A Collector's Guide to WC6 & WC7 Language and Region Mayhem

theSLAYER

Introduction

Howdy all.
After the nightmare that is the question-fest in the comment section of the Japanese Shiny Tapu Koko,
I decided to take my time to write this, in hopes that it will shed light on some questions surrounding this, and also future events.

Groundwork in terminology

To ensure we are all on the same page, some refresher on the terms that will be used.

3DS region refers to the region that your 3DS belongs to, named as per seen in your system settings page.
Examples inside:

Spoiler

3DS_System_Settings_MainMenu.png The U means you own a US 3DS.

1280x720.jpg The E at the end means you own a EU 3DS.

unnamed.jpg The J means you're using a JP 3DS.

img1.daumcdn.net.png and K would mean you're using a KO 3DS.

Game Save Language refers to the language you selected at the start of the game.

Spoiler

Remember that when you first start the game, you get to select your game language:
image.png

If you have PKhex, it's this:
Capture.PNG

Wonder Card Language refers to the language of the wonder card, identified by the distribution text and distribution title.
That is how our wonder cards are categorized in our Event Gallery.

Pokemon Language refers to the language of origin of the Pokemon itself.
Most wonder cards are programmed to have the generated Pokemon follow the Game Save Language,
as opposed to the Wonder Card Language.

Region locked:        Event redemption (usually code) only redeemable on that one region.
Region Free:           Event redemption not restricted by regions.
Region Expanded:  Event may allow multiple regions, but not all.

Now that we are all caught up, more reading!

Types of distributions in Generation 7

Right now, these are the primary types of distributions, and how they are categorized:

Serial code - Region locked or region expanded
Local Wireless - Region Free
Nintendo Network - Region locked

An example of such a scenario is the Lunar Shiny Magikarp.

Also, it appears that for HKTW unique distributions, you can only receive the distribution on EU 3DS,
If your game save language is ENG, JPN, KOR, CHS or CHT.          (thanks @Kirzi )
[meaning otherwise, you won't be able to receive the wonder card]

Region locked options

image.png

The simplicity of Local Distribution events

Most, if not all, of Local Wireless and Infrared Region Free events only broadcast the wonder card in one language,
which is normally the native language spoken in that country.

Example, events held at Mega Tokyo Pokemon Center in Tokyo, Japan usually have Wonder Card Language as JPN.
Events held in some mall in South Korea usually has Wonder Card Language as KOR.

And since these events are Region Free, you can go and receive them on any 3DS region.

Don't get duped by the Language Tab in a summary screen

Ah, that black box that is the stuff of nightmares.
Capture.PNG

During the release of the JPN Tapu Koko, people thought that only one that bears the "JPN" can be legit.

WRONG.

The language of the Pokemon (that we know is generated by Game Save Language) isn't the same as 3DS Region.
It'll show up as long as language of Pokemon is different from game save language.

Here's an example of the Legal Tapu Koko.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

As you can see, name and language is ENG, language tag doesn't appear (because game save language is same as PKM language),
and 3DS Region is JP, meaning it's completely legal.

It is possible for an event to force the pkm language to match the wonder card language, but so far it's only done on Ash-Greninja.

Always be aware if the event is Region Locked, and whether it forces the Language of the Pokemon to follow Wonder Card Language.

PS: PKHeX isn't programmed to deal with region locked events, as the wonder card themselves doesn't show whether it is region locked.
So you may have a Pokemon with the wrong region, and PKHeX wouldn't correct you on it.

Conclusion

And there you have it. I've imparted all the knowledge I know regarding this.
Make good use of this information.

I'll give you a potato for surviving this long post, but I can't.

Feel free to ask questions,
However, anyone who posts questions that have the answers in this,
(basically giving me the impression that you didn't read this)
shall be royally punished.

Haven't thought of how. Do we have any form of community service here, I wonder? ;)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I typically frown upon double posting, but since this isn't the same type of content or format as the main post, I'll excuse myself.

If you see anyone asking any language or region questions regarding events,
kindly direct them to read the first page of this thread.

(unless they're asking the questions in here, then wait for me to reply them)

4 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Note,
that are exceptions to the table above, that is due to the nature of Region Expanded events.

An example of such a scenario is the Lunar Shiny Magikarp.

To add onto that, HK/TW code events are only legal on EU consoles in certain languages: ENG, JPN, KOR, CHT, and CHS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirzi said:

To add onto that, HK/TW code events are only legal on EU consoles in certain languages: ENG, JPN, KOR, CHT, and CHS.

I actually wasn't too sure about this in gen 7, thanks for the confirmation!

Also, as a little tidbit,
for scenarios where common passwords are given out,
the Server logs your details when you receive it (Not sure if it's TID/SID/OT combination or GameSync ID),
meaning even when reverting to an older save, you will not be able to receive the event, despite having no records of it in your save file.
(This happened to me yesterday. I changed both out of instinct)

Just now, theSLAYER said:

I actually wasn't too sure about this in gen 7, thanks for the confirmation!

Also, as a little tidbit,
for scenarios where common passwords are given out,
the Server logs your details when you receive it (Not sure if it's TID/SID/OT combination or GameSync ID),
meaning even when reverting to an older save, you will not be able to receive the event, despite having no records of it in your save file.
(This happened to me yesterday. I changed both out of instinct)

Yep, it happened with Lunar Magikarp too. I believe all languages worked on NA, so it's as if they combined the regions for HKTW and SEA codes.

Interesting, the password thing is news to me.

31 minutes ago, Kirzi said:

Yep, it happened with Lunar Magikarp too. I believe all languages worked on NA, so it's as if they combined the regions for HKTW and SEA codes.

Interesting, the password thing is news to me.

I had a shared save across a few of my 3DS.
After the first collection, the rest couldn't collect.
Was trying to grab screenshots for event gallery lol

I don't think it would be sync ID since that would require having one. But if they use OT/SID/Name+-OTgender there's the really small chance of someone not being able to receive the event...unless PGL IDs are assigned to any given OT/SID/OTname when it first connects, but only stored in the save if you actually sync. Would be intresting to rule out this with a save that hasn't been synched.

Also, if there's a Tw 3DS region, how come there's no Tw folder in the gen 7 WC7 compilation file?
At first I thought simply no Tw events have been held yet, but then I read thatLunar Shiny Magikarp in your example has been distributed there.

30 minutes ago, suloku said:

I don't think it would be sync ID since that would require having one. But if they use OT/SID/Name+-OTgender there's the really small chance of someone not being able to receive the event...unless PGL IDs are assigned to any given OT/SID/OTname when it first connects, but only stored in the save if you actually sync. Would be intresting to rule out this with a save that hasn't been synched.

Also, if there's a Tw 3DS region, how come there's no Tw folder in the gen 7 WC7 compilation file?
At first I thought simply no Tw events have been held yet, but then I read thatLunar Shiny Magikarp in your example has been distributed there.

Right, that would make sense. I forgot that I'm using a save that already has a Game Sync ID.
I just checked, and my earlier saves all didn't have IDs.

In that case, it'll be controlled by OT/SID/NAME and Possible OT gender,
since I changed those, and it allowed me to receive the event again.

I've been skeptical of how the TW region is being treated.
It's like how I don't copy all of EU events into AU; it'll cause even more unnecessary duplication. (I mean, sheesh US, just follow EU -.- )

If there's any TW only events, then I'll definitely have to create a TW folder.
Until then, TW uses only ENG wonder cards from the EU and JP folder. (in terms of serial code or online wifi scenarios)
After all, there are no events hosted online (on the server/cdn) that are unique TW events.

Also, I've yet to confirm if anyone on our site uses a TW 3DS.
(I'll need to double confirm if it can grab all EU events. I've had a convo somewhere regarding this..)

• 3 weeks later...

Whats about Free Launcher?

I playing a Japanese Sun/Moon on a EU console, and i recived the Japanese Events like Muchlax & own Satoshi Pikachu

so after pick up these Events, they are in JPN Language but 3DS Region and Sub Country etc, are "illegal" or, so these pokemon are spotted as hacked/fake?

17 minutes ago, King Impoleon said:

Whats about Free Launcher?

I playing a Japanese Sun/Moon on a EU console, and i recived the Japanese Events like Muchlax & own Satoshi Pikachu

so after pick up these Events, they are in JPN Language but 3DS Region and Sub Country etc, are "illegal" or, so these pokemon are spotted as hacked/fake?

what free launcher?

yup, JP region locked events on EU device (and if their 3DS Region is incorrect) will be seen as illegal/hacked.

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

what free launcher?

yup, JP region locked events on EU device (and if their 3DS Region is incorrect) will be seen as illegal/hacked.

Region Free Launcher on Homebrew/Soundhaxx

so i could change it to Japanese country, Japanese Sub Region and JP 3DS

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, King Impoleon said:

Region Free Launcher on Homebrew/Soundhaxx

so i could change it to Japanese country, Japanese Sub Region and JP 3DS

If I remember right from @theSLAYER's past posts like this one you will not have a problem if you dont do a sync.

Also I think that if the wondercard is not region locked you can do some edit on PKhex like that you got it on a trade or even better like what I do, use one 3DS that you have Homebrew/Luma to get it in a game there and trade it on the main clean game on another clean 3DS

Anyone feel free to correct me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qaaz said:

If I remember right from @theSLAYER's past posts like this one you will not have a problem if you dont do a sync.

Also I think that if the wondercard is not region locked you can do some edit on PKhex like that you got it on a trade or even better like what I do, use one 3DS that you have Homebrew/Luma to get it in a game there and trade it on the main clean game on another clean 3DS

Anyone feel free to correct me

Yup, simply changing the region and make it look like it was received from a trade resolves the problem,
but it is probably safer to not have the smoking gun, which is the wonder card on a different region 3DS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

Yup, simply changing the region and make it look like it was received from a trade resolves the problem,
but it is probably safer to not have the smoking gun, which is the wonder card on a different region 3DS.

no my game is not sync with PGL so i don't have trouble to be banned

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

And the game itself right? (JPN 3DS with PAL title for example) 
I'm talking about the sync details like the picture on your thread

I for myself dont do sync (for now) but I'm thinking for future usage to buy a 3rd 3DS for me (JPN) for reasons like this one
[My main 3DS (a N3DS) is a Hyrule Edition and I dont want to CFW'd it because I dont want to lose it and I have a O3DS with Luma and all so there somethings I lose on on Luma side on N3DS and ofcourse the JPN events etc etc so maybe some 3rd 3DS can help me. Yep too much info :P )

@Qaaz Well the cartridge isn't recognized by their region; the service only seems to capture the version your 3DS is.
Also, if you manage to force an outside region cartridge onto your 3DS, when it saves, it'll update to the region the 3DS is, not the region the cart originally was from.

What went wrong for me, was I used luma changer and changed the region of my 3DS and went online,
without realizing it was changed.
They practically caught that change that same night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I *think* I have understood the concept. However, I still have a doubt about the the Gen 7 events list in the .rar file. I know Pikachu (JAP) And Shiny Tapu Koko (KOR) are illegal on a US 3DS regardless of Game Language. So why aren't these pokemon in the respective country folders and instead in the Common For All Regions Folder? 

PS: Can u plz tell me wondercards from which folders can be used on US 3DS with ENG Game language? 

Greatly Appreciated! 

Edited by ArceusRG

38 minutes ago, ArceusRG said:

I *think* I have understood the concept. However, I still have a doubt about the the Gen 7 events list in the .rar file. I know Pikachu (JAP) And Shiny Tapu Koko (KOR) are illegal on a US 3DS regardless of Game Language. So why aren't these pokemon in the respective country folders and instead in the Common For All Regions Folder?

Which Pikachu are you referring to?

And Shiny Tapu Koko KOR is released as Infrared (no region lock).

39 minutes ago, ArceusRG said:

PS: Can u plz tell me wondercards from which folders can be used on US 3DS with ENG Game language?

Common Folder and US folder.

If you want to know what individual Pokemon can be received by what region, check the table here:
https://projectpokemon.org/forums/files/category/6-generation-7/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

Which Pikachu are you referring to?

And Shiny Tapu Koko KOR is released as Infrared (no region lock).

Common Folder and US folder.

If you want to know what individual Pokemon can be received by what region, check the table here:
https://projectpokemon.org/forums/files/category/6-generation-7/

Okay.. So just to make sure I've got this right... If there is no region lock.. There is no language lock either.. Except in one case.. The lunar shiny magikarp one.. Where it was available in some languages only for the EU 3ds.. 

The Pikachu that I am referring to is in the Common folder under Japanese.. I'm not sure if it's a cap Pikachu or not.. It's in the picture.. 

Sorry for the trouble btw.. I'm kinda new to this.. 

PS: I found the Pikachu.. It's not capped.. Okay.. One another thing I found in the link u posted abt the individual region specific pokemon (table).. I found two Shiny Tapu Koko 's that were allowed in US region.. Does it mean I can have both of them on my US ENG 3ds? 

I've attached a picture too of the above.. 

I swear to God this is the last question.. Lol

Spoiler

Screenshot_20170504-154020.pngScreenshot_20170504-161245_01.png

57 minutes ago, ArceusRG said:

One another thing I found in the link u posted abt the individual region specific pokemon (table).. I found two Shiny Tapu Koko 's that were allowed in US region.. Does it mean I can have both of them on my US ENG 3ds?

Unless corrected or otherwise, the table speaks for itself

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArceusRG said:

Okay.. So just to make sure I've got this right... If there is no region lock.. There is no language lock either.. Except in one case.. The lunar shiny magikarp one.. Where it was available in some languages only for the EU 3ds.. 

The Pikachu that I am referring to is in the Common folder under Japanese.. I'm not sure if it's a cap Pikachu or not.. It's in the picture.. 

Sorry for the trouble btw.. I'm kinda new to this.. 

PS: I found the Pikachu.. It's not capped.. Okay.. One another thing I found in the link u posted abt the individual region specific pokemon (table).. I found two Shiny Tapu Koko 's that were allowed in US region.. Does it mean I can have both of them on my US ENG 3ds? 

I've attached a picture too of the above.. 

I swear to God this is the last question.. Lol

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20170504-154020.pngScreenshot_20170504-161245_01.png

6 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Unless corrected or otherwise, the table speaks for itself

I'll take that as a Yes then!!! 

Thanks a bunch!! You're a Savior!! @theSLAYER

7 minutes ago, ArceusRG said:

I'll take that as a Yes then!!! 

Thanks a bunch!! You're a Savior!! @theSLAYER

Speaking of Corrections, there's only one tapu koko (the KOR one) that can be redeemed on US right now, but somehow or rather there's 2 on the table.

I'll be investigating and fixing the entries.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...