Apricorn Balls and January's ban wave

I want to hack in some Apricorn Balls so I don't have to reset the game every time I fail a catch, but the ban wave in January is making me wonder... Is it possible for me to get banned for getting those extra balls? Furthermore, what WAS the cause of the bans during that wave?

4 hours ago, Latias4Ever said:

I want to hack in some Apricorn Balls so I don't have to reset the game every time I fail a catch, but the ban wave in January is making me wonder... Is it possible for me to get banned for getting those extra balls? Furthermore, what WAS the cause of the bans during that wave?

The reason of the ban was never truly identified.

It was assumed that it was because of stuff like:
1. some item count being too high
2. having every piece of clothing
3. having unreleased items
4. having complete pokedex, including unreleased stuff and forms

Discussion here:

7 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

The reason of the ban was never truly identified.

It was assumed that it was because of stuff like:
1. some item count being too high
2. having every piece of clothing
3. having unreleased items
4. having complete pokedex, including unreleased stuff and forms

Discussion here:

Interesting, I did notice that a few of the posts mentioned they had over 995 items, and indeed the Dex seems to be the most obvious culprit. I only intend on getting around 100 of every Apricorn Ball, or maybe just one or two kinds, so I might be fine. Regardless, thanks for the info and the thread.

You can get one of each legitimately in-game, so nothing prevents you from making playtroughs, get the balls, transfer them via pokemon trade and start over...
Of course no one would be doing this, but I don't think they'll ban because having too many of a legal item... but again having even 10 of each would require a tremendous amount of work. Current speedruns take between 5-6 hours, probably can be optimized with pokebank and some team transfer, but the game has been out for months, so someone crazy enough could have 50 of each legitimately... or even more.

I tend to go by the "if it's technically possible for someone to do it legaly, they won't ban for it", but I've been told nintendo banned people who used hackmons received from wondertrading so you never know with nintendo.

But you may get the balls you need, catch what you want and toss the balls before going online again, that should be pretty safe, they most likely won't be checking if you have too many pokemon caught with apricorn balls.