Has Anyone Cracked Pokemon Channel?

I'd like to apologize first off if I'm posting this in the wrong area of the forum. If I'm doing anything wrong here, please either move this someplace that's worth it or just delete it and ding me however is needed. I understand.

To my point, though, I'm totally new to the concept of ROMhacking, especially in ISOs like Gamecube titles. The closest I've come to experiencing it is that time when Starsmmd made Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen and I got that installed on my computer. That was a load of fun, and it made me wonder just what else could get cracked into.

Thus my idea came to a childhood favorite guilty pleasure and admittedly-novel concept of Pokemon Channel. Y'know, that Pikachu TV-watching simulator that looked so babyish to you that you passed it up? Unless you lived in Europe and could get Jirachi by finishing the game? Well, I'd love to know if anyone's already worked on that or if I can be pointed in the right direction.

It wouldn't be for anything big or expansive like exchanging Pikachu's model for Tyranitar or modding out cries or soundbytes or something. The absolute most I'd love to do is change text around when it's prompted, or be able to control the text boxes period. Like for a little personal machinima project that I'd love to at least take a look at.

If anyone knows where I could start pulling threads in terms of codebreaking or hacking, please. By all means, be as blunt as possible in what I should do. I wholeheartedly appreciate it. :)

I was able to extract and insert textures of models using some things I wrote for Pokemon XD, I'll be posting those in a different Thread soon.

I'm still working on video replacements and I could try to find the text data if you want that.

5 hours ago, shinypikachu23 said:

I'd like to apologize first off if I'm posting this in the wrong area of the forum. If I'm doing anything wrong here, please either move this someplace that's worth it or just delete it and ding me however is needed. I understand.

To my point, though, I'm totally new to the concept of ROMhacking, especially in ISOs like Gamecube titles. The closest I've come to experiencing it is that time when Starsmmd made Pokemon XG: NeXt Gen and I got that installed on my computer. That was a load of fun, and it made me wonder just what else could get cracked into.

Thus my idea came to a childhood favorite guilty pleasure and admittedly-novel concept of Pokemon Channel. Y'know, that Pikachu TV-watching simulator that looked so babyish to you that you passed it up? Unless you lived in Europe and could get Jirachi by finishing the game? Well, I'd love to know if anyone's already worked on that or if I can be pointed in the right direction.

It wouldn't be for anything big or expansive like exchanging Pikachu's model for Tyranitar or modding out cries or soundbytes or something. The absolute most I'd love to do is change text around when it's prompted, or be able to control the text boxes period. Like for a little personal machinima project that I'd love to at least take a look at.

If anyone knows where I could start pulling threads in terms of codebreaking or hacking, please. By all means, be as blunt as possible in what I should do. I wholeheartedly appreciate it. :)

I really loved that game! Everything is hackable with enough dedication. Maybe I'll take a look at some point and see what I can find so I can get you started :)

Ok, most of the text is in the pchall.bmg file in the /en/pch folde ( it's probably something else instead of en for other releases).

It's a String table which starts with the magic bytes "MESGbmg1" followed by the total file size.

following are the two 4 byte values 0x00000002 and 0x01000000, not sure what they are for yet.

At 0x20, there are the magic bytes "INF1" for the offset section which contains offsets for every String in the file followed by the offset (relative to the start of this section, so just add 0x20) for the section of the file that contains the Strings . It can just as well be interpreted as the sizeof this section.

Next is a 2 byte value containing the amount of Strings in the file and another value that seems to always be 0x0004 and another one that's either 0x0001 or 0x0000.

0x10 bytes relative to the section start is where the list of offsets start. These offsets are relative to the start of the String data in the next section.

At the start of this second section the first thing are again some magic bytes "DAT1" followed by a 4 byte value containing the size of this section or the offset to the end of the file relative to the section start.

The String data starts at 0x8 relative to the section start.

The following Strings are regular C strings with the exception of the character 0x5E, which starts a highlighted part of a String, tking the following byte as a parameter (I don't know which corresponds to what) . This highlighted part is terminated by two 0x5E in a row.