Can't backup retail Black Version 2 save

Team Plasma N

Hi, so I've been trying to backup my retail Black Version 2 save using savegame manager. It worked fine when backing up Black and SoulSilver Versions, but however, at the part where it says "Take out the slot 1 flashcart and insert a game, press A when done", I take out the flashcart and put the game in, but then I get a black screen and the DS reboots itself. I'm using the smallftpd server that I used to backup my other saves and it was running. Also nothing was in the GBA slot so it wasn't in GBA mode. I'm using a DS Lite and an R4 (regular, with wood firmware). Is it even possible to backup retail Black2/White2 saves? I've attempted this quite a few times already and the DS keeps rebooting itself =/.

I'll have to look into that. Does Black 1 work immediately after Black 2 fails? What version of the tool are you using?

All I've done with mine is restore a save file onto White 2 using the NDS Backup adapter plus.

I tried it with Black Version 1, and I can still backup its save, Black2's still giving me trouble though. And I'm pretty sure using savegame manager version 0.2.4

I think your problem might be related to your method, I back up my saves with my R4i Save Dongle and it works fine with my White 2

This may be what we have to do now. Regardless of that fact, any other game works fine with the savegame manager. It's only the new Pokemon Black 2 that causes it to reset. Looks like PCI has foiled this method atleast.

I saw your vid and I've been reading the comments saying to use the newest savegame manager, but when I try the newest one, I just get a black screen =/. So somehow they were able to block off save file backup, but not ROM dumping ._. ?

Same here, I don't think it has anything to do with Savegame Manager. If you turn on the DS and load it without a game inside, then put in Pokemon Black 2 while it's still on, it resets there also. It's something they changed in the game. Really disappointing.

I was just sitting at the house while my Son is asleep thinking, and of course it's after I purchased an r4i save dongle, what if I made a save file on the game first then tried it? Wouldn't you know that it actually works now.... So stupid.

Lol, in my case I already had a save file I wanted to backup, not restore =/.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I had this problem also.

The way I got around it, was to insert a Pokemon Ruby cart just before putting in White 2. I don't know why it worked, but it did. I then removed the Ruby cart and it worked as normal.

Hope that helped!

OMG... It worked! I'm not sure why it does that, but it works! I inserted my Emerald then my Black2 and it didn't reset! Thank you so much :D !!!

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with SGM 0.3.0.RC1

Attempting to run it on DSTwo instantly makes the DS turn off, but it works fine on AceKard 2, CycloDS and even EZ-Flash IV.

Maybe there's a problem with the program that makes it automatically turn off the system under very specific conditions? Since it seems like certain problems randomly happens for some but doesn't happen for others.