Patch for 4th GEN game via GBA slot?

Hi. In my current HG/SS hacking progress, I found the modified files, are ARM9.bin, and other 5 files in the subfolder of the Data\A folder.

Could exists a way to use these files with the original games, maybe via a GBA rom that can overwrite temporarily these files in the NDS ram when the original game and the special GBA rom are inserted?

Then a patch for an original game?

35 minutes ago, Halfshadow said:

Hi. In my current HG/SS hacking progress, I found the modified files, are ARM9.bin, and other 5 files in the subfolder of the Data\A folder.

Could exists a way to use these files with the original games, maybe via a GBA rom that can overwrite temporarily these files in the NDS ram when the original game and the special GBA rom are inserted?

Then a patch for an original game?

An actual Cartridge, not a flashcart?

No such method exists.

• Like 1

• theSLAYER locked and unlocked this topic

To elaborate that isn't something that would be possible without modifying the game anyway... because the game isn't programmed to load any such content from Slot-2, it wouldn't be possible. You'd have to have a rom edit that allowed it to read that kind of data from slot-2 and even then there is probably limitations on what kind of data can be run from slot-2 while playing a DS game anyway.

Not that I'm an expert on that so I don't know the specifics... but yeah.

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Actually I may be wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about:
Using GBA to ram patch NDS carts

A quick google seems to imply it's done like this:
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/nintendo_ds/ndspatch/ndspatcher-roms.htm

As far as I'm aware this doesn't really have anything to do with what Halfshadow had in mind, but to be fair their post was pretty difficult to understand.

4 minutes ago, Ammako said:

To elaborate that isn't something that would be possible without modifying the game anyway... because the game isn't programmed to load any such content from Slot-2, it wouldn't be possible. You'd have to have a rom edit that allowed it to read that kind of data from slot-2 and even then there is probably limitations on what kind of data can be run from slot-2 while playing a DS game anyway.

Not that I'm an expert on that so I don't know the specifics... but yeah.

As far as I'm aware this doesn't really have anything to do with what Halfshadow had in mind, but to be fair their post was pretty difficult to understand.

Well if the main concern is to simply use Pokewalker with a modified HGSS rom,

I'm assuming that if you had an actual HGSS cart in DS slot,
the NDS may be able to successfully use the DS cart to communicate with Pokewalker,
while reading from the modified rom from the gba flash cart

Whatever I said above, is merely pure speculation, make-belief, so take it with a micrograin of salt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Halfshadow said:

I want also, basically, use my original Soul silver game and gamesave with my improved work.

have you tried?

running a modified rom and save in gba slot-2, have actual soul silver in slot 1,
and try to use pokewalker?

I'm curious to hear the result.

10 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Well if the main concern is to simply use Pokewalker with a modified HGSS rom,

I'm assuming that if you had an actual HGSS cart in DS slot,
the NDS may be able to successfully use the DS cart to communicate with Pokewalker,
while reading from the modified rom from the gba flash cart

Whatever I said above, is merely pure speculation, make-belief, so take it with a micrograin of salt.

Heh yeah I do suppose there is a possibility, however those tools are very old and got discontinued since at least 2005-2006. It's likely you wouldn't be able to get HG/SS (2009/2010) to run properly on a Slot-2 flashcard. :P

But yeah if your rom hack doesn't change anything that affects save file format too much, you'd be able to use the save file in a retail cartridge for Pokéwalker purposes and export it back to flashcard afterwards.

Just now, Ammako said:

Heh yeah I do suppose there is a possibility, however those tools are very old and got discontinued since at least 2005-2006. It's likely you wouldn't be able to get HG/SS (2009/2010) to run properly on a Slot-2 flashcard. :P

I would not be surprised if that happened.
If I recall when HGSS popped up, original methods of save backing up had issues popping up left right and center.

Another caveat is that it is unlikely that anyone would be interested to develop such a system,
even if a modded HGSS was able to from Slot-2, but Infrared connection to Pokewalker was unstable/not connecting.