Pokémon X save files for Citra

Since Citra has problems with X/Y where the game crashes during the intro, and in some cases, when choosing your starter, I went ahead and made save files for every gender + appearance + starter combinations.

Each save file is saved right after receiving the starter, and the files are named appropriately (left/center/right refers to the character appearance, in the same order as they appear during the intro.)

You just have to rename the file to main, open the save file in PKHeX to change OT, ID numbers and any other kind of info you'd want to change, and/or if you want a certain nature/certain IVs on your starter.

Important: PKHeX does not support editing your nickname for X/Y as of now. You will have to manually hex edit that yourself.

The most straightforward way to do so is to:

1. Open the save file in PKHeX, go to the Trainer Info menu, set your Trainer Name to your desired nickname and save the file.
  2. Open the save file in a hex editor (I personally like and recommend HxD) and press Ctrl+G to bring up the Goto menu.
  3. Type in 14048 (and select hex in the radio buttons, if it isn't already set to that by default) and press OK. This brings you over to where your Trainer Name is located in the save file.
  4. Highlight the bytes from 0x14048 to 0x1405F and Copy (Ctrl+C) them. Then move the cursor over to 0x14062 and hit Ctrl+B to Paste+Write the bytes you copied from your OT.
  5. Save the file, then open it in PKHeX and change your Trainer Name to what you actually want as your OT. Save the file (this will also correct the save file checksum; two birds one stone!)

I've not tested them, but they should hopefully work fine for their intended purpose. Apparently I can spend 3 hours making those save files, but I'm too lazy to dump&decrypt X/Y to test them in Citra.

Those are X save files, also. As far as I'm aware they should work fine with Y too but correct me if I'm wrong.

If HxD created a main.bak file in the save's folder, remove it. (Back it up to your computer)
If your save folder has other files besides main inside, the game will not load the save properly.

CitraSaves.zip

• evandixon pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I cant get the save to show in Citra. My game boots but crashes after char creation. Where do i store the save file? Some google searching told me it was users -sdmc - nintendo 3 DS - bunch of 0s - bunch of 0s - title - 000400000 - 00055d00 ?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Yeah that correlates with my understanding. However placing the saves there doesnt seem 2 to do it. I rename em to ''Main'', place em there and boot? I even tried placing it in every folder now. Any chance thats the problem actually?
Sincerely appreciate any help.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/2/2017 at 10:21 PM, Ammako said:

Important: PKHeX does not support editing your nickname for X/Y as of now. You will have to manually hex edit that yourself.

Just in case anyone cares, Pokémon XY are still unplayable on Citra. The freezes are still there.

However, I'd like to know how to modify the Player's nickname. I tried opening the main file with HxD and Ctrl+F'd "citra" and "Citra" but it didn't find anything.

8 minutes ago, Lunos said:

Just in case anyone cares, Pokémon XY are still unplayable on Citra. The freezes are still there.

However, I'd like to know how to modify the Player's nickname. I tried opening the main file with HxD and Ctrl+F'd "citra" and "Citra" but it didn't find anything.

Use PKHeX (trainer nickname is supported now), editing save files has extra checksums which prevent simple hex edits.

Strings for gen5+ are stored in Unicode format, so you'll have to check "Unicode string" when searching.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2017 at 11:46 PM, Stararzu&Pokemon&More said:

Hi It Ain't Woking me

You see i have a problem with pokemon ultra sun...when i try to use pkhex for the ultra sun save file it says save file is too large unsupported please help me

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2017 at 4:35 AM, theSLAYER said:

On my version of Citra, my save for Pokemon sun is:
citra\app-0.1.114\user\sdmc\Nintendo 3DS\00000000000000000000000000000000\00000000000000000000000000000000\title\00040000\00164800\data\00000001

I would imagine for X/Y just change 00164800 to the relevant game.

I know this is an old post but for future reference, all you need to do is right click the game you have a save for and click "Open Save Data Location" ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

SO ... either one is fine. 
Hm.. Can you inform us where the language option is hidden in Hex ? Line?
... As I am from Germany, Schleswig-Holstein, speak german - (for the sake of pokemon names), want to play a female charakter :D With either fenekin or froakie ^^ yet to decide.. 

But.. Its just.. I try to find it .. but this is just gibberish for most of it. @@ i really wish it were different. :/ But i just cant change that stuff as easily as i am a noob. Hex i can use just fine.. though. 

1 hour ago, Karmapanda said:

SO ... either one is fine. 
Hm.. Can you inform us where the language option is hidden in Hex ? Line?
... As I am from Germany, Schleswig-Holstein, speak german - (for the sake of pokemon names), want to play a female charakter :D With either fenekin or froakie ^^ yet to decide.. 

But.. Its just.. I try to find it .. but this is just gibberish for most of it. @@ i really wish it were different. :/ But i just cant change that stuff as easily as i am a noob. Hex i can use just fine.. though. 

PKHeX allows for changing of the game save's Language.
image.png

• 4 months later...

Yeah this literally doesn't work in the slightest for me. I followed the instructions exactly, but whenever I open the rom after finishing up, it just has my character set in an endless blue background, nothing around me, unable to walk anywhere. It only happens directly after editing with pkhex- it works PERFECTLY FINE before that. Trying to open it directly after editing it with HxD just says corrupted save file.

Please help, I don't understand what the hell is messing everything up [aside from PkHex itself]

Edit: Here's a screenshot of what happens after editing :/MiEcfH5.png

Edited by JK Howling
Screenshot

9 minutes ago, JK Howling said:

Yeah this literally doesn't work in the slightest for me. I followed the instructions exactly, but whenever I open the rom after finishing up, it just has my character set in an endless blue background, nothing around me, unable to walk anywhere. It only happens directly after editing with pkhex- it works PERFECTLY FINE before that. Trying to open it directly after editing it with HxD just says corrupted save file.

Please help, I don't understand what the hell is messing everything up [aside from PkHex itself]

Did you change the location using PKHeX?

What part of the game did you save in? Did you remove the main.bak generated by HxD?
Did you try editing the save with other version of PKHeX?

While I didn't try this on newer version of PKHeX, the edits worked fine for me previously,
so I'm doubtful the problem is PKHeX.

In the mean time, try doing the edits either:
1. In a Pokemon Center
2. Outdoors in the starting City

Also, check this page and give it a try:

Just now, theSLAYER said:

Did you change the location using PKHeX?

What part of the game did you save in? Did you remove the main.bak generated by HxD?
Did you try editing the save with other version of PKHeX?

While I didn't try this on newer version of PKHeX, the edits worked fine for me previously,
so I'm doubtful the problem is PKHeX.

I didn't change the location.

I didn't save anywhere- my player character is sitting in the exact spot it is when I load in the save file. I didn't move or play at all, as I wasn't directed to in the instructions given.

I didn't change anything except explicitly what's said to change in the directions. Going into PkHex to change changing the trainer name [save], going into HxD and editing what's said to edit [save], then going back into PkHex to change the trainer name again [save].

I did not remove the main.bak generated by HxD.

I tried editing with both the old version of PkHex that I've been using for awhile, and a recently updated one. Same problem on both, no change whatsoever between them.

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

to be clear, is this in the Citra's save folder? there can only be main in the folder that Citra reads the save from.
Nothing else can be there. Make sure nothing else is in the folder, then try again.

It works now! Would've been nice to know that in the first place, I can't help but wonder if roms I've tried to get working in the past have failed because of this as well.. None of the information I've found on the internet has mentioned this whatsoever.

Thank you so much ;w; Especially for the quick reply.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JK Howling said:

It works now! Would've been nice to know that in the first place, I can't help but wonder if roms I've tried to get working in the past have failed because of this as well.. None of the information I've found on the internet has mentioned this whatsoever.

Thank you so much ;w; Especially for the quick reply.

I think it's a Switch and 3DS thing. You're only supposed to import the save, and nothing else.
Since Citra is a PC homebrew port of the 3DS, assumingly the same principle applies: Nothing else can be in the save folder except the actual save.

edit: I added that disclaimer in the first post, so it is clearer.
I stumbled upon that information because I accidentally imported a save that had extra files,
hence I knew of it. Not sure if it's common information, so added it regardless/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...