Migrating Pokemon From Older Games

varnius

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section to post this in.

I tend to make backups of my games so that I can play them on my PC or just so I can have access to the data on the save.

I was wondering if, for example, I have a .sav for a 3rd Gen game, and want to migrate some Pokemon over to my 7th Gen game, would it be as simple as copying and pasting the Pokemon into my 7th Gen save file for them to be considered legal or do I have to go through some extra process for that?

Thanks in advance.

You can do it PKHeX, however at the moment there is no way to move anything prior to 6th Gen into 7th Gen using only Nintendo/GAME FREAK methods.  I'm sure this functionality will be added once Pokémon Bank for Sun and Moon is released, but at this time if you use PKHeX to do so it would not be considered "legal".  The prior generation Pokémon cannot be traded online in Sun and Moon when I attempted to do so.  I don't know about battling, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are prohibited there until Bank is given.

Edited by This Remedy

1 hour ago, This Remedy said:

You can do it PKHeX, however at the moment there is no way to move anything prior to 6th Gen into 7th Gen using only Nintendo/GAME FREAK methods.  I'm sure this functionality will be added once Pokémon Bank for Sun and Moon is released, but at this time if you use PKHeX to do so it would not be considered "legal".  The prior generation Pokémon cannot be traded online in Sun and Moon when I attempted to do so.  I don't know about battling, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are prohibited there until Bank is given.

What would I need to do to migrate them over to Gen 6? Is it as simple as pasting in the Pokemon into the designated save file?

Yes, you can load any Gen. pkm file from 3 to 6 into a higher Gen. save file and it will automatically do the conversion exactly like how the official transfer methods do (except way faster :p)