Offline Pokemon Team Generator (Strategies and Moveset)

The_Lion

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was inspired by the original Pokemon team generator, so I decided to write this program, it's a bit of an upgrade. However, I did write the program from scratch and did not borrow any code from the original.

Okay, so my program can search for a Pokemon or team based on:

+ Primary or secondary typing

+ Region

+ Gender

+ Evolutionary stage

+ Competitive battling tier, according to this site

Don't just think of this program as just a generator, its also provides move-sets and strategies from Smogon. If you hover your mouse over the move-sets in the Strategy window, a new window with details about the attacks will appear. This window shows the move's:

+ Power

+ Accuracy

+ Type

+ Category

+ PP

+ and Description

My program also has update options, so when the tier change or new strategies get added, the program will up to date.

I wrote this program just for kicks, so I take no credit for the strategies/listing, all the credit goes to people at Smogon.

Here is the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?nzdrlymz2wz

And here are some pictures:

di-7127722932516.png

di-5127722934314.png

di-112773216844.png

di-912773216946.png

To run the program:

- extract the "dist" folder,

- double click on the file "Team_Generator.jar"

- Enjoy!

Here is the New PKMGenerator:

di-10128839139612.png

di-2128839141714.png

di-212883914260.png

di-15128839153610.png

di-1512883915438.png

di-14128839155316.png

di-15128839156115.png

di-1312883915693.png

If you want to download this version, it can be found here. Keep in mind it is a jar file, so you will need the java runtime environment to use it; however, most people already have this installed; if you don't, it can be found here.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by The_Lion

I haven't used the program, but from the screenshots, it's nice to see that someone else actually puts emphasis on appearance. It looks great. (There's still some slight misalignments that annoy me, but I'm pretty picky about that kind of thing in my own projects.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love the idea and the interface.

I absolutely hate the fact that the data is all based around Smogon's BS.

Therefore, the program is worthless to me.

If you want constructive feedback, something more down the lines of Metalkids' old program: Let's you search/sort by whatever and shows ALL moves a pokemon can learn, not what moves Smogon says you should have. And if you included a stat calculator, then people could actively see how different natures and IV spreads affect their stats and plan them themselves, rather than just brainlessly following what Smogon says is correct.

Of course the things I suggest would only be useful to people who have brains.

I mean no disrespect to you or your program. My only point is advice on how to make it less smogon-centered.

• 2 weeks later...

@Guested: I find it hilarious that most of the upper Smogon battlers don't follow the "BS". Gouki, Jumpman, and Husky have all stated NOT to follow their sets strictly. In fact, it is usually better to create your own, as the bulk of the crowd will use "Standard" sets, and as such, are far too easy to predict. Just sayin'.

With this in mind, an upgrade could be in order, simply to allow people freedom of choice. By all means keep the smogon sets in it, but allow for people to build custom sets if they wish to.

To tell you the truth, I'm sort of against this. While personally, it will give me the edge as a battler over everyone running CB Scizor, and while it could benefit the battling community by adding more users, user creativity will decrease by quite a bit. Masses will use this and that's several new sets that could have been, gone down the drain. While SMogon already has their own generator, it's not as powerful as this one.

I'm torn with it, if I had have had this program when I first started then I probably would have won a lot more and probably be a better battler now. However in saying that, a lot of sets I have made are, well biased I guess but in my opinion, pretty damn good, and thus they wouldn't have come to be.

I guess the problem is just that, really. Like everyone else has said, it only gives the popular sets more fame and quite openly disregards the use of anything else.

@ sebata's last post. Surely as battlers we should be making it HARDER to be uncreative. Because I know that if you've ever rated a team, you'll see that sets that shine from the norm are usually those that someone has put individual thought into and actively tested. Whereas a bunch of smogon copypasata generally looks full of holes, overdone and already countered before it was even made.

So I say make it harder to be uncreative, provoke creative thought and... well you know all that general stand up against the system hippy jazz.

In saying that though, I do really like the program, and I find some use out of it without it being counter productive, as I can add my own spin on the sets once I have taken them from the program. It just provides me a nice template instead of having to type and tick everything in; which is the program's initial goal any way I would assume.

I guess what I would add to the program if it was possible would be a way of colour coding moves that a pokemon can learn. I dunno, something like red being a reliable stab, moves that can be combined to form common combo attacks being coloured one way (for instance parafusion moves being coloured in yellow)... But that is a lot of unneeded work for what the program aims to do.

Why in god's name do I always make posts this big when it's not needed xD

It suggests Hidden Power! I will avoid it like the plague!

... in all honesty, I like how the interface looks, but I am not really enamored by the "standardized" sets suggested by Smogon. Okay, I guess "it works" but eventually, people will only think there is "one or few ways" to use a certain Pokemon... which is just disgusting. In fact, due to playing the metagame a lot, I completely forgot moves like Psychic existed. But I love the idea and all... but I puke on standardization. To be fair though, Smogon sets do work... but I only take them as suggestions rather than place EVs blindly like 252/252/6 spreads and two STAB moves, etc.

Of course. The head honchos over at Smogon recommend the same thing. The sets they provide are only a recommended template at best. Some sets, such as Sub Punch Breloom are without a doubt the best set for that Pokemon. Other Pokemon; however, can feel free to be creative. (Also Wraith, even if Smogon had never existed; then either A) Somebody else would standardize the game, or B) The game would have unwritten standards. Either way, Psychic wouldn't be a very viable move, as the metagame is Steel/Psychic/Dark.) Of course, you have to be careful when being creative. A Specs Gyarados will never work. (Is reflecting upon a time when somebody made a DDing Specs Gyarados set >.>)

I'm not suggesting Smogon should never exist. Smogon is a good website to help set certain guidelines and I do use it from time to time. They have good articles, have a damage calculator which is very useful, but it's just how people use it that bugs me. I'd be rich if I had a single unit of money for every time someone said "Smogon is always right" or the likes. I hate standardization in general... and it seems most people do that and always follow what they say. "X outclasses Y so don't ever use Y!" What if Y is my favorite Pokemon? If I had the right support, I'm sure I can make it work. I've done it a few times after all. Now okay, some Pokemon obviously won't work (Unown, Ditto, etc...) but stuff like, I don't know, Seaking. Seaking can be a beast if used properly, even if it requires more support than Gyarados. I never really liked that... I want to enjoy battling, there will be some gains and some losses, but there is nothing more satisfying than destroying your opponent with a Luvdisc or something. Standardization... yawn :/

Most of them don't even know why the EV spreads are made as such. Even in Wifi, I see everybody with Seismic Toss and Wish Blissey and I'm wondering where they even got that. Wish is a NY event, and Seismic Toss is a FRLG move tutor. Half the people out there don't even know that and just stick event moves on their Pokemon, hack it with the right Hidden Power, etc... it's rather frustrating.

What does bug me about Smogon is... for some Pokemon they don't care about, they put in "what works" and just stop there. Look at the article for Victreebel and Noctowl for example. They still did not put a viable physical Victreebel set in either... when it can easily abuse Sleep Powder/Leaf Blade/Sucker Punch/Return/Leaf Storm/Swords Dance/whatever... and their Opinion even states "SD Vicky can't work cuz it only has Razor Leaf and Return DURRR"... so some people won't even find out that it does have a physical potential. That page hasn't been edited since what, the DP times? Oh, now you ask me what a Victreebel is. Stop staring at Breloom for a second (no offense Breloom, you're cool) and look down... that pitcher plant there that always devoured James... yeah, that thing. Oh, it's outclassed by Leafeon? I don't remember Leafeon having a part Poison typing or a "reliable" Sleeping move or the ability to attack in the special side as well as the physical. People have to stop saying "X outclasses Y so Y should never be used...ever". It's getting really irritating. Noctowl... 252 HP/252 SpDef Calm nature... since it works. Erm, okay... what about, you know, maybe an attacking set? Or something else? Other stuff... Ninetales... 252/252/6 spreads lazily spread all over... Timid nature, yadda yadda yadda. No Imprison set? Imprison would be quite a useful tactic if you sneak in Hidden Power somewhere or whatnot. Okay, maybe not, Imprison would be better off on something like Gardevoir or Mismagius who have really good movepool. I don't know... just the lack of effort to the non-prominent Pokemon bothers me.

And for those who do worship Smogon... there are times where it can make mistakes... just like anybody else. Yes, they can make mistakes in their analysis pages... and I'm surprised people never caught it until much later. There was this one set for a lead Deoxys-A, with Naive nature running 252 SpA/252 Speed with Extremespeed, Superpower, Stealth Rock and Mirror Coat. Never mind the fact it isn't using any SpA... and yet people copied the EV set, the nature, etc... and most people didn't even catch it. They fixed it now with 252 SpA/252 Speed, but before that... yeah, imagine all the ruckus! That's just one example though... and they shouldn't be held accountable for one little misprint, but just saying... >_>

Some sets, such as Sub Punch Breloom are without a doubt the best set for that Pokemon.

I'd argue SubSeed is just as effective as SubPunch, maybe even more so. Does that make me a sinner? Or better yet, I'm beginning to love SD + Mach Punch + Seed Bomb sets.

Psychic wouldn't be a very viable move

I stuck Extrasensory on Ninetales... it proved a lot more useful than Dark Pulse as I was able to hit Infernape, Tentacruel and Gengar for super effective damage, the first two being rather common switch ins for Ninetales. It's true the metagame is teeming with Dark Pokemon (Tyranitar) and Steels (Scizor, Skarmory, Forretress, etc...), but there are times I wish I had that move rather than some other move. Okay, so Psychic is only used on STAB users like Azelf who have nothing better to do, but what about Gengar? I mean, Machamp is scary as heck, comes in, Paybacks you to one shot you while your Shadow Ball cannot claim the same thing. Infernape comes in, survives Shadow Ball, hits back with a Fire Blast that OHKOs Gengar. I found some usefulness in Psychic, even if it means "hai Tyranitar" or something... that's why there's Focus Blast, but that stupid thing misses like 9001 times in a row. Psychic isn't useless, but can be a liability if Tyranitar or a similar Dark Pokemon isn't taken out (but Tyranitar is counterable nonetheless).

A Specs Gyarados will never work.

Never? Never say never... you never know what kind of scary things a Specs Gyara can pull out. I actually managed to take 3 Pokemon down in a team with a Specs Gyara (won't happen naturally... and it was Skarmory, Scizor and Infernape). I even tried a Specs Scyther with Technician to a similar effect (I believe Air Cutter, HP Fighting 60, Silver Wind, Vacuum Wave or something). If you have the right materials, some cool outcomes can occur. Granted, it's not the BEST way to use Gyarados, but face it, DDGyara is overrated. Whoever said that is the ONLY way to use Gyarados? I love how people are unprepared to take a defensive Gyara... or even the resttalking phazing Gyara. I even made a Choice Scarf revenger Gyara for fun, and it actually worked believe it or not. Yes, I am guilty of using DDGyara a lot (and still enamored by it), enough to sweep teams with it and making Mewtwo EX call it "Steroids" over time... but it's not the ONLY way to use it (like many people say it is).

But you do bring up a good point. One has to be careful when being creative...

In the end, I guess it isn't Smogon's fault, but rather the battling community in general for taking in Smogon religiously like the Competitive Pokemon Bible...

We're headed off topic here... take Smogon discussions into the competitive battling section or whatnot.

Edited by wraith89

• 1 month later...

First and foremost, I would like to apologize to everyone that used my program because I should have been doing updates and stuff. But, thanks for the kind sentiments. I kinda forgot about this after a few weeks of no one noticing. I promise to start working on it again as soon as my college exams are over (after next week).

I understand that some people feel that smogon is not god in battling and I agree with you. But since most people you their strategies as guides or blatantly copy the strategies, I decided to include them.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my new searching algorithm is almost finished, if you want to help me test it, you can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x932lfplv94hpzr/PKMGenerator%20v0.2.rar

So, I am debating what to keep in the new version and what to throw out, so let me know what you like and what you don't like.

Edited by The_Lion

• 3 weeks later...
My thoughts on the new version:

Good:

- Sleek new interface

- Ability to choose specific pokemon instead of random teams

- The movelists, includes egg moves, wow!..

Bad:

- Loss of tiers

- Loss of recommended movesets

Thanks for the input. There is a good reason for the loss of tiers and movesets, I am trying to straighten out copyright issues with Smogon right now. I am not entirely sure if I can retrieve and modify their content. However, I am think I am just going to add the tiers and movesets.

Things to come, search by:

+ learned moves

+ abilities

• 1 year later...