Gen 3 Event Generation Algorithm Research (10ANNIV, etc)

Wow! Its been a while since I last looked at Gen3 event research but things seem to have progressed quite a lot! Great job guys! :D

Also I think it would be useful to post the savefiles/pk3 files in the first post so it is easier for everyone to access them.

I saw at another site that some of the kind people on this thread came together to get the community a Berry Glitch Zigzagoon Distro Cart. I'd like to give you my thanks for that generosity, and I'll be around should you guys ever need someone else to pitch in a bit for future stuff like that. 

• Like 3

If I remember correctly, the Berry Glitch Zigzagoon Distro Cart basically has the same agb client binary that's also on the US Demo Disc. It's just being sent by the multiboot demo from the Game Boy Advance SDK instead of a GameCube, because it allows for up to 3 games to receive it at once.
Glad I got it for free a couple years ago, I wouldn't pay for it. Anyone can hack this together, not really exciting stuff.

It's exactly as @Purin says.
It's the very same Multiboot Rom that was being used for the GCN Distribution.
So... yeah... from a technical standpoint and for this research it isn't really interesting. 
But I'm thankful that people still working together to get new material for the Research.
I appreciate any kind of help.
:) 

2 hours ago, ajxpk said:

It's exactly as @Purin says.
It's the very same Multiboot Rom that was being used for the GCN Distribution.

I did half wonder about that as it talks about the GC to GBA cable. It looks like the only thing it's doing special is sending the same multiboot out, however to 3x GBA's at a time.

Still it's nice its been preserved, which for something rare and obscure it always a bonus in my book :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zeropain said:

If its possible could someone post some pictures of the distribution cart? Just curious.

It's one of the really early Gen 3 distributions, that's why it's using a large older type of GBA dev/proto cart and GBA, versus the smaller dev/proto carts and an SP that we normally associate with GBA distro carts.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=983688&ppid=1122&image=569867962&images=569867962,569868031,569868100,569868222,569868298&formats=0,0,0,0,0&format=0

1 hour ago, InsaneNutter said:

I did half wonder about that as it talks about the GC to GBA cable. It looks like the only thing it's doing special is sending the same multiboot out, however to 3x GBA's at a time.

Still it's nice its been preserved, which for something rare and obscure it always a bonus in my book :)

The GCN-to-GBA cable, as well as mentioning to "check the TV screen". I figured it was pretty much unmodified from the GameCube disc, other than what's neccessary for making it work on a GBA cartridge.

Anyway, I prefer this distribution on cartridge over a disc, since it's much simpler to use a GBA rom compared to GCN iso.

Regardless, it's another piece of rare pokemon data historically preserved and available for anyone's use.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 9:56 AM, Purin said:

If I remember correctly, the Berry Glitch Zigzagoon Distro Cart basically has the same agb client binary that's also on the US Demo Disc. It's just being sent by the multiboot demo from the Game Boy Advance SDK instead of a GameCube, because it allows for up to 3 games to receive it at once.
Glad I got it for free a couple years ago, I wouldn't pay for it. Anyone can hack this together, not really exciting stuff.

You had the gba zigzagoon rom earlier? Do u have others? Can u please share?

I do have a lot of other unreleased stuff, however I'm a man of my word and I keep my promises, so I'm sorry to say I'm unable to share roms.
One of the reasons, Gen 3 stuff contains hidden digital fingerprints which can be used by Nintendo to track down the original source!

This is how in the end, XJ55's fraud and contract violation (he released Auroraticket without permission) was possible to be proven as well.

6 hours ago, Purin said:

XJ55's fraud and contract violation (he released Auroraticket without permission) was possible to be proven as well.

this happened? where was I when it happened. (I meant the violation being proven)

6 hours ago, Purin said:

I do have a lot of other unreleased stuff, however I'm a man of my word and I keep my promises, so I'm sorry to say I'm unable to share roms.
One of the reasons, Gen 3 stuff contains hidden digital fingerprints which can be used by Nintendo to track down the original source!

What that in mind, I'm glad to just know it's in the safe hands of a great collector!

Keep them safe forever, those are hard to find

I read this for the first time as well... What happened with @XJ55?
I hope we will hear from him again, he promised that he will talk about some other stuff as soon as time comes.

@Purin I respect your choice that you want to keep these things for yourself.
However it would be cool to know from you what kind of things are in your collection.
Especially if it's something useful in terms of the Research. Feel free to PM me if there's something.

Regarding the digital fingerprints you mentioned... what kind of hocus pokus is that? lol

12 minutes ago, ajxpk said:

I read this for the first time as well... What happened with @XJ55?
I hope we will hear from him again, he promised that he will talk about some other stuff as soon as time comes.

Regarding the digital fingerprints you mentioned... what kind of hocus pokus is that? lol

Well for one, he just gets pissed off when people bring up his shaky reputation, which makes him unwilling to talk with us. Look at all past instances in this thread. I don't recommend you guys discuss that it in a public thread. Why piss him off when he can possibly help us out in the future?

Anyway, I thought the digital fingerprint thing was a myth with these roms, but this is the third person I hear mention it. If it's true, couldn't we just remove them with a bit of research? Then roms could leak without fear of being traced back to certain people(not saying @Purin would modify and leak what he has in particular). I can almost certainly say we'd see more distro roms become publicly available from other sources if these "fingerprints" were removed.

The public release of the Auroraticket distribution is XJ55's copy, that's a proven fact. He dealt with a contact of mine who is now terrified about what happened due to the said fingerprints! Part of the deal in which he got it was that it has to remain private and must not be shared with the public! I had long private conversations with both my contact and with XJ55, but I'm not leaking details here.

Digital fingerpriting at Nintendo is not a myth! Find multiple copies of any particular gba distribution program, they will never match. And that's not due to overdumping or anything like that. It's a security measure that is also being applied at debug builds and basically anything not mass-produced.

Is that true? So the orginal source of the leaked Rom is XJ55?
That's really interesting, I'm not allowed to talk about the details in public, but I know someone who dumped the same Rom from one of these cartridges and the Rom was 100% identical with the one that has been leaked. Which is why I believed as well that the story about these "digital fingerprints" is nothing but a myth. Also I have to say that this person is one of my most reliable contacts.

@Purin Well I didn't wanted to spell it out like this... but yeah, that could be possible and this would again confirm the worst case scenario.
However I don't want to make a judgment like this because there are many possibilities of what might actually have happened.
Too many details are kept in the dark so that it's really hard to see the bigger picture.
And like I said earlier, we have to keep in mind that we're talking about items that were originally stolen.
I mean it's cool that fans can get their hands on this stuff... we're all fans and we value and cherish these items... 
But there's also a shadow side about this which is undeniable.

Yes but in the case of the damaged ds distro carts, that's more of nintendo throwing them out and not disposing of them properly. Making one persons trash another persons treasure. I think those are ok. When nintendo bills them for the unreturned 10 anniv cart, is the store not essentially purchasing the cart?

3 hours ago, Purin said:

@ajxpk Wow, if that's really true, XJ55 may even have done worse things such as selling fake reproduction cartridges under a different name.

Well XJ55 was smart he profited from selling the cart and having the ROM dumped to the public. Now all the hoarders can no longer profit from selling the ROM. He decided to take the profit while he still could. Now no one else can profit from it. I think it was smart of him. Now only the original will be worth money. This is how it should be. The ROM shouldn't be worth money. Only the original. There's a reason why anyone can download the Nintendo Championships ROM and play it for free, but can sell the original for 25k if they have the original cart. I honestly think they should all be dumped to the public to keep it from the possibility of not standing the test of time and being lost forever. It would be smart to sell all unreleased ROMs to be dumped to the public while they still can. If XJ55 doesn't take the profit from it, someone else will, so why not right him take the profit before someone else does? Selling the ROM will preserve it, and preserve the value of the original cart.

On 3/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, YoshiMoshi said:

And doesn't nintendo charge the store for non returnedd carts like the 10 ANNIV system and thereby the store is buying it

The Gen 3 distributions were not mass produced, so nothing there wasn't anything to be "returned". They only exist on development carts and were handled solely by Nintendo reps afaik.

Why you're defending XJ55's actions like that is beyond me. He was trusted, but violated the agreement for his own financial profit, risking the job suspension and legal trouble of the original source, who now also no longer has the original cartrdige, and as I have been told, he didn't even receive a single dollar in the deal, because it was a trade! Looking at the newest developments, it now makes you wonder if XJ55's trade item was even fake. All this may have been beneficial for the community, but it was still a terrible action and morally very, very wrong.

2 minutes ago, Purin said:

The Gen 3 distributions were not mass produced, so nothing there wasn't anything to be "returned". They only exist on development carts and were handled solely by Nintendo reps afaik.

Why you're defending XJ55's actions like that is beyond me. He was trusted, but violated the agreement for his own financial profit, risking the job suspension and legal trouble of the original source, who now also no longer has the original cartrdige, and as I have been told, he didn't even receive a single dollar in the deal, because it was a trade! Looking at the newest developments, it now makes you wonder if XJ55's trade item was even fake. All this may have been beneficial for the community, but it was still a terrible action and morally very, very wrong.

What newest developments are you referring to exactly? I heard the original source of the carts who sold them to XJ55 didn't steal the carts so there were no legal obligations. But this is all he said she said lol.

I think the private issues been discussed in this thread should be discussed in private between the people involved, this thread is great for people still interested in GEN 3 events and the research behind them, however is rapidly been derailed.

The majority, myself included obviously don't know how private individuals on this forum came to obtain these distributions or what deals were made, so in my opinion its pointless discussing a private deal in a public thread, when most don't know the story behind it.

The only beneficial thing that has been learned from this is various individuals do have rare distributions for GEN 3, likely for event Pokemon that have long since been lost, or have at least not been publicly archived for future generations to enjoy.

Personally I would like to appeal to people who have GEN 3 distributions if they would consider distributing a set of the Pokemon on that distribution and sharing the actual Pokemon with us, or a save, not the rom. I personally can't see that doing any harm and it would be great for the community as a whole to have a more complete GEN 3 archive.

• Like 4

I kinda agree with @InsaneNutter but for different reasons.
I think it is in fact interesting to know how and where we got this Distribution Cartridges from. 
Considering that many facts are kept in the dark, it's really hard to tell what actually happened.
And I feel that discussion this will only spread more myths and rumors.
For example... @Purin claims now that @XJ55 received these items from a trade.
But from my knowledge and from what it was a financial deal.
As a matter of fact I'm not even convinced if there really is an digital fingerprint as long as I haven't seen it with my own eyes.