Project Pokemon ROM Editor 2 (PPRE)

Project Pokemon ROM Editor 2 (PPRE)

Download:

Author: Alpha

Warning: Frozen binaries get released several times slower than source releases!

Downloads at bottom of post

PPRE is a multi-purpose ROM editing tool for altering Nintendo DS Pokemon games. The project was started originally to edit Pokemon Diamond and Pearl by SCV based off of Treeki's Nitro Explorer and loadingNOW's thenewpoketext. pichu2000 created a strong basis for the scripting capabilities that PPRE will always have. Alpha has added many new features to make PPRE as versatile as it is. PPRE is written in Python and makes use of PyQt for its GUI. Development was led by SCV and Alpha.

PPRE2 is a complete re-coring of PPRE. The original developers were still immature in their programming practices, so there is a lot of room to grow. The goal of PPRE2 is to provide a much better experience for ROM editing and to add many new features. Development is led by Alpha and open to the Project Pokemon community.

PPRE2 should be referred to as PPRE.

Requirements to run PPRE (Source Version):

• Python 2.6+ or Python 3.x
  • PyQt4
  • Git

Current Game Support:

• Diamond (US)
  • Pearl (US)
  • Platinum (US)
  • Heart Gold (US)
  • Soul Silver (US)
  • Black (US)
  • White (US)
  • Black 2 (US)
  • White 2 (US)

Current Editors (incomplete):

• Pokemon Editor (Read/Write)
  • Text Editor (RW)
  • Move Editor (RW)

How to setup and use:

1. Run setup.sh/setup.bat

Or

1a. Use git to fetch the rawdb dependency (`git submodule update`)

1b. Link rawdb/nds to nds (or copy it if your OS does not have link support)

2. Run ppre.py

3. Create a new project (File > New Project, and select your base ROM)

4. Name your project

5. Don't forget to save your project

6. Start Editing (Edit > Some editor)

7. Write your changes to a new ROM (File > Export)

Links to git repositories:

PPRE: https://github.com/PPAlpha/PPRE

RawDB: http://projectpokemon.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=rawdb.git

Edited by evandixon
Fixed broken download link

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, cool. I was wondering when the original darlings of Gen 4 would pick up the old hobby again. PPRE (version one) was such a nice tool, and really tought me so much when I first looked into this information. Knowing that it's a project that will continue to grow and evolve is rather exciting :)

You have no idea how long I've waited for this news. Hope this goes far.

I wouldn't expect much excitement or a lot of people interested yet tough. Most people stopped following DS hacking because nothing was happening for years, but this combined with Spiky's DS Map Editor will probably bring everyone back :)

Sorry to bother you guys but can you make a very "stupid-proof" guia to teach us how to get it working for those of us which no nothing of python? I tried following the steps but keeps closing after the run ppre.py saying something about "no module named pyqt4"

Thank you very much!!

So what normally happens is that I will take the entire source, and compile it into a .exe that can be run without the need for Python and PyQt4. However, the compile stage is something that I do not particularly enjoy because I have to find an operating system with Windows on it. I should have a release around a week or two from now when I work out some bugs from Black and White.

If you did still want to run it, you need PyQt4, which is downloadable from http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/download

Okay, for those of you who did not already know, I am one of the original pioneers of map editing. I was of the first to break the entire NSBMD and related formats. 3 years ago, I created several versions of a program called AlphaMap which allowed viewing and editing of maps in Pokemon games. I also created similar versions for non-pokemon models. I will not be releasing AlphaMap. However, I will be using chunks of it to create an intuitive map editor in PPRE.

Some pictures from after the release of HGSS and BW:

MAP-HG-450_.png

map_45.png

And a very old picture:

alphamap%20full.png

Okay, for those of you who did not already know, I am one of the original pioneers of map editing. I was of the first to break the entire NSBMD and related formats. 3 years ago, I created several versions of a program called AlphaMap which allowed viewing and editing of maps in Pokemon games. I also created similar versions for non-pokemon models. I will not be releasing AlphaMap. However, I will be using chunks of it to create an intuitive map editor in PPRE.

Some pictures from after the release of HGSS and BW:

MAP-HG-450_.png

map_45.png

And a very old picture:

alphamap%20full.png

Plz import a map editor to ppre 2 everybody gonna love you

Updated original post with first frozen binary release: http://projectpokemon.org/ppre/PPRE-2.2.0.zip

You people are going to have to live with silly bugs because I don't plan on going back to Windows for some time.

Bad news, I can't get the source file to work. I keep getting a syntax error when trying to open the files. Even downloading the required files doesn't fix this for me. I just hope you compress some of the features soon.

I would love to know what the Syntax Error is so that I can fix these things/offer help.

Had a play with it in HG. Awesome tool so far. Finally a tool to edit attacks.

Here are a few changes which would make it much better:

Text Find & Replace. Would make the text editor much easier to use for certain tasks.

Search for name. When you're searching for a Pokemon or attack it can take forever finding things beginning with common letters like S.

Apart from that though, awesome.

Edit: Also, if you edit a string of text, do you have to keep the total number of characters the same, or can you make it longer?

I have a problem I load the game and create me the folder and the backup but when go to Edit> Text , Pokemor or Move edtior dont do nothing why?

Im new in this of ROM hack

What game are you using? There is a known bug with White 2 that causes that.