE SAID,
PKHeX is still the preferred method of editing, since everything else is simplified,
and has built in hack checker, for other things such as locations, moves, etc.

I'll rather you catch a Pokemon and do minor edits, rather than make one from scratch.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2017 at 3:59 AM, jasenyoface said:

EDIT:

Yeah, everything worked great just like you mentioned. How did you choose to install no$gba 2.8e through the wine set? I just ran it directly but after playing briefly HeartGold I tried to save in game without any success, it isn't creating save files from in-game. Is it because I chose to run no$gba directly and not install it. I really couldnt understand the installation procedure.. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Cloud9Skywalker said:

Yeah, everything worked great just like you mentioned. How did you choose to install no$gba 2.8e through the wine set? 

I just ran it directly...

I use Wine three different ways:

1. Wine and Winetricks are installed directly onto my OS. Basically, a Windows environment is created within a hidden ".wine" folder in my ~home folder.  (This allows me to: easily run .EXE programs directly without making a "Mac.app") - This method is how I personally run .EXE programs, as it is the most effective, simplest and there is a community, WINEHQ, which is actively developing the core of Wine.
  2. WineSkin Winery - Allows a more in-depth process to create "Mac apps" from .EXE programs. (I use this method to make a Mac.app to distribute to people.)
  3. Winebottler - Similar to WineSkin Winery; but doesn't give users the intrusive tools to fine-tune their Mac apps.  Sometimes this method works great and is the fastest method to make an app.  (I use this method to make a Mac.app to distribute to people.)

When you say that you "just ran it directly", do you mean that you use "method 1" that I outlined above?^

13 hours ago, Cloud9Skywalker said:

...but after playing briefly HeartGold I tried to save in game without any success, it isn't creating save files from in-game. 

If you run the "no$gba.exe" directly using wine, see my screenshots below to find your save:

Spoiler

UPONLAUNCH.png

SAVING.png

AFTERSAVING.png

SAVEREVEALED.png

If you are using a Mac.app version of no$gba, see my screenshots below to find your save:

Spoiler

NOGBAAPPSAVE.png

8 hours ago, jasenyoface said:

I use Wine three different ways:

1. Wine and Winetricks are installed directly onto my OS. Basically, a Windows environment is created within a hidden ".wine" folder in my ~home folder.  (This allows me to: easily run .EXE programs directly without making a "Mac.app") - This method is how I personally run .EXE programs, as it is the most effective, simplest and there is a community, WINEHQ, which is actively developing the core of Wine.
  2. WineSkin Winery - Allows a more in-depth process to create "Mac apps" from .EXE programs. (I use this method to make a Mac.app to distribute to people.)
  3. Winebottler - Similar to WineSkin Winery; but doesn't give users the intrusive tools to fine-tune their Mac apps.  Sometimes this method works great and is the fastest method to make an app.  (I use this method to make a Mac.app to distribute to people.)

When you say that you "just ran it directly", do you mean that you use "method 1" that I outlined above?^

Well, when I installed Wine for the first time on my MacBook it installed Wine and up until now that you mentioned it, I pulled down the tab at the task bar above and had wine tricks installed as well. Yeah meant that I used "method 1", check out my screenshot for reference. So here are two odd issues..

The emulator and rom both boot without issues. (although with no$gba and wine I believe it's a hit or miss. 1. Sometimes the emulator force closes suddenly when I choose an option or when I try to close or exit the emulator I receive an error "Memory messed up".) 2. The game plays it just doesn't save in-game. Some of the frames are black for characters as well.

Spoiler

595465631a43e_ScreenShot2017-06-28at10_26_11PM.png.280feca493970b2391426c14ee5d25d7.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 1.51.02 PM.png

Spoiler

5953f567af5c3_ScreenShot2017-06-28at2_28_34PM.thumb.png.14bf019ff9d941ffc04528bae49e7c46.png

Edited by Cloud9Skywalker
Content review

4 minutes ago, Cloud9Skywalker said:

Well, when I installed Wine for the first time on my MacBook it installed Wine and up until now that you mentioned it, I pulled down the tab at the task bar above and had wine tricks installed as well. Yeah meant that I used "method 1", check out my screenshot for reference. So here are two odd issues..

The emulator and rom both boot without issues. (although with no$gba and wine I believe it's a hit or miss. 1. Sometimes the emulator force closes suddenly when I choose an option or when I try to close or exit the emulator I receive an error "Memory messed up".) 2. The game plays it just doesn't save in-game. Some of the frames are black for characters as well.

While the Winetricks menu is listed, (lf you haven't yet, you must click it and install essential components. See screenshot of Winetricks menu).  I believe no$gba requires at least .NET 3.5 Framework.  Personally I have .NET 4.6 installed.  If you can do "brew" commands in terminal, you could alternatively download Winetricks in Terminal using command: "brew install Winetricks" I believe that command will place (not install) all available Winetricks on your system, then it is up to you to install any that you need for programs.  

According to the terms of the emulator, I can redistribute it. So I could make a no$gba.app for you.  The app will not require Wine to run in the background of your system, it will be bundled into the app.  I am suggesting this option because I am not experiencing any of the issues you listed.  Wine in general is hit or miss, and is never a guarantee.  Though, the odds are in your favor the more you experiment with it.  

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 2.13.34 PM.png

6 hours ago, jasenyoface said:

I believe no$gba requires at least .NET 3.5 Framework.  Personally I have .NET 4.6 installed.  If you can do "brew" commands in terminal, you could alternatively download Winetricks in Terminal using command: "brew install Winetricks" I believe that command will place (not install) all available Winetricks on your system, then it is up to you to install any that you need for programs.  

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do "brew" commands.. I don't have experience using terminal. My Winetricks window is blank as you can see below, so I do not even have the option to install Winetricks.

Spoiler

5954532d1d496_ScreenShot2017-06-28at9_08_29PM.thumb.png.b69a92ddfbaf2c44528569cff061fd4f.png

I tried running Terminal and typing "brew install Winetricks" right after it opens up but I received this message "-bash: brew: command not found"
I would definitely like to try and install 
.NET 4.6 Framework like you mentioned and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for your help thus far I appreciate you looking out!

1 hour ago, Cloud9Skywalker said:

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do "brew" commands.. I don't have experience using terminal. My Winetricks window is blank as you can see below, so I do not even have the option to install Winetricks.

Reveal hidden contents

I tried running Terminal and typing "brew install Winetricks" right after it opens up but I received this message "-bash: brew: command not found"
I would definitely like to try and install 
.NET 4.6 Framework like you mentioned and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for your help thus far I appreciate you looking out!

If you download Xcode from the Mac Appstore, you will be given the option to install Command Line Tools for Xcode. You need those to do  some things in Terminal.  After that, you can follow the instructions from https://brew.sh (Homebrew). Which will then allow you to run "brew" commands in Terminal.