Games: Upload Your Save File and Play from a PC in Black/White!

NewsBot

• Bot

Article Posted by <a href="/forums/member.php?25">randomspot555</a>: <a href="/news/236/Upload Your Save File and Play from a PC in Black/White!">Upload Your Save File and Play from a PC in Black/White!</a><p>

The <a href="http://www.pokemon-sp.jp/series/bw/#/connection/connection03.html">official Japanese website</a> for Pokemon revealed that players will be able to upload their save file to the official website and be able to play from Internet connected personal computers.  The site goes on to say that any changes made on the uploaded save file will be applied to the cartridge as well.  </p>

<p>

The official site stresses that this is additional content and is not needed to play or enjoy the game.</p>

Wow! This looks like Nintendo has reached the next level as in what the gamers want. Although I've never really put thought into it until now, it seems very useful, but also phun, unlike the Pokewalker after the first week of the Heart Gold & Soul Silver release. Keep it up! =D

They are just asking for hacking now. I mean seriously. You can upload and download saves? All someone has to do is copy the code for the server and bam they can replicate and provide people with codes, along with generating them. Personally I don't think I'll be using it out of paranoia of viruses, even if they finally allow me to use my homes internet to connect.

On another note, my opinion on this cleaned up: "Drat, and another series looks like it's falling into the latest trend of putting multiplayer before single player. I was hoping Pokemon wouldn't fall into this trap."

Personally I don't think I'll be using it out of paranoia of viruses, even if they finally allow me to use my homes internet to connect.

That isn't how viruses are transmitted, and what do you mean "finally allow?" That's how all the Wi-Fi events, and Wi-Fi trades and battles, have been done so far. By personal wireless internet connectiins.

On another note, my opinion on this cleaned up: "Drat, and another series looks like it's falling into the latest trend of putting multiplayer before single player. I was hoping Pokemon wouldn't fall into this trap."

Uh, Pokemon has always had a large emphasis on multi-player. Yknow, the battle/trading thing. And this isn't about co-op play (at least that hasn't been revealed). This is simply uploading a save file and being able to play it on your computer rather than a DS.

The DS titles can't use the security settings of my home connection, so whenever I download the events I have to use some wifi that's unprotected in my old neighborhood. So I mean Finally allow the Pokemon games to use the "advanced connections" of the dsi.

I meant to say putting internet before single player, because I have been able to fully enjoy most things I am capable of doing so far with the limited internet access I have. RIght now it doesn't look like I will suffer any, but if much more is put online I may. (The kinda stuff I'm picturing is "expansion content" that has to be downloaded, and "updates" and such.)

The DS titles can't use the security settings of my home connection, so whenever I download the events I have to use some wifi that's unprotected in my old neighborhood. So I mean Finally allow the Pokemon games to use the "advanced connections" of the dsi.

There's no evidence of that happening at this time. The Black/White games are still DS titles, not DSi titles. And you'd be surprised what some research into your router can do. You can use secure routers, that's irrelevant. I'm sure there's some guides out there if you use your Google-fu a bit.

But the TWL product codes on the boxart indicate they're DSi-ENHANCED. No reason they wouldn't include support for the DSi's WPA, if that's the case.

oh PLEASE dont tell me they're going to be DSi exclusive titles.

i cant afford a DSi...

Bold is your friend Fawful.

And MEgatron: YYAYYYYAYYY!!!!! I hope you're right, so very much.

Article Posted by <a href="/forums/member.php?25">randomspot555</a>: <a href="/news/236/Upload Your Save File and Play from a PC in Black/White!">Upload Your Save File and Play from a PC in Black/White!</a><p>

The <a href="http://www.pokemon-sp.jp/series/bw/#/connection/connection03.html">official Japanese website</a> for Pokemon revealed that players will be able to upload their save file to the official website and be able to play from Internet connected personal computers

I just realized something. Won't this make any form of "emulator" not directly from the site Nintendo provides technically illegal? I mean the whole legal justification for emulators is to back up your save file, and this pretty well solves that.

I just realized something. Won't this make any form of "emulator" not directly from the site Nintendo provides technically illegal? I mean the whole legal justification for emulators is to back up your save file, and this pretty well solves that.

How does it solve it? Is the save in the form of a *.sav file that you can directly control and backup on your computer? I think not.

How does it solve it? Is the save in the form of a *.sav file that you can directly control and backup on your computer? I think not.

"...upload their save file to the official website and be able to play from Internet connected personal computers. The site goes on to say that any changes made on the uploaded save file will be applied to the cartridge as well. "

so you can upload the save to the internet, play on the pc, then take the saved file on the computer and reapply any changes to the cartridge. What it seems to me to look like is that Nintendo took the whole emulators ability to run the games on pcs, modified it for the new games, and designed it to be able to send changes back to the file it just downloaded from. It may not be the exact formatting that other emulators use, if so it's probably to deter people making emulators. All I know is Nintendo may be trying to stop something that is cutting into their market, because I know someone out there has to have downloaded emus without the game, because I have seen many people join Pokemon oriented chats and start discussing them, get told not to, ask why, and be surprised to learn that it is illegal.

"...upload their save file to the official website and be able to play from Internet connected personal computers. The site goes on to say that any changes made on the uploaded save file will be applied to the cartridge as well. "

so you can upload the save to the internet, play on the pc, then take the saved file on the computer and reapply any changes to the cartridge. What it seems to me to look like is that Nintendo took the whole emulators ability to run the games on pcs, modified it for the new games, and designed it to be able to send changes back to the file it just downloaded from. It may not be the exact formatting that other emulators use, if so it's probably to deter people making emulators. All I know is Nintendo may be trying to stop something that is cutting into their market, because I know someone out there has to have downloaded emus without the game, because I have seen many people join Pokemon oriented chats and start discussing them, get told not to, ask why, and be surprised to learn that it is illegal.

I've read the way it's going to work, but my issue with it is that it's probably (I'm assuming, as there's no real information) going to work in such a way that your actual save data is hidden behind several layers of programming... much more complex than a simple *.sav file backed up to your hard drive and kept on a flash drive or burned CD just in case something happens to your cartridge.

The way I envision it working is the data being uploaded via Wi-Fi by your DS, and then from your computer you login to some Nintendo-run website that allows you to play the game on your computer (which has been previously associated with your specific save file, via some friend code-like mechanic or something). The game data, your save, etc. will all be stored on Nintendo's server, not directly accessible... kind of like a Pokemon cloud computing. When you're done playing on the computer, you start the logoff process, and it tells you to power on your DS and game (I imagine this feature will probably be in the main menu, before you actually resume your game progress), choose whatever option and then the new progress is uploaded onto your cartridge.

While that's all fine and good as far as playing the game goes, it accomplishes nothing in allowing a consumer's fair use rights to backup his or her *.sav data to some external source. The feature will, in no way, remove my desire for a save backup device for 3DS cartridges.

Well, now they're just asking for abuse. I wonder how long before someone comes up with an exploit like the GTS one that allows for an edited *.sav to be sent to a cart over your local network?

This.

Beats having to buy fancy adaptors like with HGSS.

So will it, in essence, be possible to just create any old save on pokesav upload it to the new fancy website and then download it on to the cartridge?

Or forget the the cartridge completely, and just create any save and play it on their website?

They will probably try to guarantee that the save is that of an actual cartridge and require to connect to the cartridge before being able to plat on the computer. Some sort of proccess like that.

• 1 month later...

Nintendo tells us that it's illegal to make "back-up" or "archival" copies. I'm sure some of you don't care about the legal stuff, but you can still have a copy for fun. It's also illegal to download a ROM if you don't have the game. I'll continue to research all of this.

Nintendo tells us that it's illegal to make "back-up" or "archival" copies. I'm sure some of you don't care about the legal stuff, but you can still have a copy for fun. It's also illegal to download a ROM if you don't have the game. I'll continue to research all of this.

What the hell are you talking about?

This is a confirmed feature in a future Pokemon game.