Bug report : OT name may changed after trade

Thomas_Yang

Hi everyone,

I guess I find a bug when I'm using pkhex(161221) and I think I should post it here.

The bug is: a pokemon modifed by pkhex may change its OT name after trade.

Here come the details:

The Espeon in the figure was caught by me in the game 100% legally. I only moved it from one slot to another via pkhex (by setting a new one and deleting the original).

When I traded it with my friends today I noticed the OT name has been changed to "Moon." as shown as the figure by accident. (The last handler name is my game character's name)

For reproduction, I tried to move a just-hatched Cubone in the same way and changed its EV. After trading it with my friend, the same thing, OT changing to "Moon.", happened again.

If this bug is confirmed, hope it would be fixed in the furture.

PS:  May the bug caused by the chars? I can find slightly difference of the char '♂' presented in the game, that is, the '♂' in pokemons modifed by pkhex is a little lower than the one in my normal pokemons.

Thank you.

pkbug.png

Try the same thing again, capture a Pokémon in-game and trade it over to your friend, but leave PKHeX out of the picture.

For the record, the games have changed inappropriate and/or invalid OTs to default ones when traded over Wi-Fi ever since Gen. 5

28 minutes ago, Ammako said:

Try the same thing again, capture a Pokémon in-game and trade it over to your friend, but leave PKHeX out of the picture.

For the record, the games have changed inappropriate and/or invalid OTs to default ones when traded over Wi-Fi ever since Gen. 5

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried some of my other original pokemons. If you mean a normal trade without the pokemons modifed by pkhex, then everything is fine. 

In my case, the name changing caused by trade only happens on the pokemons that modifed by pkhex. And I guess there may be some issues that make my OT name inappropriate when setting a pokemon via pkhex.

Yeah, if it doesn't happen without using PKHeX, then it must be doing something to the OT that it shouldn't.

If you were able to see a difference in the ♂ symbol then I'd wager it was that. I'd recommend attaching a .pk7 of one of the Pokémon in question, and if possible a save file (you could probably clear out the boxes if you don't want people to be able to take your Pokémon from it.)

(It must cause Pokémon to start acting as if they were traded too, does it?)

18 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

Hilarious stuff Game Freak; using the full-width gender symbol for logographic languages but the custom-font for latin/etc languages.

Looks like they do it for Nicknames too and even for Gen6 saves. Shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the get/set for those strings.

So if I'm reading this correct,
If you trade a Pokemon with invalid OT Name to another game, it takes the OT name of the new trainer?

23 minutes ago, Ammako said:

Yeah, if it doesn't happen without using PKHeX, then it must be doing something to the OT that it shouldn't.

If you were able to see a difference in the ♂ symbol then I'd wager it was that. I'd recommend attaching a .pk7 of one of the Pokémon in question, and if possible a save file (you could probably clear out the boxes if you don't want people to be able to take your Pokémon from it.)

Attached please find the .pk7 and main (exported by savedatafilter) files. The 1E84F813025B is the name-changed Espeon I mentioned, and the 2117F813025B is the Espeon before trade.

29 minutes ago, Ammako said:

(It must cause Pokémon to start acting as if they were traded too, does it?)

Exactly.

23 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

Hilarious stuff Game Freak; using the full-width gender symbol for logographic languages but the custom-font for latin/etc languages.

Looks like they do it for Nicknames too and even for Gen6 saves. Shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the get/set for those strings.

:D  Really thank you for fixing this in the future.

196 - Sunny - 1E84F813025B.pk7

196 - Sunny - 2117F813025B.pk7

main

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

If you trade a Pokemon with invalid OT Name to another game, it takes the OT name of the new trainer?

No, the keypad available characters for JP/KO/ZH has the fullwidth (\u2640) instead of the half-width custom character (\uE08F), using ♀ as an example.

For the latin based languages the half-width character is... more visibly pleasing than the larger full-width.

PKHeX operated under the assumption that the full-width was only used in the game story text files and that Nicknames/OTs could only use the half-width; guess that's not true (PKHeX is mainly developed by people who play in English, hence why it wasn't noticed).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

The games have pre-set OT names to change the OT to if OT name on a Pokémon was considered inappropriate or invalid.

For example, in Gen. V it would change the OT to Black.