Gen 1 2 3 Pokemon Editor and Converter for Windows + Mac OS X

Metropolis

Sorry to bug you right again but I've got a serious issue with the latest version of the editor. For some reason it can't open my Emerald save file. When I open the file with your tool it asks me which game it is and when I choose Emerald the programme just completely quits without any error message whatsoever. I thought that it could be an issue related to the fact that I'm plyaing the German version of the game but then I started a game on my US copy and saved and it acts in the same way. What is weird is that the Legacy Edition of the Editor opens both save files flawlessly. Here's my save file of the US version of the game if it's any use for you:

Pokemon Emerald.sav

Pokemon Emerald.sav

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers, looking into it.

The file has different save index values to the .SAV files I have tested (across Ruby, Fire Red, Emerald). This may be a legit variation, or it may be a corruption, but either way, the program should have handled it by displaying an error message instead of crashing. If a file is loaded with invalid values such as "7" in the field for number of party Pokemon, the program will report the error with a message instead of crashing and that should happen here. It wasn't something I considered when writing the .SAV parser. Still investigating why this file is different and how the program can handle it - only the one value (for section 13) is different (0xff instead of a number in range 0 to 13 for block ID).

-----------

And opening the file in VBA I see a character Michael at the start of the game before receiving PokeBalls. It seems the game must do some initialisation of the save blocks that hasn't yet occurred for this game. Breaking that structure might do more harm than good, so best leave saves of this sort unsupported. had the game been a little further, e.g. first gym, I'd be concerned.

Valid files are unaffected by this. PokeTweet app would also crash given this file.

Edited by Metropolis

Hi, I'm using your tool since months and it's great, I never had any kind of problem so thank you.

But I wondered : is it possible that we can individually edit the tool to be compatible with some hacks wich have extended moves/pokémon/abilities ? It would be awesome !

Thank's in advance and thank you again for your great job !

Hi, I'm using your tool since months and it's great, I never had any kind of problem so thank you.

But I wondered : is it possible that we can individually edit the tool to be compatible with some hacks wich have extended moves/pokémon/abilities ? It would be awesome !

Thank's in advance and thank you again for your great job !

If these hacks change the offsets of where data is stored within the files, then a separate mode would have to be created for each of these hacks. This would be a lot of work for each variation and there is no certainty the offsets will not change when the designers release new versions of the hack. That and I've never played the hacks and wouldn't know where to start.

If there is a particularly popular hack and the offset/index data is known, then it would be simple enough for me to release a special branched version of the software that handled it but otherwise there are no plans for supporting such hacks.

Oh I understand but that's not exactly what I asked.

I meant it would be cool that you implement a feature (unless there's already one) which could allow any user of your tool (like me) to enter manually the offset of the mons/moves. Like a tool that has an INI file.

Does it make sense ? English is not my native language, so tell me if I'm not clear.

Oh I understand but that's not exactly what I asked.

I meant it would be cool that you implement a feature (unless there's already one) which could allow any user of your tool (like me) to enter manually the offset of the mons/moves. Like a tool that has an INI file.

Does it make sense ? English is not my native language, so tell me if I'm not clear.

Ah yes that does indeed. The program could open with default settings and export/import to a properties file. It's conceptually simple, but things like names of Pokemon and Moves would also be different. Hmm... I'm busy with other things unfortunately but thanks for the idea.

Ok I understand, no problem.

But if by any chance you have time to do that, the task could be more simple than input every single move one by one. Don't know if it could be that easy but I have an idea :

Implement a condition "if more than 354 moves; then name of move 355 = move 355, name of move 356 = move 356" and so on.. Same for the pokemon's name. I think Everyone could deal with it, since it would be the only save editor that support expanded hack.

As I said, just an idea, if you're too busy I understand, thank's for what you've already done :)

• 4 months later...

Is there ANY chance of getting the event Pokemon from THIS file:

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?14531-Pokemon-Crystal-Version-%28with-PCNY-event-Pokemon%29&highlight=pcny

as .pkms/"rips" in order to bump them forward into Gen III/beyond?

I am TRYING to "remake" them in PKHeX to the best of my ability, but having the REAL versions of a goodly number of these would be FANTASTIC! Any help is GREATLY appreciated and thanks in advance!

Okay, so .sav file opened, Boxes accessed appropriately. Now, other than the Tweet string, HOW THE BLAZES can I save the Pokemon as "data" I can access in another format!? Or, in other words, HOW can I get them into my Sapphire rom from the Crystal .sav? I am VERY confused by that...Is there an instruction manual and I just have teh dum? o_X

O.o HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY B*LLS! IT WORKS I JUST NEEDED TO CLICK ON THE INDIVIDUAL 'MONS IN THE BOX I HAD TEH DUM AND NOW IT APPEARS TO BE WORKING--STAY TUNED! (My apologies for the extreme enthusiasm, but I am SO EXCITED that this can work for realsies!)

So when I save the "PKM" files (pull down File-->Save As), they will NOT come up in PKHeX, rather I get an "Unsupported File Size 00000037" message. WHY!?

THIS is literally the ONLY step that's going wrong--is it my dum acting up again? :bidoof:

Reason I ask is the only file type option I get when I pull down to save is just "."/"all files". It WILL NOT come up as ".pkm" save filetype. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, especially to clear up if *I* am doing something wrong...

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm having a serious issue with this software.

I'm trying to port my crystal pokemon over to emerald. Crystal opens fine, but it simply will NOT open my Emerald sav file. When I click to open the emerald sav file nothing happens at all.

I've tried running it on a fresh sav file in another folder, this also did not work.

I seem to have encountered a small bug.

I was using this program simply as a save editor for my Red, and while messing with it I noticed it wouldn't show any of the pokemon in the current selected. PC box. Eg., if I was on Box 4, nothing shows up in Box 4 in the editor. If I use an old editor like PikaSav, they're there.

Edited by Deoxyz

Update with my problem -- I tried using an earlier version of this program (ver 1.2) and I got the "file not recognised" error when I tried to open my emerald sav file. I downloaded the twitch plays pokemon sav file and that works fine, so I'm not sure why my sav file pisses the software off so much... Do I need to be up to a certain point in the game to use this?

• 2 weeks later...

Help me: Upon using this app, I descovered a bug using all GBC Saves to edit. The Pokédex in GSC shows i have 248 Pokémon seen and caught, but using with RBY Shows 151 Pokémon Caught and also includes a Glitchy Pokémon (Farfetch'd In RB And Scyther in Yellow) but Zapdos is missing. Please include this issue on the list of bugs on this program for fixing! Thank You. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Maddarren:

The issue is fixed in the update 4.3, the links to Windows 32-bit and 64-bit exe files will download this update version. The Java bug is also fixed.

Any saves edited with corrupted Pokedex entries can easily by restored by opening in the latest version and ticking the boxes for the missing Pokemon or clicking Edit->Max.

ArtemiSerebii:

This is because PKX-Delta, the Gen 1 to 3 Editor, supports pkm files for generations 1 to 3. PKHex supports editing of gen 6 files only.

When I get chance I can add a Convert To Gen 6 option that will allow the pokemon to be injected into gen 6 saves.

So in my Crystal save file, I have a legitamate shiny Celebi. I'm aware of the fact that this is (So far) the only time shiny Celebi has ever been legitimately obtainable in Pokémon. Does anyone know if my Celebi will be passable from Gen 5 to Gen 6?

As the GS Ball was never legitimately available outside of Japan, I'm 99% sure the Celebi/game would have to be Japanese to be legit, unless there were random shiny Celebis given away during Celebi distros that we don't know about.

Regardless, since you can't legitimately transfer from Gen II to Gen III, a shiny Celebi will not pass the Poke Transporter to Gen VI.

As the GS Ball was never legitimately available outside of Japan, I'm 99% sure the Celebi/game would have to be Japanese to be legit, unless there were random shiny Celebis given away during Celebi distros that we don't know about.

Regardless, since you can't legitimately transfer from Gen II to Gen III, a shiny Celebi will not pass the Poke Transporter to Gen VI.

Hmm... That's a bummer. In that case, I may un-shiny it before transfering it to Gen 3. I kinda figured that'd be the case though. I may try cloning it and changing the name and OT to Japanese to see if it'll pass the Bank check that way.

As for how I obtained it, I used the Celebi Egg Glitch several times a few years ago because me and a group of guys at my LGS decided we eanted to playthrough GSC again. I was the only person in the group who was actually willing to put all the effort into the glitch, so I was our Celebi dealer.

I managed to hatch one of them shiny, and obviously I kept that one.

After you have everything needed for the glitch, it really is quite easy. I think people look at the prerequisites and decide it takes too much effort.

Hmm... That's a bummer. In that case, I may un-shiny it before transfering it to Gen 3. I kinda figured that'd be the case though. I may try cloning it and changing the name and OT to Japanese to see if it'll pass the Bank check that way.

As for how I obtained it, I used the Celebi Egg Glitch several times a few years ago because me and a group of guys at my LGS decided we eanted to playthrough GSC again. I was the only person in the group who was actually willing to put all the effort into the glitch, so I was our Celebi dealer.

I managed to hatch one of them shiny, and obviously I kept that one.

After you have everything needed for the glitch, it really is quite easy. I think people look at the prerequisites and decide it takes too much effort.

I'm 99% sure that even un-shinying or making it Japanese will not help it pass the Transporter hack check, because still, there is no legitimate way to transfer from Gen II to III. There's a slim but unlikely chance it will pass, because the hack filter isn't flawless, but I really doubt it.

If you want a legitimate Gen 3 Celebi, send me a PM and I'll send you a .pkm file.

I'm 99% sure that even un-shinying or making it Japanese will not help it pass the Transporter hack check, because still, there is no legitimate way to transfer from Gen II to III. There's a slim but unlikely chance it will pass, because the hack filter isn't flawless, but I really doubt it.

If you want a legitimate Gen 3 Celebi, send me a PM and I'll send you a .pkm file.

People have used this software to get 'Mons from Gen 2 to Gen 3, and have had them pass the Bank check numerous times. I'd think that, as far as a Celebi goes, I'd have to make the location of capture be a fateful encounter and event. If I'm right, that'd make it look like a legitamate Gen 3 Celebi, which I can then send all the way up to Gen 6.

I can't figure out why you'd think a non-shiny Celebi would be illegitimate in the Bank's eyes. It'd be no different than catching Mew in Gen 1 via the Mew Glitch and then sending it to Gen 3; You have to set thr location of capture as a fateful encounter at Faraway Island, and then it passes the Bank Check.

(Gen 1 / 2 to 3 via the Metropolis software, Gen 3 to 4 using Pal Park, Gen 4 to 5 using the Transfer Lab, amd Gen 5 to 6 using the Transporter).