VC RGBY - Game Freak Mew (JP)

suloku

I didn't see a thread for this event, so I created one as I have some concerns. The only information I've found is from here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_event_Pok%C3%A9mon_distributions_in_Generation_I#Game_Freak_Mew

Also, we can see the following information here: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/VCAMAP/2ds/

There is shown original trainer, ID number and stats (I guess at 0 EV).

So my main concern is: is someone from this forums going to get one of these mews and upload the savefile just after receiving it? It would be great to have a gen 1 japanesse mew conserved. Ideally, having more than one of those distributed mews to see if all have the same IV values and ID would also be really helpful.

Something that I've noticed in the pictures are the stat values, which don't correspond to what I've found was the most common IV for all US distributed mew (10/1/12/5). Calculating the DVs gives a possible range from 10-15 for all stats (some combinations not possible due to HP DV calculation), from the looks of it, maybe it has perfect DVs (all 15).

Distribution will start this saturday, I'd really like to see one of these mews, even though we can't transfer them to USA/EUR games.

I might be wrong due to google translation, but I think this japanesse GF mew has perfect DVs:

http://gold.hatenadiary.jp/entry/2016/03/19/193237

That's quite something, given this mew can eventually reach gen 7. I really hope we can get confirmation for the DVs, since given the simple structure of gen 1 pokemon, that's all we would need to generate the pkm file for that japanesse mew.

EDIT: I've made some calculations, and I can only conclude that if the photo posted is from a legit GF Mew, it really has perfect DVs because:

1.- At level 5 it has stats 16 for all (possible dv range 10-15)

2.- At level 7 it has stats 21 for all

If the mew had a DV which value was 14, it would need at least 3266 experience points for the stat to be 21.

I might be off with the math, but getting those 3266 experience points and only gaining enough experience for 2 levels is near impossible, if not impossible (as I said, I didn't make all the math to prove it can't be possible).

So my conclusion is that those stats at level 7 can only be from a perfect DV mew.

ps: too bad the image won't show HP at level 7, since that would actually reinforce the strong enough suspicion of perfect IVs

It'll be best if the VC Mew can be contributed.

My friends are going to Japan soon, so I intend to pass them my Mew Ticket, so they can collect it for me in my stead.

That would be awesome!

It really seems to have perfect DVs, from the google translate from this other twit it seems he used 2 rare candies, so no experience points for the stats: https://twitter.com/terumi117/status/711020863856848896

The only problem could be the trash bytes for OT and Nickname, but given how those are stored, the trash bytes might be dependent on whatever was in the slot prior to trading the pokemon. I guess I could check in the english games and see what happens.

That would be awesome!

It really seems to have perfect DVs, from the google translate from this other twit it seems he used 2 rare candies, so no experience points for the stats: https://twitter.com/terumi117/status/711020863856848896

The only problem could be the trash bytes for OT and Nickname, but given how those are stored, the trash bytes might be dependent on whatever was in the slot prior to trading the pokemon. I guess I could check in the english games and see what happens.

Well, I don't think Eng games and Jpn games can have trades in Gen I, cause of how the roms were programmed.

I'll be getting my friend to redeem if on a JPN version of VC RED,

to at least retain the legitimacy/legality.

No, I meant that I would check what happens with the trash bytes on the international games (since locating the data in the save would be easier). Trading between jap and international supposedly corrupts both savegames.

I know this mew can never be transfered to international gen 1 games, only recreated as much, but we could transfer it to gen 7, which would be great.

No, I meant that I would check what happens with the trash bytes on the international games (since locating the data in the save would be easier). Trading between jap and international supposedly corrupts both savegames.

I know this mew can never be transfered to international gen 1 games, only recreated as much, but we could transfer it to gen 7, which would be great.

ah that makes sense.

Also, it having perfect DVs would be bad though, since that means it can't be shiny ><

ah that makes sense.

Also, it having perfect DVs would be bad though, since that means it can't be shiny ><

If the conversion 1->7 calculates shiny pid using gen 2 shiny determination, I guess not.

What I don't understand is why they made this mew perfect, while the paired Gamefreak mew for gen VI only has 3 perfect IVs (like all legendaries). It would make more sense for it to also be 6IV, as OT is the very same (ID included).

If the conversion 1->7 calculates shiny pid using gen 2 shiny determination, I guess not.

What I don't understand is why they made this mew perfect, while the paired Gamefreak mew for gen VI only has 3 perfect IVs (like all legendaries). It would make more sense for it to also be 6IV, as OT is the very same (ID included).

Yeah. I was hoping that the Mew would have random DVs, so that there's a chance of shiny.

Maybe they wanted to give uses the strongest Mew, so that users can beat the game easily (not that the game is hard to beat, plus the glitches all exist).

Slightly off-topic, but we do not know for sure how the DV -> IV conversion would be, so maybe the perfect DV would be nothing but a proximate range, and the values will be generated using the range at random, during conversion.

Anything can happen at this point.

#edit-addon

Also, I'm curious if they programmed any extra bytes for this Mew, so that it can be differentiated from the Mew from the Mew glitch,

thus stopping the importing of glitched Mews.

A simplest way I could think of, is to change the <encounter rate/gen II item> to a different value.

A simplest way I could think of, is to change the <encounter rate/gen II item> to a different value.

That would actually be quite clever, but I think either they restrict by OT+ID or OT+ID+DV. Even if hacked, such a mew would be the same they distributed.

We'll see when we get a save.

That would actually be quite clever, but I think either they restrict by OT+ID or OT+ID+DV. Even if hacked, such a mew would be the same they distributed.

We'll see when we get a save.

Then again, it is pretty simple to bypass.

One can easily hack ot-id-dv as well.

or glitch those results (through some elaborate convulated steps on the VC)

Yeap, we'll know when we get it.

Multiple copies of the mew should aid to reaching a confirmation

• 5 months later...

Since the Mew is Japanese, and Gen I games did not allow trading between languages,

The Mew is technically region locked.

The question is whether Pokebank is region locked when comes to using Gen I VC.

I have a Japanese 3DS and Pokebank subscription on it, so I'll probably contribute a PK7 when the time comes.

Since the Mew is Japanese, and Gen I games did not allow trading between languages,

The Mew is technically region locked.

The question is whether Pokebank is region locked when comes to using Gen I VC.

I have a Japanese 3DS and Pokebank subscription on it, so I'll probably contribute a PK7 when the time comes.

I actually have your save on my Japanese Green Pokemon 2DS, i've downloaded Pokebank, however never used it. I was hoping i'd still be able to get a trial of it when Sun / Moon are out so I could import the Mew and some other Pokemon I have on JPN GEN 1.

It would be interesting to see if the Mew on GEN 7 is identical if we both imported it. I'm guessing a lot of data required in later generations will be randomly generated.

I have a Pokebank subscription on my PAL 3DS XL, as you say it's a question of if Pokebank will allow you to import from a JPN game on a PAL console, which is obviously normally not possible without CFW.

Also, slightly off topic. I presume the Mew you can get for GEN 6 from the 2DS consoles in Japan has been contributed? (I think it has from what I can see). If not i'm yet to redeem my code so could happily do so if not. I have Alpha Sapphire on my JPN 3DS with the in game language set to English.

I was hoping i'd still be able to get a trial of it when Sun / Moon are out so I could import the Mew and some other Pokemon I have on JPN GEN 1.

That is unlikely.

For the Pokebank service to connect to the server (as well as to install Poketransporter and for it to connect to server),

One needs the subscription, else it wouldn't connect.

It would be interesting to see if the Mew on GEN 7 is identical if we both imported it. I'm guessing a lot of data required in later generations will be randomly generated.

I was thinking that the IVs will likely be a random multiplier against the DVs,

and that the PID will be randomly generated.

It wouldn't be the first time they changed a PID of a pokemon;

When the Shiny formula was increased from 8/65536 to 16/65536 in Gen VI,

Pokemon that weren't shiny could have become shiny when imported based on such a calculation,

so they changed said Pokemon's PID, to prevent such an occurrence.

I have a Pokebank subscription on my PAL 3DS XL, as you say it's a question of if Pokebank will allow you to import from a JPN game on a PAL console, which is obviously normally not possible without CFW.

Pokebank will have access to saves, based on Game IDs,

so all the Game IDs for the VC games will likely be included (and Game IDs for VC of different languages differ),

question is whether will they hide the VC game's that are of different region behind a wall.

As you said, JPN VC on PAL console is normally not possible, so they might or might not block it, depending if whether they expect it from the beginning.

Also, slightly off topic. I presume the Mew you can get for GEN 6 from the 2DS consoles in Japan has been contributed? (I think it has from what I can see). If not i'm yet to redeem my code so could happily do so if not. I have Alpha Sapphire on my JPN 3DS with the in game language set to English.

All of GEN 6 Mews has been contributed, so not to worry!

One of the first things I'll do when we are able to dump pk7 files is get a gen 1 pokemon, clone it 20-30 times and transfer to pk7, see if it's allways generated the very same way.

I wish they use an algorythm that doesn't randomly generate anything, but rather generates the data by looking at other data present in the pokemon. And in fact, the japanesse Mew is perfect, it would be strange that all those perfect mew clones in japanese 3DS VC games suddenly became not perfect and different from each other. The fact that in Sun & Moon you can make any pokemon have perfect IVs makes me think they will allow this mew to have perfect IVs when transfered.

We'll see when it happens...

Exactly my thoughs. I don't think it will be an issue though, why bother implementing region locking on pokebank when the app itself is the same for all regions and the VC games are supposed to be already region locked? It works by title ID, showing all compatible installed titles (like phbank actually), so my bet is on all VC games working.

If nintendo wanted to, they could add some kind of check at e-shop startup for out of region titles installed in the console and punish that behavior, but they haven't done anything about this, so I don't think they'll bother.

Yes it was.

• 1 month later...

So I was reading through this and I was wondering... for the people who have a Japanese console couldn't they transfer to pokebank on their console and trade it from sun/moon to international copy as why would they announce such a feature if it was only for America/Europe? As you said the roms save differently well that would mean all pokemon not just mew be unavailable for pokebank so trading to it must alter the pokemon file some way to make it region free.. sorry if this wrong but just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by scottishdanstfu

34 minutes ago, scottishdanstfu said:

for the people who have a Japanese console couldn't they transfer to pokebank on their console and trade it from sun/moon to international copy as why would they announce such a feature if it was only for America/Europe?

As you said the roms save differently well that would mean all pokemon not just mew be unavailable for pokebank so trading to it must alter the pokemon file some way to make it region free.. sorry if this wrong but just thought I'd mention it.

Sorry what? That entire paragraph felt fragmented to me; I found it hard to understand.

So I'll trim it down and focus on this one statement:

34 minutes ago, scottishdanstfu said:

As you said the roms save differently well that would mean all pokemon not just mew be unavailable for pokebank so trading to it must alter the pokemon file some way to make it region free.. sorry if this wrong but just thought I'd mention it.

Let's see:
Gen I and II games trading are not region free.
To be more specific, back then regions were likely only differentiated only via the language of the game.
To my understanding, European language games are able to trade among one another,
But one can't trade between European and Japanese, or vice versa.
(to be precise, I think the games can connect, but it could lead to corruption)

For 3DS VC, they upped the ante, and language locked the games altogether.
Japanese game wireless connection would not even pick up a English game.
(However, installing a Japanese Red on US console to collect the Mew totally worked, as done by my friend who helped with my contribution)

Now,
If you were concerned about Pokebank's support, I'll say there's no need to be.

VC Games have different Title IDs across the different languages,
so Pokebank can simply read the save using the correct save offsets for those Title IDs.

Hopefully, these answers cover your concerns.

EDIT:
In case you were worried about the region locking I mentioned in earlier posts,
I was talking about how it would affect people who installed a Japanese Pokemon on US console.

People who installs their games normally won't be affected.

• Like 1

Let's see:
Gen I and II games trading are not region free.
To be more specific, back then regions were likely only differentiated only via the language of the game.
To my understanding, European language games are able to trade among one another,
But one can't trade between European and Japanese, or vice versa.
(to be precise, I think the games can connect, but it could lead to corruption)

For 3DS VC, they upped the ante, and language locked the games altogether.
Japanese game wireless connection would not even pick up a English game.
(However, installing a Japanese Red on US console to collect the Mew totally worked, as done by my friend who helped with my contribution)

Now,
If you were concerned about Pokebank's support, I'll say there's no need to be.
VC Games have different Title IDs across the different languages,
so Pokebank can simply read the save using the correct save offsets for those Title IDs.

Hopefully, these answers cover your concerns.
EDIT:
In case you were worried about the region locking I mentioned in earlier posts,
I was talking about how it would affect people who installed a Japanese Pokemon on US console.

People who installs their games normally won't be affected.

Oh I'm sorry for the fragmented reply what I meant was to get the Mew from the Japanese console to the international version for the event Contribution... so we can at least inject the legit pokemon into our saves.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, scottishdanstfu said:

Oh I'm sorry for the fragmented reply what I meant was to get the Mew from the Japanese console to the international version for the event Contribution... so we can at least inject the legit pokemon into our saves.

yeah all we needed was someone with a Japanese console AND the Mew to transfer it to Sun and Moon then extract the pk7.

And that's something I intend to do.

• Like 1

yeah all we needed was someone with a Japanese console AND the Mew to transfer it to Sun and Moon then extract the pk7.

And that's something I intend to do.

Can't wait! Trying to get into event collecting again but there's so much to get and some still needing discovery.

Just now, scottishdanstfu said:

Can't wait! Trying to get into event collecting again but there's so much to get and some still needing discovery.

I'll say a great way to start is to stay connected to different sources of news,
attend as many events as possible.

Granted, my country doesn't really get events, and when we do, it's usually a rehash of others (though we do get some interesting ones),
so it's makes the experience overall enjoyable and pleasant!

I'll say a great way to start is to stay connected to different sources of news,

attend as many events as possible.

Granted, my country doesn't really get events, and when we do, it's usually a rehash of others (though we do get some interesting ones),

so it's makes the experience overall enjoyable and pleasant!

I take it your from the UK... I am too aha yeah I hate that they rehash old ones but my first event I had ever been to was sun and moon release so I got the vc mew from there. I'm just trying to find the time to do the other ones like link pokemon gen 6 and 7's.

:)