A little Gen 5 help

NekoSabrina

Yes, some of us still mess around with that.

I was a little bored and got to messing around with PokéGen, trying to create a rather crazy Pokémon one of my RP characters has. I kinda went crazy with it, but I don't know if I actually successfully created it (since I'm trying to find a way I can put it on a legit Gen 5 cartridge, preferably without some insane AR code that might break the game if I don't do it right).

Here's the basics of what it should be:

Species: Ditto

Name: メタモン (Metamon)

Level: 50

Ability: Impostor (there's no easy way to tell Pokégen to give it a Hidden Ability, so I just hoped for the best on this)

OT: マリアンヌ (Marianne)

Trainer ID: 25154 (there's a slight significance to that)

Stats: All 31 IVs, No EVs

Met: Faraway Land

...Now I may have set some other things (I did kinda consider this a self-made Event Pokémon) that could mess with whether it gets flagged as illegal or not (I don't really care about that so much, but the more legal I can get with it, the better). I just want to know if it actually worked and maybe get some hints from more experienced editors out there before I try to proceed further. The main reason I made this was to be able to gain access to Unity Tower and perform the Masuda Method without the use of the now defunct GTS.

(Edit: Updated the .pkm file)

Edited by NekoSabrina

Ability: Impostor (there's no easy way to tell Pokégen to give it a Hidden Ability, so I just hoped for the best on this)

Go to OT/Misc tab, set extra byte 66 (0x42) to 1.

Also you never have to worry about anything getting flagged as illegal, at least as long as you don't transfer to Gen. VI. The game doesn't care.

Okay, well it would have been nice if there was something that pointed that out. Noted and changed (on my end).

That just leaves me with how to get it on my actual carts (thankfully I have a Black ROM to use as a testing zone, so I can make sure I can get everything right before trying it for real).

Also seems I made it well enough to be stable. No glitches that I can tell from trying to use it in battle or storing it in the PC. Now I'm just wondering if it actually counts as a foreign Pokémon (for the aforementioned Masuda Method).

Edited by NekoSabrina

If you can't backup/restore save files from retail carts, or if you don't have access to a DS flashcard to trade it over, your only option is AR.

Well, I didn't want to brute-force AR it. I figured my options were probably either make a fake Mystery Gift (though I dunno how to do that) and use the AR that way or somehow find a way to make a dummy wireless connection between my emulator/comp and my DS (whether faking the normal wireless or somehow faking the GTS, which I think is possible) so I can trade it over from my rom.

Well, I didn't want to brute-force AR it. I figured my options were probably either make a fake Mystery Gift (though I dunno how to do that) and use the AR that way or somehow find a way to make a dummy wireless connection between my emulator/comp and my DS (whether faking the normal wireless or somehow faking the GTS, which I think is possible) so I can trade it over from my rom.

I think fakeGTS don't work, as they need to spoof real GTS, and with real GTS gone, that's a no go.

I don't think that there are emulators that can spoof a DS trade?

information on this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-emulator-to-ds-via-wifi-or-otherwise-possible.283954/

Well, I didn't want to do it as a direct edit (just making it appear in my party/box). I didn't want to accidentally overwrite something in my party or box or make the game glitch up if I didn't do everything exactly right. I figured it'd be safer to introduce it via either a trade (which is really hard to do at this point) or as a gift mon (though I don't know how to make my own Wonder Card to do that). Then I have some control over the situation.

Making a custom Mystery Gift isn't much of an issue, what's difficult is actually distributing it to your game. You would need a DS flashcard along with two DSes, and if you have those, then you would just be able to add it to a save file on flashcard and trade it over which would defeat the purpose.

If you have two games and at least two DSes, could always make a throwaway save file on a game you don't mind restarting, adding it to your game via AR, and trade it over. Otherwise, you don't have any other options.

Well I've used an AR before to give myself the Mystery Gifts for things before (the items needed to get access to Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus in D/P/Pt; Mew, Celebi, and the Shiny Legendary Beasts in HG/SS; Victini's Liberty Ticket, Meloetta, Keldeo, and Genesect in B/W), though those were pre-existing events that someone mined the data out of and had already processed them into AR codes (though I did have to splice the Genesect code together myself due to PokéGen's supposedly having shaky B2/W2 support). Never tried to make one from scratch before.

...also after doing a little research into GTS spoofs, ran across something called IR-GTS. Anyone familiar with that program and if it might work (or is it just kinda obsolete junk since the project seems to have been abandoned)?

Have you looked into AltWFC?

It seems I would be able to access it with DeSmuME, and you should be able to connect to it with your retail game since you have an Action Replay.

Then I'd just have to add the .pkm to a save and trade it to you over AltWFC.

I've got everything set up on my end. I can't guarantee it'll be stable enough to work, though, since I can't test it on my own.

Okay, I've been kinda sidetracked by other projects and things, plus the fact that my Black rom that I used for testing purposes was only at Accumula Town (so I had to go and get to Striaton and get a badge), but now I'm wondering.

Just how the heck do I get the emulator (and I do have DeSmuME for this) to get online to access AltWFC (or whatever other method I might try for this)? Is there a certain version that has online connectivity, or is it just something in the settings I haven't figured out yet? If I can get that to work, then I might be on my way to getting this whole thing sorted out.

You don't need to, because you have an Action Replay so you can just use the AR codes to disable ssl and use AltWFC on your actual DS.

(I assume you do have means to access Wi-Fi on your DS.)

Or I guess you could just set up the emulator for Wi-Fi access on your end and trade with yourself, but I honestly don't have the motivation to explain how to set everything up and where to get everything you'd need, so you would be on your own there.

Well that's kind of what I was hoping to do (somehow rig up a trade between the rom and the actual games, whether through a fake GTS or otherwise if at all possible). Just not sure how to pull that off. At least it sounds like it's possible, just complicated.

You will need to get DeSmuME_svn4219_wifi, along with firmware.bin, bios7.bin and bios9.bin (DS firmware and bios files.)

First of all, install WinPcap which I believe is required for this. You can get it here.

Put those three files in the Firmware folder for DeSmuME, then go to Config --> Emulation Settings. Check "Use external BIOS images" and "Use external firmware image." Point the emulator towards your firmware files just in case, although I think it may be reading them from the Firmware folder under the names 'firmware.bin', 'bios7.bin' and 'bios9.bin' by default anyway. I did it just in case, though.

Then you want to go to Config --> Wifi Settings, set it to Infrastructure, and select your Ethernet adapter.

You will then need a special firmware.dfc file for DeSmuME, otherwise you will more than likely get a 52000 error when attempting to connect to the Wi-Fi. You place that in the Battery folder. What this basically is is a save file for the firmware that contains user settings, Wi-Fi settings and Wi-Fi AP settings. I am not sure why it is needed, but I could not get the emulator to connect to Wi-Fi unless I had that firmware.dfc file made specifically for DeSmuME Wi-Fi.

In order to actually access AltWFC with your games, you will need to patch the rom you are using on emulator, and use an AR code on your retail game.

I recommend getting the rom of the same game which you have as your retail cartridge to make things simpler.

For your retail game, use WFCReplay. Drag and drop a rom of that game onto the program and it will generate an AR code for you to apply to your game. Start up the game with this code enabled, then go to your Wi-Fi settings, go to Options, "Erase Nintendo WFC Configuration" (?), then go back and set up a Wi-Fi connection as normal. You will have to go in that connection's settings and set the Primary DNS to 104.131.93.87

On the emulator's side, use WFCPatcher to patch the rom (you can also use the AR code instead of patching the rom, but patching is a lot more convenient.)

The firmware.dfc is already configured with the SoftAP which DeSmuME uses to connect to the Wi-Fi, so it should hopefully work out of the box. Should it not work, it might be worth going to your Wi-Fi settings, deleting the connection, and setting it up again from scratch. Again, you will need to set the connection's Primary DNS to 104.131.93.87

You should then be able to just directly connect the emulated game and your retail game together via Friend Code and using the Wi-Fi Union Room, or you can deposit it on the GTS and trade for it on your retail game.

If things don't work right for you, let me know what kind of errors you are getting, and I'll see if I can figure it out. Otherwise, like I said, I already have the emulator set up and working for Wi-Fi trading on my end, and I have a save file which has your Ditto on it, so you could just set up your retail game with the AR code and the DNS and I'll trade it over to you.

(Attached for your convenience is the binary for DeSmuME_svn4219_wifi, along with the firmware.dfc file which you may need for DeSmuME. The firmware.dfc should be fine for sharing since it pretty much is just a save file that only contains user settings and Wi-Fi settings, but if it isn't okay to share it here, feel free to remove the attachment.)

There may be other reasons why you would get connection errors, but this worked for me, so hopefully it does for you too.

I may be forgetting something, but I think this is all.

Well I've tried to put some things into effect, but I have run into one little snag so far coming from the emulator. I've got the bios, firmware, and even the wifi settings files, put them in the proper folders, and enabled the emulator to use the former (though the bios actually were rom files, but it didn't seem to matter to the emulator). However when I go into Wifi settings, Infrastructure is completely grayed out and won't let me select it (so the only option is Ad Hoc, which isn't getting me anywhere).

I wish this was a lot easier. Would have been nice if PokeGen had some kind of make-your-own-Wonder-Card setting or something...

(....And after trying to do some digging, it seems that it once DID have that ability, but it got removed for some reason...)

EDIT: And after trying WfcReplay on the rom (I test anything I'm not sure of on that before I try it on my carts), the code it generated made the game totally lock up, so that ain't gonna work either.

2ndEDIT: ...Well, one minor stroke of success. Needed to download that one other program to finally enable Infrastructure Mode on the emulator. That gets me somewhat closer. Managed to get it online, but now I need to make sure I get a working AR Code for my retail carts (since the one wfcreplay gave me made the rom crash, which means I can't trust it on the cart). I'm sure someone's made a list of those codes somewhere, but I haven't found it yet... (I doubt it's a unique code for every rom and cart)

Edited by NekoSabrina