Goon tounament- 2v2 UU Wi-Fi

Okay, so ground rules/explanations:

The host of the tournament generated eggs for it's participants and handed them out. Egg moves were included, no one would get screwed over by 2 Pokes with tons of common weaknesses, IVs would be similar across the board

And both of mine are Quirky, so I bet neutral natures are used for all.

That means I can't re-breed, change Pokes, etc...

Oh, other rules

• Sleep
  • Evasion
  • OHKO
  • Species
  • Focus Sash banned
  • Item Clause
  • Best two out of 3
  • Single Battle

I can re-EV train, move tutor, etc...Plat moves are available to me:

Spritomb w/ Choice Specs/Band/Scarf

Quirky

Pressure

252 HP/128 DEF/128 Sp DEF

- Trick

- Confuse Ray

- Icy Wind

- Will O Wisp

(before I go on, egg moves that I got were Shadowsneak and Pain Split).

Spiritomb is kind of setting up for it's partner. Trick away it's item, then attack as needed. Icy Wind serves the dual purpose of cutting it's speed and damaging. Will O Wisp helps me with physical hits. Confuse Ray helps me switch Octillery in.

Honestly, by the time I wake up tomorrow I might completely change my mind on what I want to do. Spiritomb has a lot of options.

I was also thinking of using the Macho Brace or some other horrible item instead of Choice. I'll look into this more tomorrow.

I was initially thinking of a Calm Mind Spiritomb. But in a battle with only 2 Pokemon, I don't think I'll have enough time to boost it's sp atk to a respectable level.

Octillery w/ Wise Glasses OR Life Orb

Quirky

Suction Cups

252 sp atk/252 HP/6 DEF

- Thunder Wave

- Ice Beam

- Surf

- Charge Beam

Octillery is a bit more straight forward. Thunder Wave in case I need to slow something down. Charge Beam almost necessary for +sp atk. Surf+Ice Beam round out the coverage.

Please, make any suggestions/modifications you'd like.

in general the mode 2 vs 2 doesn´t mean you only have two pokemon in your party, but that two of your six poekomn are battling alongside.

I don´t really understand those rules, are there two pokes you chose from a pool of 3, like in stadium?

It will be hard to make a good team.

I think Crobat will be a must have then.

I am 100% certain that the battle is 2 v 2, single battle. This community (Something Awful) likes to switch up tournaments between hyper competitive and gimmicks. This is a gimmick.

I'm not trying to make a well balanced team, because that's already made for me. I just get to decide the sets. And what I have to work with is...well, why I posted the thread :\

From the original thread:

* You will receive two random, paired, eggs out of a pool of pokemon with comparable stats.For the sake of being interesting, this will be a pool of UU pokemon. I will be choosing the possible pokemon according to fully evolved stats, movepool, and typing to make sure that no one gets stuck with a no-win situation or an unfair advantage. I will make sure all pokemon have the same IVs and a nature that they benefit from. All pokemon will be given egg moves and I'll try to pick stuff that doesn't suck. I'll also "pair off" pokemon so you don't get too screwed by typing. Everything will be generated to act and look as legit as a pokemon bred in game. My hope is to make this as fair as possible and cut down on the amount of rock-paper-scissors.

* You will have one week to raise the pokemon as you see fit. I figure this is enough time since we'll have an autolevel and all you'd need to do is EV train, give TMs, and evolve your pokemon.

* You get to keep your pokemon at the end of the tournament. Cause hey, who doesn't like free pokemon.

* If you are supposed to battle someone and do not at least check in within 2 days, you will be disqualified. If a particular match is being drawn out for too long, I reserve the right to disqualify whoever is making it difficult. Sorry, but this is to try and keep things fair to everyone else.

* Battles are 1 on 1, best 2 out of 3, and set to level 100 on wifi.

Clauses:

* Sleep clause (No putting both pokemon to sleep at the same time)

* Evasion clause (No double team or other evasion raising/lowering moves)

* Focus Sash is banned for this tournament

* Item clause (No using the same item on both pokemon)

* 1hko (No horn drill, sheer cold, ect)

* Species clause (lol)

octillery is a quite bad pokemon even in UU. You could try a crobat lead with the following moves Taunt, u-turn, brave bird, roost and a spirittomb with cm, dark pulse, rest sleep talk, with dark pulse chosen over shadow ball because its ability to hit everything in the game(exept for blissey with wonder guard =) )

You can stop any hazers, boosters or phazers with a taunting Crobat lead and pass to your spirittomb which will have a free turn to boost and then hit incoming phazers or hazers with a +1 darkpulse in order to weaken them continously until they have to rest.

Crobat will serve as a good revenger as well, and prevents most uu sweepers to set up,

Good luck

octillery is a quite bad pokemon even in UU. You could try a crobat lead with the following moves Taunt, u-turn, brave bird, roost and a spirittomb with cm, dark pulse, rest sleep talk, with dark pulse chosen over shadow ball because its ability to hit everything in the game(exept for blissey with wonder guard =) )

You can stop any hazers, boosters or phazers with a taunting Crobat lead and pass to your spirittomb which will have a free turn to boost and then hit incoming phazers or hazers with a +1 darkpulse in order to weaken them continously until they have to rest.

Crobat will serve as a good revenger as well, and prevents most uu sweepers to set up,

Good luck

He can't change pokemon (as stated in the OP).

Anyway, that combination seems a little (very) biased, seeing as Octillery is NU and has extremely below average stats.

Okay so knowing that Spiritomb and Octillery both have pathetically horrible speed, Trick Room is an extremely viable set, except neither pokemon learn it. What horrible luck.

Anyway, for Spiritomb, that set is all messed up. First of all, I'd like to point out that all your usable moves have less then 100% accuracy, which isn't good to start with. Secondly, even with two speed drops, Spiritomb is not going to outspeed much, so using a base 55 move with only 95% accuracy without even STAB is not the best idea in the world. As a lead set, trick in 2v2 is very effective, so you might consider this instead:

Trick / Pursuit / Pain Split / Sucker Punch would work nicely. The utility of the set is fairly obvious and effective; Trick your choice item, then if a switch is obvious, pursuit. Follow up with using and abusing Sucker Punch and Pain Split to the fullest to annoy your opponent as much as possible.

There's less synergy, but as a standalone, it will be much more effective.

Moving on to Octillery. I think, honestly, that to use Thunder Wave, you almost need to have 252 speed EVs. This will allow you to outspeed quite a few more threats after they are paralyzed. Past that, its a fine set.

As a final note, BE CAREFUL OF LANTURN. Extremely dangerous for your team, as nothing you have can effectively do anything to it. Except maybe Spiritomb.

if he cannot change any mons, what is the point of posting the team?

This team does not stand a chance against common uu mons, and trick room(lol?) wont help at all. Octillery still cannot take a hit, and spiritomb simply does not have the power to be a good tr sweeper.

Make spiritomb a cm rest talker, he might save your ass..

Same on Octillery. The bulk helped, but not much. Thunder Wave never got used due to bad prediction.

Spiritomb ended up being:

252 HP/128 DEF/128 Sp DEF (which ended up not helping at all)

Choice Scarf

Trick

Confuse Ray

Shadow Sneak

Will O Wisp

Up against Nidoking w/ Life Orb and Leftovers Lapras.

I tricked my Scarf onto Lapras both times, which was using a Toxic-Dive-Perison Song- Protect set. But through compelte luck, it Protected twice in a row

The second time I ended up kinda half assing it, but I got +2 sp atk on Octillery due to some decent prediction.

Anyway, tournament is over. I'd love to do something similar over here. Maybe soon.

(if you/anyone want to start a new thread about PP tournaments in the main Competitive forum, go for it)