Something isn't working right here...

NekoSabrina

Okay, I may have set myself up for some pain with this, but I have run into a weird occurrence trying to make some eggs in a Pokémon Black rom I've been using as the testing grounds for my PokeGen experiments.

I made a whole bunch of eggs (they're all White Forest Pokémon) in my Black save, and in PokeGen they seem to all be okay, but in the game, not so much. As you can clearly see from the screenshot, the location and date data is messed up somehow. I've been over pretty much every detail of the data in PokeGen and it looks okay, so why is it not working right? (and I've tried checking the 'Matching Trainer Information' checkbox and that doesn't work either). Now, the one thing that might possibly be fouling me up in the blatantly obvious category is that I don't have the Trainer info for my Black version trainer attached to these Eggs (they're meant to work as if they've been traded onto the file from another game, hence why game of origin is set to White instead of Black and the trainer info of the trainer in another rom is on these eggs). Now, I meant to actually trade an egg from my Black 2 cart onto the rom so I had an example of what a traded egg looked like data-wise, but AltWFC seems to not be working right so I wasn't able to do that (server's up, but can't connect to it), so I was kinda forced to improvise.

eggerror.png

Edited by NekoSabrina

26 minutes ago, NekoSabrina said:

Okay, I may have set myself up for some pain with this, but I have run into a weird occurrence trying to make some eggs in a Pokémon Black rom I've been using as the testing grounds for my PokeGen experiments.

I made a whole bunch of eggs (they're all White Forest Pokémon) in my Black save, and in PokeGen they seem to all be okay, but in the game, not so much. As you can clearly see from the screenshot, the location and date data is messed up somehow. I've been over pretty much every detail of the data in PokeGen and it looks okay, so why is it not working right? (and I've tried checking the 'Matching Trainer Information' checkbox and that doesn't work either). Now, the one thing that might possibly be fouling me up in the blatantly obvious category is that I don't have the Trainer info for my Black version trainer attached to these Eggs (they're meant to work as if they've been traded onto the file from another game, hence why game of origin is set to White instead of Black and the trainer info of the trainer in another rom is on these eggs). Now, I meant to actually trade an egg from my Black 2 cart onto the rom so I had an example of what a traded egg looked like data-wise, but AltWFC seems to not be working right so I wasn't able to do that (server's up, but can't connect to it), so I was kinda forced to improvise.

eggerror.png

what if you view save in PKHeX?

edit:
checking an Egg I have in Black,
it seems the As Egg on your second image should not be checked..

edit2:
right now I'm not so sure, cause I got one checked and another unchecked..

The 'As Egg' checkbox on the Met tab is auto-checked if the Egg box is checked on the main tab, so that seems to be normal.

It's either the Trainer ID data (but if it's traded, it should have the trainer data of where the egg originated from, no?) or that 'Matching trainer information' checkbox....which despite how much I've tried won't stay checked (I'll check it, save the changes, load said changes on the rom, but when I check it the box goes back to being unchecked, meanwhile it's checked on an egg I generated in the rom the old-fashioned way).

EDIT: Seems PKHeX handles things differently than PokeGen (but it won't edit a Gen 5 save, at least not the version I'm using). However it does seem to work the same way - if the Pokémon is set to be an egg, then the 'As Egg' is auto-checked. Still can't seem to find any possible mistakes, though...

EDIT 2: Updated my PKHeX to a newer version but....yeah, nothing new. Still haven't figured out how to fix this.

Edited by NekoSabrina

8 hours ago, NekoSabrina said:

The 'As Egg' checkbox on the Met tab is auto-checked if the Egg box is checked on the main tab, so that seems to be normal.

It's either the Trainer ID data (but if it's traded, it should have the trainer data of where the egg originated from, no?) or that 'Matching trainer information' checkbox....which despite how much I've tried won't stay checked (I'll check it, save the changes, load said changes on the rom, but when I check it the box goes back to being unchecked, meanwhile it's checked on an egg I generated in the rom the old-fashioned way).

EDIT: Seems PKHeX handles things differently than PokeGen (but it won't edit a Gen 5 save, at least not the version I'm using). However it does seem to work the same way - if the Pokémon is set to be an egg, then the 'As Egg' is auto-checked. Still can't seem to find any possible mistakes, though...

EDIT 2: Updated my PKHeX to a newer version but....yeah, nothing new. Still haven't figured out how to fix this.

I'm pretty confused to why you having that issue too, cause I recreated an egg, managed to get it with and without the check,
and the date looks okay in the emulator.

I even tried different save editors (my own pokestar enabler) and pkhex and while data wise they are different, they all appear in game with the date..

Well the thing that might be what's biting me is the OT data. Since I wanted this egg to look like it was traded, I put the data of the trainer on another file on these eggs rather than the data of the trainer on that file.

The only thing is that I don't have an example of a traded egg on the cart to work with to know if that's what's screwing me up or not. I tried to do that, but AltWFC has been having technical difficulties so I can't get one in to look at the data.

For the record, the "Matching trainer information" checkbox isn't meant to be checked manually. You use "Load from save file" in the OT/Misc tab and Matching trainer information will be checked to show that the OT info on the Pokémon matches the save file.

"As egg" automatically gets unchecked whenever I save a save file, whether PokéGen automatically sets it when I checked Egg in the Main tab or I manually check it in the Met tab.

What if you tried somebody else's .pkm file as-is without changing any of the data? You should be able to drag the .pkm file directly from folders to any slot in the party or boxes without having to load to tabs, in case your PokéGen is messing up the data when saving it from tabs.

(It could help to upload your save file + the egg .pkm files in question. You can delete every other Pokémon from your save before sharing if you don't want people being able to just take your Pokémon from it.)

pidgey.pkm

Edited by Guest

I was playing around a little and I think I might be onto something. I wish I had been able to do that egg trading I planned to do as part of the preparation for this (again, AltWFC seemingly with technical difficulties), but I think I've managed to figure out enough to possibly fix this. I'll give it a try later when I have some time (it's a lot of eggs to edit if I got it right).

EDIT: PKHeX helped quite a bit in sorting this out, but it seems that for whatever reason, the location data on the eggs was being reversed (the received from was being set as the non-existent hatched at location and vice-versa). Fixing that is making everything look right now (and you can see the process of fixing things in the pictures).

eggfixed.png

EDIT 2: So apparently this only applies to eggs that are "traded", and normal eggs actually work like how it shows in the first image. Go figure...

Edited by NekoSabrina