Looking for a non-shiny Event Jirachi (Now we're all looking for shiny Channel Jirachis >_<)

coltonsmogon

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sabresite said:

@BlackShark, It's a funny story actually. Everyone thought @Slashmolder made a typo when doing the research. It turns out to be exactly right. The check was broken. It was confirmed by @Amab yesterday or the day before.

Well that's interesting! Do we know how many shiny Channel Jirachis are possible?

• Like 1

• coltonsmogon changed the title to Looking for a non-shiny Event Jirachi (Now we're all looking for shiny Channel Jirachis >_<)
3 hours ago, BlackShark said:

Well that's interesting! Do we know how many shiny Channel Jirachis are possible?

It is hard to say because there is some stuff happening after you press the button to give you the Jirachi.  Whether or not that contrives the PIDs/IVs that are possible is debated, mainly because the PPC is still being interpreted.  I personally believe that it probably doesn't and there are 528k possibilities (roughly?).

Meaning the odds of obtaining one of these shinies are unknown for the moment... Time to crack into the generation algorithm for the Channel Jirachi to prove that shinies are possible, & discuss the broken shiny check code that "accidentally" allows shinies for some reason...

Edited by coltonsmogon

16 minutes ago, coltonsmogon said:

Is it the 1/~7282 I reported for the WISHMKR Jirachi?

That is because the true percentage is 65535^2/2^19 or ~8191.75.  Since there is an extra spread within the 65535 seed range due to the TID/SID combination, the chance goes up considerably.

The PRNG for pokemon channel is seeded down to the nanosecond so every number in the 32bit range can be hit within a relatively short period.  And until the menu button is mapped and applied, it is assumed that it is the same chances as the normal game.  Even flipping the bits (or not) via the broken check may not affect the right PIDs to lower/raise the chance.

• Like 1

Is there not a way to check the data on the Channel disk itself? Not that it would probably help much but I have a few EU gen 3 Pokemon carts and a PAL Channel copy. (NA and JP as well). If there's anything I can do to contribute, let me know. 

I remember a few years ago a friend of mine downloaded the save from this site, wrote it to a cart and got us both the shiny Wishmaker Jirachi. If something similar could be created, I could test it with official hardware.