[GEN 3] Mystery Event/Gift Research

Good News! It seems I was wrong. It looks like have the Promotional Cards all in my collection. :)

The Regi Doll Card is also there.

Edit:

You were faster. xD

Hehe, I uploaded those :P

Just realized I put the actual rom of the eReader in there by accident, I should probably remove it.

Also I don't know if these Japanese cards are really valuable to us, since they're just trainers. Unless you wanted to include trainer cards into your program. Which come to think of it would be really cool.

Hehe, I uploaded those :P

Just realized I put the actual rom of the eReader in there by accident, I should probably remove it.

Also I don't know if these Japanese cards are really valuable to us, since they're just trainers. Unless you wanted to include trainer cards into your program. Which come to think of it would be really cool.

Anyway it's over there now.

We would like to create an Trainer Editor.

So they could be pretty useful. Also we could make those Japanese exclusive e-Card Trainers available for the other languages.

So guys, this is the exact data that gets injected into the save file by using the e-cards! I extracted them months ago.

Berry e-Cards will additionally set variable 0x402D to 1 so you could get the Berry from Norman. The script for that is not included in the Berries, this is already in the ROM.

Even though this script exists and is working in Emerald, I wasn't able to find where the Berry data should go.

Save Offsets

[b]Berries[/b]
Section 4
RS 	0x2E0
E	unknown

[b]Trainers[/b]
Section 0
RS	0x498
E	0xBEC
FRLG	0x4A0

RAM Offsets

[b]Berries[/b]
EU/US
RS	0x02028894
E	unknown

JP
RS	0x020285F4
E	unknwon

[b]Trainers[/b]
EU/US
RS	0x0202533C
E	0x02025640
FRLG	0x02024A28

JP
RS	0x0202509C
E	0x020252E4
FRLG	0x02024988

Weird, as soon as I re-uploaded it with the rom removed from the .zip, the file got taken down?

Eh, easier to just upload it here instead.

Just for clarification, I didn't dump those myself, I found them online a while ago and downloaded them, then figured I'd mirror them over on Filetrip so that they would at least remain available there.

I don't really remember where I found them from, so I wouldn't be able to give credit to the proper people.

Not sure how useful it is to bother with it since everything may already be in BlackShark's post, but might as well just in case.

I seem to be stuck with the regi dolls promotional card.

I've tried using this emulator: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?42433-RELEASE-VBA-LINK-E-READER

E-reader raw code reading works. Cable linking works. But I don't seem to be able to transfer anything to japanesse ruby.

Here are some screenshots, if someone knows japanesse or can describe how to transfer the dolls:

Message after scanning the card: http://puu.sh/oEJpA/44e54bb529.png

After pressing A once: http://puu.sh/oEJq8/a857314ec3.png

After pressing A again: http://puu.sh/oEJqA/a3312fef80.png

I thought at the last screen I could connect trough mistery event (japanesse rom and save) to get the doll, but nothing happens.

BTW, I think I should go step by step, since trainer seems to be easier than berry. I'd also like to auto-detect japanesse saves...but this might be difficult.

First screen is just some promotional message thanking you for "applying to the campaign" for decorating your secret base.

The last two pictures are the same, was that on purpose? Either way, they pretty much just tell you to press the A button to send over the selected "goods" (decoration.)

Can you upload the e-Reader's .sav file with the Regi dolls saved to it? I can write it to my EZ4 with a rom of the Japanese e-Reader, and see if I can send it over to my Japanese copy of Sapphire. Could be an emulator error.

You may need to use GBA_BIOS and hold Start+Select while the game starts up, to enter multiboot mode.

Last screen was supposed to be this: http://puu.sh/oEJqA/a3312fef80.png

I messed up with the links.

I didn't think about the bootmode, that might be it! I can't upload the save because it doesn't seem to be stored as a save in the e-reader, or I don't know how to make it save to e-reader. I think it wasn't meant to be stored there.

BTW, I've noticed that trainer name in JAP is 5 characters + null terminator (0xFF), while USA/EUR are 7 characters + null terminator. That makes 0x08 in section 0 always 0x00 for japanesse saves and 0xFF for USA/EUR saves. Basically, I can autodetect the save region which is nice.

I've also added a function that enables the mistery gift and mistery event flags in the save for convenience... I'm missing the FRLG JAP mistery event flag though, I don't know it's offset and bit.

EDIT: also, enabling the flag in a non-jap emerald does not make the mistery event option appear.

Last screen tells you to connect both e-Reader and Ruby/Sapphire via link cable and then choose Mystery Events.

Did you make sure to have Ruby as P1 and the eReader as P2? Or maybe that thread was wrong, and e-Reader needs to be P1 while Ruby has to be P2.

If you can't upload a save file, then would you mind uploading the raw card? I asked for save file partially because I was too lazy to get the card myself and scan it in the emulator, but then it turns out I can't find the raw card either, lol.

If you need to figure out the Mystery Gift flag for Japanese FR/LG, I can save before activating Mystery Gift, and then save after activating it, and upload both save files here so you can compare and maybe figure out the offsets.

Here, if it can help. First is without Mystery Gift enabled, second is right afterwards, with Mystery Gift enabled.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, it doesn't get stored as a save file, so I can't really try it out on real hardware.

Can still try and get it working on emulator, though.

Even though the e-Reader doesn't store the Regi Dolls into the save file, you can actually store them there by save hacking.

Team Fail did this with his tool for e-Reader Trainers [GEN 3] e-Reader Event Injection

Basically you have to decompress the raw e-Card and extract the VPK from it. Unfortunately his tool doesn't support multi-strip VPKs so it can't be used for the Regi-Dolls.

I was able to do all that manually, I used his tool for checksum fixing though.

I attached the Japanese Berryfix as well. Both tested and working!

Oh? Well there you go, right after I posted that.

I'll give it a try.

Nevermind, can't get the save file to work with sram-patched rom for some reason. Works fine with any other game :/ or even other eReader saves (I did it with Eon Ticket a long time ago and it worked like a charm.)

It works fine in emulator.

What are we trying to do, anyway? What kind of info are we trying to gather?

Wasn't it said earlier that the Regi doll e-card just added them directly to your inventory? So if we want to re-create that with this mystery gift tool, we can just have it add the dolls to your inventory directly and wouldn't it have the same effect?

Oh? Well there you go, right after I posted that.

I'll give it a try.

Nevermind, can't get the save file to work with sram-patched rom for some reason. Works fine with any other game :/ or even other eReader saves (I did it with Eon Ticket a long time ago and it worked like a charm.)

It works fine in emulator.

What are we trying to do, anyway? What kind of info are we trying to gather?

Wasn't it said earlier that the Regi doll e-card just added them directly to your inventory? So if we want to re-create that with this mystery gift tool, we can just have it add the dolls to your inventory directly and wouldn't it have the same effect?

I think one of the goals is to release converted dot codes of the Japan-only cards for English, Spanish, French, German and Italian games that can be scanned on an English e-Reader.

Blackshark, are those saves for e-reader? You manually mixed both raw codes into a single vpk for the e-reader? That's great!

Also, any word about how to view/edit/decompile/recompile scripts?

Last screen tells you to connect both e-Reader and Ruby/Sapphire via link cable and then choose Mystery Events.

Did you make sure to have Ruby as P1 and the eReader as P2?

That was the problem... I feel stupid. I think I've used eon ticket with ereader as P1 though.

Transfering a regi doll adds a single byte to section 3 0x807. It is probably the decoration inventory, which seems to start at 0x804 and might be 52 bytes long. Gonna do a couple tests. Time to add a checksum fixing button to the tool.

Also, thanks for the saves, I'll try locating the flag. Should be near mistery gift. But the flag I'm missing is mistery event (link cable), not mistery gift (wifi).

I'm pretty sure that Mystery Event is only in R/S, isn't it? And Japanese Emerald.

Or do I need to have advanced to a certain point into the game before I can enter the Mystery Event phrase, like in R/S? Because when I tried it, it had no effect.

I'm pretty sure that Mystery Event is only in R/S, isn't it? And Japanese Emerald.

Or do I need to have advanced to a certain point into the game before I can enter the Mystery Event phrase, like in R/S? Because when I tried it, it had no effect.

I think it is only R/S/(jp)E

Blackshark, are those saves for e-reader? You manually mixed both raw codes into a single vpk for the e-reader? That's great!

That was the problem... I feel stupid. I think I've used eon ticket with ereader as P1 though.

Transfering a regi doll adds a single byte to section 3 0x807. It is probably the decoration inventory, which seems to start at 0x804 and might be 52 bytes long. Gonna do a couple tests. Time to add a checksum fixing button to the tool.

Also, thanks for the saves, I'll try locating the flag. Should be near mistery gift. But the flag I'm missing is mistery event (link cable), not mistery gift (wifi).

When will your tool be released ?

In the Japanese games, the Mystery Gift system defaults to an e-Reader mode, but it changes to a Wireless Adapter mode if the Wireless Adapter is connected.

Bulbapedia on Mystery Gift.

I've also added a function that enables the mistery gift and mistery event flags in the save for convenience... I'm missing the FRLG JAP mistery event flag though, I don't know it's offset and bit.

EDIT: also, enabling the flag in a non-jap emerald does not make the mistery event option appear.

Mystery Event does not exist in non-Japanese Emerald, so it would not appear, yeah.

In Japanese Emerald, the Mystery Event menu option is disabled and is replaced with Mystery Gift once you enable Mystery Gift, if you have Wireless Adapter connected.

But aren't there battle e-cards for Fire Red and Leaf Green? That would require mistery event, not mistery gift:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Battle_e_FireRed_%26_LeafGreen

There are, but they use e-reader mode of Mystery Gift which is enabled by default when the Wireless Adapter is not connected.

Yes, the saves are for the e-Reader. I put together both VPKs to a single one and recreated the name which is shown in the main menu since that's not part of the VPK.

Sorry, I can't help much with scripting. Script Editors like PKSV should be able to compile/decompile, but that only works for scripts that are inside the ROM.

If you are talking about the Eon Ticket script, I didn't decompile it. It was posted by someone else earlier, I just couldn't find the post but I had it saved, so I just posted it again.

Blackshark: ok, I guess the easiest is to find a script in the rom that is at least 0x1000 and inject it there, then extract after using pskv.

There are, but they use e-reader mode of Mystery Gift which is enabled by default when the Wireless Adapter is not connected.

Maybe it's because I don't know japanesse.

In emerald (jap) there are two menu options. Does FRLG jap only have a single option that behaves differently depending on wireless adapter being plugged in? I see the same background as for wondercards while in RS and E mistery event has a black background.

If you enter the Mystery Gift menu on Japanese FR/LG without the eReader being connected, it will be in eReader mode, and the text on the menu reflects this.

gTqJHIx.jpg

(Also the game makes a check right after the title screen when Mystery Gift is enabled to see if Wireless Adapter is connected, which results in a really annoying half second of lag where the game just shows a grey screen. x.x similar to what happens whenever you enter a Pokémon Center.)