Pokémon SunGold & Pokémon MoonSilver

walnut3072

PKM%20SunGold%20MoonSilver%20Logo_zpsz0ozzcxh.png

Pokémon SunGold & Pokémon MoonSilver

Info:

Base Rom: HeartGold & SoulSilver [uS]

Release Date: March 29th, 2016

The idea of making this hack started for several reasons. Several months ago, I completed Drayano’s Blaze Black 2, which is, honestly, the best Pokemon game I’ve ever played, and this made me wanna try out his other hack of HGSS. Thanks to MeroMero’s tutorial on adding the Fairy-type to HGSS, I was so inspired and started to think about making an expansion for Drayano’s famous hack Sacred Gold & Storm Silver in which I’d not only put in the Fairy-type, update the moves, but also introduce some of my ideas about new attacks, Pokemon changes and the more balance and fascinating new Type Chart. At first I thought I’d just make a mini hack with not so much changes for myself to enjoy as soon as possible, but as I progressed, new ideas kept popping up so I add them to the game. Today, when my hack had ended up with a significant amount of changes in Pokemon, Moves and the Type Match-Ups, I share it with anybody interested in returning to the nostalgic but also full-of-novelty Johto region.

Pokemon Changes:

The main point of all changes is to bring out the potential every Pokemon from rarely-used to over-used so that players can use their favorite Pokemon in tough battles. That also means, not only weaker Pokemon are made better (with reasonable stat boost, new moveset,…) the commonly-seen ones are given new abilities, moves or even type to create a fresher experience. Some notable type change include:

• Fairy-type Pokemon: Beside 20 Fairy pokemon in gen VI official game, there are additionally 13 suitable Pokemon receiving Fairy as their secondary type (e.g., Meganium, Mareep line, Milotic, Misdreavus, etc.).

• New Dragon-type Pokemon: Charizard, Onix, Steelix, Sceptile and Huntail.

• Other than that, some Pokemon have their type modified to match their appearance better (e.g., Gyarados – Water/Dragon, Seviper - Poison/Dark, etc.) and/or, hopefully, more competitively viable (e.g., Ledian – Bug/Fighting, Quilava & Typhlosion - Fire/Ground, Butterfree - Bug/Psychic, etc.).

Starters are now more competent with new abilities, moves and type changes such as Venusaur with Thick Fat, Blastoise with Drizzle, Feraligatr with Shed Skin, Sceptile with Adaptability, or the Water/Ice-type Empoleon with Snow Warning. However, to maintain the balance in game evolution level are raise to 25 for 2nd stage and 46 for final stage Pokemon, whose Lv-up rates are also changed to slow. I think it’s great to spend more time in game with the 1st and 2nd stage Pokemon.

All details are fully documented.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13083[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13087[/ATTACH]

Moves Changes:

There is a total of 157 moves receiving changes in this hack. Generally, there are 3 levels of change:

1. Slight adjustments in terms of power or accuracy.

2. More significant revamps such as type or category changes (e.g., Pay Day is now a special Steel-type move with 65 power while its ‘bonus-gold’ effect is still there). These moves are indicated in bold in the document.

• Rarely-used early status moves such as Tail Whip, Sand Attack, Smokescreen,… are now either special or physical damaging moves with their effects kept unchanged. Leer is now an early way to get items from wild Pokemon in the first routes since they may now hold some useful items.

• Sonic Boom, Peck, Power Whip now hits 3 times in a row with their power double after each hit.

3. And lastly, 30 moves have been totally tranformed into new ones with new effects, type and power (although their animations are not changed). These moves are indicated in red in the document. Some notable groups include:

• Draining Moves: Draining Kiss, Vampiric Bite, Vampiric Aura, Purification and Cold Embrace.

• Raise-all-stat Moves: Sacred Fire, Primal Light, Nature Grace and Lucky Break. All moves from this group (including Ancient Power, Silver Wind and Ominous Wind) have had their power and effect chance boosted to 72 and 20%, respectively. Lucky Break is the only move in this group having an increased priority and it’s only available to the Lv-up movesets of low-stat Pokemon.

• Cool-looking-but-rarely-used moves such as Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, Storm Blast, Fissure, Mist Ball,… have been greatly revamped for competitive use as well as distributed to the Lv-up moveset of many relevant Pokemon.

• Random Effect Moves (like Tri Attack): Dragon Breath, Void Vortex and Ghost Punch

• Gen 5 and 6 similar moves: PowerUpPunch, Volt Switch, Steam Shower (same as Scald), and some Fairy-type moves.

• And lastly, two ‘theme’ moves of this hack: Sunraze and Moonraze have also been distributed to the movesets of 29 suitable Pokemon.

Check out the Pokemon Changes document to see which Pokemon can learn these new moves. In-game move description texts have also been changed to match the new effects. All details are carefully documented.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13079[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13080[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13081[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13082[/ATTACH]

Type Match-Up Chart:

There is a total of 32 changes made in the type chart, which also has its own document. Overall, the idea is to, hopefully, further balance the game as much as I can while also considering the logical factor. Not all changes come from my personal experience. There are also ideas that I gathered from fans in many discussion threads and then selected the ones that make sense to put in the game.

For example, while I was never really aware that Ice has actually been a horrible defensive type, I found out tons of players want a buff for this type on the internet. Therefore, I started to think which type should I made to be ineffective against Ice. While some people think it should be Ground, I finally decided that Ice resists Flying and Dragon because this make more sense to me. Ice-type Pkm, who usually have thick fur and resists to the cold, should also be able to resists wind-based attacks, right? Next, to keep the balance, I need to give Flying another type that it’s super effective (s.e.) against. It must be Water, who’s already supposed to be overpowered since Water-type pokemon usually can learn powerful Ice-type moves while also resisting many types. Logically, in real life, birds eat not only plants but also fish, so if Flying’s s.e. against Grass, it should also be s.e. against Water.

Other worth-mentioning changes revolve around the Water type. Offensively, Water is now s.e. against Electric (water breaks electronics), and Poison (water dilutes chemical sustances); ineffective against Flying (‘waterproof’ feathers); and deals normal damage to Rock. Defensively, this type is now weak to Poison and Flying; and no longer resists Ice. In a word, Water is now s.e. against 4 types, ineffective against 4 types, weak to 4 types and resists 3 types.

Notable changes are from the Fairy type. Offensively, Fairy is now s.e. against Dark, Ghost and Dragon; deals normal damage to Fire, Fight and Poison; and is ineffective against Normal, Grass and itself. To explain, I wanna turn the Fairy type into something ‘holier’ or more ‘sanctified’ so that it’ll fit better with the new moves such as Primal Light and Purification. And since fairies are supposed to be good creatures who protect nature, this type should deal less damage to Grass, Normal and itself. To balance the game, Fighting is now weak to Ghost and no longer resists Bug; and Ghost Pokemon are no longer weak to Ghost-type moves.

Version Differences:

While both versions had all the changes and add-ons I mentioned above, there are still defferences. In SunGold, you’ll play with the followings:

• Original story of HGSS.

• Randomized Wild Encounter (with similar strength to the original so that it won’t break the game). However, I’ve modified it so that the Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh starters will appear at the first 3 areas in game, Route 29, 30, and 46, respectively. Isn’t this great for Nuzlocke Challenge?

• Gym Leaders and Elite Four now all have mix-typed teams with increased difficulty and adjusted level curve.

• Instant Text Speed

And MoonSilver can be regarded as an expansion of Sacred Gold & Storm Silver since it maintains most of Drayano’s scripts. However, there are changes including the followings:

• Most trainers and Leaders’ Pokemon now have their movesets updated with the new moves.

• Gym Leaders’ Pokemon’s levels are slightly adjusted to further reduce the gap with player’s Pokemon’s levels. Falkner and Whitney’s first team now has 4 and 5 Pokemon, respectively, instead of 6. Some trainers as well as Gym Leaders have been given new Pokemon in their team, especially those who received substantial enhancement like starters. For instance, Lance (or Clair, I don’t remember clearly), who has the full-dragon team, now has one of his Dragonairs replaced with Sceptile, a new Dragon-type in this game.

• The places where you received Kanto starters and Sinnoh starters by Quiz Masters have been swapped so that Piplup (Water/Ice-type) or Turwig (who now learns a rock-type move very early) can assists you in the battle with Falkner. There is also a slim chance that you’ll now encounter Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle in the morning/day/night at the very first place to catch wild pkm, route 29.

• Cynthia now gives you a Castform instead of an Eevee since I think having one of the eeveelutions (whose stats are too high for early game) would likely make the game less challenging. Don’t worry, you’ll still be gifted an Eevee later by Billy at Goldenrod City.

• A note for those who’re playing this version, when you’ve progressed to Route 43, where an additional event of Drayano (which is indeed very cool) about Team Rocket taking over the Safari Zone takes place, remember to save often since the game may crash at any moment. Other than that, I’ve never had that kinds of issue in this game.

Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B14JlYsxMtNqM1FGV0tlSHpiOUE&usp=sharing

Remember to patch them with clean HGSS [uS] rom.

Credits and Special Thanks:

:: Drayano for letting me use his hack as a base.

:: MeroMero for making the Fairy-type tutorial and helping me with the Fairy-type icon and solving errors.

:: JackHack for his useful tools.

And all the creators of PPRE and CrystalTiles.

Edited by walnut3072
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, however what I have to say is important for those that want to play this hack. The patches of this hack only work for a specific set of dumps. The patches do NOT work with the proper dumps of these games.

ROM Hash Information: (These dumps are what you need.)

Pokemon - HeartGold Version (USA)
CRC-32: ffd28f00
   MD4: 5ecb36804635edbed5405a999f8efe36
   MD5: ae2a483d0a5e8130d39f44f41a86df57
 SHA-1: 30793e274fb4c7ba070ae226edbdfe355504b1f5

Pokemon - SoulSilver Version (USA)
CRC-32: ebb387e7
   MD4: 340006c79e818d06cdea011c8bf143a7
   MD5: 545aa550bafeebdd71ee0256d4c122a0
 SHA-1: 0959fe9e64dc749382460f1ccf90996f5ef4088d