How to replace front sprite animations in HGSS?

Im trying to replace lance's front sprite animation with a static animation, but I have no idea how to do it. Ive tried replacing the RNAN and RECN with ones that are assigned to a trainer who's front sprite doesn't have an animation, but that didn't seem to do anything. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. :)

While I've not toyed with that yet, I'd imagine you could just edit the RCGN file so that all three frames are the same.

EDIT: For the record, you wont be able to swap out the RNAN and RECN files as you were stating without some editing of the hex. I believe they have pointers for the file RCGN file. Last time I tried that, the game ... bugged.

While I've not toyed with that yet, I'd imagine you could just edit the RCGN file so that all three frames are the same.

EDIT: For the record, you wont be able to swap out the RNAN and RECN files as you were stating without some editing of the hex. I believe they have pointers for the file RCGN file. Last time I tried that, the game ... bugged.

Dang it. Thank you for the advice though. I might try messing around in the hex editor myself to see what i can find out.