[GEN 3] Mystery Event/Gift Research

Yes, that's true. Thanks for pointing this out.

You already would have to alter the code anyway...

So the Wonder Card wouldn't be the same as the original one anymore.

Also have in mind that if a card is distributable, once you share it it's going to be distibutable and on the other save...
Yes, that's true. Thanks for pointing this out.

You already would have to alter the code anyway...

So the Wonder Card wouldn't be the same as the original one anymore.

With how limited these events were originally and the lack of a Gen 3 Distro ROM, I don't have any problem with that.

Edited by Invader TAK

When i was checking the asm code few days ago trying to figure out the wonder card checksum, I kept a note about few lines of code that where validating some bytes just above the wonder card data using the same algorithm. Last weekend i revisit that part of asm code and i found that it was checking for bytes "06 00 00" before do the actual checksum validation of the data (similar to the delivery man script).

So after some trial and error we now have wonder news:

Wonder_News2.pngWonder_News1.png

So here are the details:

Wonder News data start at 0x2a0 and ends just before the checksum of the wonder card (444 bytes in total).

It uses the same checksum calculation algorithm as Wonder Cards.

Header is 06 00 00 XX where XX the color of the card (01-Crystal, 02-Red, 03-Green, 04-Blue, 05-yellow, 06-Gold, 07-Silver, anything else - Yellow 1)

All the other bytes are the text.

There is nothing special about it. It's just some text. Another piece of puzzle is now in place... :)

When i was checking the asm code few days ago trying to figure out the wonder card checksum, I kept a note about few lines of code that where validating some bytes just above the wonder card data using the same algorithm. Last weekend i revisit that part of asm code and i found that it was checking for bytes "06 00 00" before do the actual checksum validation of the data (similar to the delivery man script).

So after some trial and error we now have wonder news:

Wonder_News2.pngWonder_News1.png

So here are the details:

Wonder News data start at 0x2a0 and ends just before the checksum of the wonder card (444 bytes in total).

It uses the same checksum calculation algorithm as Wonder Cards.

Header is 06 00 00 XX where XX the color of the card (01-Crystal, 02-Red, 03-Green, 04-Blue, 05-yellow, 06-Gold, 07-Silver, anything else - Yellow 1)

All the other bytes are the text.

There is nothing special about it. It's just some text. Another piece of puzzle is now in place... :)

So can we attach Wonder News to Wonder Cards or is it still its own thing? Either way, it's cool you figured it out.

It's just incredible that we could solve the mystery about the Wonder News as well!

With this we may have solved one of the last mysteries hidden in Gen 3.

Well done!

So can we attach Wonder News to Wonder Cards or is it still its own thing? Either way, it's cool you figured it out.

I have test it on a save file that already contain wonder card on it. I think is totally separate. So you can have only wonder news, only wonder card or both... I have to test this later today, but i think that this is the case.

It's is own thing.

You could receive Wonder News via Joyspot, similar like the Wonder Cards...

It was only used in Japan from what I know. :)

Would be interested to know if Wonder News can be shareable.

Could you test this, lostaddict?

It's is own thing.

Wouldn't be as useful as sharable Wonder Cards, but interesting nonetheless.

It's is own thing.

I can do further tests once I get back home. But I'm 80% sure that there is no share option (even if when you choose receive, you have the "friend" option like the wonder cards).

Except from the first 4 bytes all the others are used for text. The first 3 bytes are there to identify the Wonder News and the other one is for color (I have tried several values and if you put anything out of the rage of 1-8 it displayed the default yellow card). I'm not sure if there are some bytes at the end that can be used for activating the sharing option...

@lostaddict: How about the Trainer Card/Room Event? Anything new about this?

That was easy. Still not sure what use we can get out of it, but at least the option's there.

People could create and share messages with this. :D

Nothing big, but it's just too cool to enable all of these features.

I think it's very interesting to think about how this could have been used.

To Bad we don't have any Japanese save file with Wonder News :-/

Yes, indeed. Might be impossible to find these...

But I think even if someone documented which News were distributed would be enough to reconstruct them.

I will research and look if I can find someone who did that or of I can find more pictures, but I fear chances are very low...

Until now we know only 2 releases of these Wonder News.

@lostaddict: How about the Trainer Card/Room Event? Anything new about this?

Not much to share at the moment. I was managed to create a trainer with some basic staff changed (name, pokemons, appearance, etc).

The problem is that there are a lot of bytes to be changed in order to fully recreate the trainer (188 bytes). Since I'm doing this manually at the moment, it's a lot of work...

So i decide to leave it for the moment until the time comes to implement this functionality in the tool. Once I will able to create the trainer data using the tool, i can very easily experiment with it :)

I know exactly what each byte does (this is very well documented from previous researches) so it will not be a problem. Also the proof of concept was done so it's just a matter of implementation...

What is really interesting to test next, is if there is a way to create cards that distribute event pokemons, using a custom script. My initial research indicates that there are not enough available functions to fully cover this functionality (the givepokemon function is too limited), but for sure some basic staff are possible (delivered a pokemon at x level with certain moves maybe)

This stuff is really confusing, are the e-Cards even part of this Mystery Gift Event?

From my understanding the e-Reader function and Mystery Gifts are 2 completely different things.

And from what I know the Event includes only the Trainer Room in Sootopolis City or Sevii Island 7.

We should better not mix things up...

I can help you later with studying the password system.

There was a Tool Takasan made for the Trainer Room in Sootopolis City. (Emerald only)

But I haven't checked it out yet, so I dunno if it has to with this...

I mean it's no problem if we work on other things, too.

And I'm very interested in enabling other Events...

Without new save files and informations there is not much to do for me in the moment anyway...

As a matter of fact I'm currently working on enabling the Eon Ticket Mystery Event in Emerald. :)

And here is the first result:

Eon Ticket - Emerald 1.png

Eon Ticket - Emerald 2.png

Eon Ticket - Emerald 3.png

Eon Ticket - Emerald 4.png

Eon Ticket - Emerald 5.png

Eon Ticket - Emerald 6.png

EDIT:

This Eon Ticket should be sendable via record mixing. But I haven't tested this out yet...

583dd06139063_EonTicket-Emerald1.png.bd1

583dd06156ee9_EonTicket-Emerald2.png.649

583dd06182e1f_EonTicket-Emerald3.png.66f

583dd061c0832_EonTicket-Emerald4.png.877

583dd061e269a_EonTicket-Emerald5.png.59f

583dd06216302_EonTicket-Emerald6.png.11f

Edited by ajxpkm

All the e-reader functionality can be implemented as a custom mystery gift events (EON Ticket, Regi Dolls, Trainers and Berries). It's not the official way but it can be done. That is why is under the "Custom Events" category...

The only e-reader event that was initially planned to be worked with the Mystery Gift seems to be the Trainer Battles... This was supposed to use the password system that we don't know how it works.

Edit: I think Takasan tool does the exact same thing as Morfeo AR Code does and the same one as the one I have recreated. It's the mystery gift battle card script with the e-reader code injected at the same time...

Ahh... I see... interesting to know.

Thanks for this information...

Yeah, maybe that's why it's called "Trainer Card"-Event... hehe...

Because of "e-Cards" or so...

A bit sad that that we can't solve the password part.

At least I don't know an efficient way to do this.

EDIT:

I did some Rom Research and I think I finally understand now what you meant before...

I realized that the word the 2F Pokémon Center guy tells you to use in the questionnaire is there.

In the Japanese default Script he says:

「すごい トレーナ

くれ くれ」

While in the English Versions it's:

“GIVE ME

AWESOME TRAINER”

But there's no effect when you use this in the PokéMart survey.

Possibly the Script is incomplete, there seems stuff missing for it.

Can't even see where the Trainer Data should coming from.

Even if a Wireless Adapter is attached, nothing happens.

edit:

Damn, you already explained this, I should have read your posts more closely. xD

Edited by ajxpkm

This stuff is really confusing, are the e-Cards even part of this Mystery Gift Event?

From my understanding the e-Reader function and Mystery Gifts are 2 completely different things.

And from what I know the Event includes only the Trainer Room in Sootopolis City or Sevii Island 7.

We should better not mix things up...

I can help you later with studying the password system.

There was a Tool Takasan made for the Trainer Room in Sootopolis City. (Emerald only)

But I haven't checked it out yet, so I dunno if it has to with this...

I mean it's no problem if we work on other things, too.

And I'm very interested in enabling other Events...

Without new save files and informations there is not much to do for me in the moment anyway...

As a matter of fact I'm currently working on enabling the Eon Ticket Mystery Event in Emerald. :)

And here is the first result:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12610[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12611[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12612[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12613[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12614[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12615[/ATTACH]

EDIT:

This Eon Ticket should be sendable via record mixing. But I haven't tested this out yet...

Since the Eon Ticket did get a distribution for Emerald in Japan, I'm wondering how it was done. I'm guessing Mystery Events considering Japanese Emerald still has that option, the fact the archived news page also mentions Ruby and Sapphire and the lack of an official Eon Ticket Wonder Card.

Yes, it was transferred via the Mystery Event System, same as for Ruby & Sapphire.

In Emerald you receive the Ticket from the Deliveryman at Pokémon Center 2F.

While in Ruby & Sapphire you receive the Ticket from the Father in the Petalburg City Arena.

By the way... Sending the Eon Ticket via Record Mixing works as it should. :)

Record Mixing - Eon Ticket.png

The Player who has the Eon Ticket has to be Player 1.

Player 2 (if connected even 3 and 4) gets the Ticket and the flag for the Event will be activated automatically.

I used Emerald and Ruby for this test to see if it works between all games.

EDIT:

I messed around with the feature, it's pretty funny. :D

Basically any item can be send via mixing records, but if you try other Tickets the flag for their respective Events would have to be modified manually.

So the Eon Ticket is a really special case for this.

The number of times an item can be send can be be modified as well.

It goes up to 255 times.

583dd062794d6_RecordMixing-EonTicket.png

Edited by ajxpkm

Yes, it was transferred via the Mystery Event System, same as for Ruby & Sapphire.

In Emerald you receive the Ticket from the Deliveryman at Pokémon Center 2F.

While in Ruby & Sapphire you receive the Ticket from the Father in the Petalburg City Arena.

By the way... Sending the Eon Ticket via Record Mixing works as it should. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12618[/ATTACH]

The Player who has the Eon Ticket has to be Player 1.

Player 2 (if connected even 3 and 4) gets the Ticket and the flag for the Event will be activated automatically.

I used Emerald and Ruby for this test to see if it works between all games.

EDIT:

I messed around with the feature, it's pretty funny. :D

Basically any item can be send via mixing records, but if you try other Tickets the flag for their respective Events would have to be modified manually.

So the Eon Ticket is a really special case for this.

The number of times an item can be send can be be modified as well.

It goes up to 255 times.

I knew all that. I have an e-Reader and three Eon Ticket cards (two legit and one I printed on photo paper). I also figured the max amount you can send by mixing records was 255 because of MORFEO's cheats.