Is a Shiny Glitch Mew Legal?

Sabresite

Is a Shiny Glitch Mew Legal?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is a shiny glitch mew in vc1 acquired by ACE considered legal?

• Yes - I consider using bugs in the game that do not require external tools to be legal.
    • No - Since this is not how Nintendo intended, it is not legal.

What I think about this, and my opinion is?

If being able to get shiny Mew within the game itself from exploiting the glitch, I would think it's legal, since you're not using anything the edit the save file(to make the Mew just be in your inventory and have crazy stats) or using cheating device(like AR) to force a shiny Mew to spawn. It's a glitch deep within the game code, so it's an oversight and was never patched.

Though, if I was able to get one myself by using the glitch, I would just keep it and use it for my own benefit; whether it is legal or not; since I don't like trading with other people online. So what if it has just a general PID and SID from your own game save file from gen1? As long as we have one to help fill our Pokédex and keep shiny Mew for ourselves, there's no problem with it - at least for what I see.

- Soldjermon

tl;dr - is it possible without shortcuts? no: illegal.

There's a difference between abusing quirks (RNG) and causing normally unavailable quirks (glitch) and then abusing the glitch.

Glitches are not part of the intended game design, thus never legal (in the eyes of the official legality checker).

• Corrupting memory to trigger an unavailable/custom encounter is not legal. Encounter must be available without glitches.
  • Corrupting memory to replace data on an existing pkm is not legal. Data replacement must be available without glitches.

Examples:

• Semi-legit: Tweaking (glitch) to encounter the ingame Darkrai; no shortcuts were used during the current play session (soft reset after arriving), and the encounter is normally obtainable without shortcuts (event distribution).
  • Semi-legit: Hacking in the event item of a released event; again, no shortcuts were used during the current play session and the encounter is normally obtainable without shortcuts (event distribution).
  • Illegal: For the flute Arceus, encounter is only available via setup shortcuts.
  • Illegal: Encounter / setup is not available without glitches/cheats. Rage glitch, ACE, etc.

In the diagram posted by theSlayer, naturally and shortcuts are key words when determining legal/legit/illegal. Causing the game to behave unnaturally is not legal :)

• Like 4

On 10/2/2017 at 6:43 PM, theSLAYER said:

Think of this as a follow up question to my 2nd wall of text above:
If I soft reset my TID and SID to get the same TID (and OT) as a 10ANNIV event,
and nickname a 10ANNIV Pokemon, is it still considered Legal?
[repeat as above, but SID is RNG'd but TID is soft resetted]

Not tested on gen 3, but recent gen 1 events are made so you can't nickname them even with soft reset TID/OT combination. They should have checked for this in pokétransporter imho, I was actually very surprised they didn't since they bothered doing it for the gen 1 games.
Also, the fly/teleport glitch is easy, but still requires some proper setup (needs the correct trainer).

I'm gonna bring another point up: gamefreak isn't too strict with their legality checking: should we just state their standars as what is legal and accept generated pokémon that we know are impossible to get but GF allows in the PGL (i.e. a gen 3 old sea map mew not obtained in a japanese game, which can also be accessed with elaborate glitches and will get all the way to gen 7 with no problem, or so I've been told).

EDIT: also, there's the "problem" that pokétransporter messed up shininess for gen 1, if they fix it in gen 2 (if they ever release them) there would be two shiny dv spreads for gen1->7 and only one for gen2->7.

I don't have the skills to produce all gen 1 possible dv spreads, also, in yellow they should be a little different due to different timing in the code (or so I read). I think it would be great to have full possible dv spreads for each species for gen 1, but I also understand it would be a tremendous work that would not really make much a difference.

• 4 years later...

It is legal. Legality is not decided by whether or not it is intended to be done, it's determined by the Pokemon having features that can or can't be in the game already. If you had a Ditto with Roar of Time, it would not be legal (If you use the Rage glitch in gen 4, it is possible, but still illegal. This is because it has moves it is unable to learn without a glitch. Catching a Mew with a glitch is different because it has all the normal moves and stats a mew could have normally). If you are genning, you can make a Mew with any moves, any stats, any caught location, and anything else. If you give it things that it can't normally have, it will be illegal. Legality and legitimacy are two different things. Legitimacy is just whether or not you caught it within the game or used something else to inject that Pokemon. That is why a ditto from gen 4 with a ton of moves it can't normally have is legit but not legal (only through the Rage glitch). This means that, technically, a glitch Mew from generation 1 is legal and legit. Another thing that proves it is that you can transfer a glitch Mew up to newer generations and put it through wonder trade or something. There are a few things that can make illegal Pokemon tradeable, such as taking the ribbon off of a shiny event Genesect from gen 6 and trading it in gen 7, but that isn't how the Mew is. A glitch Mew is not an event with a ribbon and fateful encounter; it's just a normal encounter that you just had to use a glitch to get to and you can trade it without having to change anything about it.

Edit: I also want to add the fact that a gen 1 Pokemon transferred to gen 2 became shiny based on its stats, so a shiny mew from the glitch would still be legal since it does not have preset stats when you encounter it.

Edited by HumanThatExists
I needed to add an explanation for the shiny one being legal