Will an NDS Cyclo Evolution work for retail carts?

Village Baka

Hiya, the question I'd like to ask is exactly what's in the title. I don't know an awful lot about save backups and ROMs and such, and the official FAQ for Pokesav wasn't clear enough for me. Will an NDS Cyclo Evolution work for editing my save game with Pokesav on retail carts for Platinum, Soulsilver, etc.? And if it will, do I need any other hardware, or is that all I'll have to buy?

I've officially given up on trying to make my Action Replay actually work with my computer, and I'd like to know if this Cyclo Evolution thing will work for my purposes before I go and drop fifty bucks on one. Thanks for the help!

edit: Now that I think of it, is the NDS Cyclo thing actually any good? It looks pretty awesome and the idea of dumping my Action Replay DS for it is pretty appealing, but I dunno if it's any good or if there's something better out there. Thanks!

First question answer : No, you cannot edit the retail cart's sav files unless you have the NDS Save Data Adapter located here Link or here ConsoleSource

Second question answer : The Cyclo Evolution is a very good flashcard for the Nintendo DS and DS Lite. It won't work on the DSi or DSi XL but in terms of support and quality. It's one of the best money can buy for the prior two systems

Oh, so then the Cyclo isn't needed for editing the save files at all? I guess that's kind of nice, given that the Save Data Adapter costs less. I'm still interested in the Cyclo, though, and I've got some more questions about these things.

The Cyclo says it works like an Action Replay. Can I connect it to my PC easily, and copy-paste large codes into it so I don't need to manually enter them in?

The Cyclo also says something about backing up ROMs, and loading them. Does that mean I can make backups of a whole game and play them without the cartridge? It would be pretty cool to be able to make digital copies of all my games and play them without having to carry the carts around.

And third, would there be a way to use the Save Data Adapter to transfer save games between the digital copy on the Cyclo and the physical cart?

Thank you for putting up with all the questions, I appreciate the help.

Oh, so then the Cyclo isn't needed for editing the save files at all? I guess that's kind of nice, given that the Save Data Adapter costs less. I'm still interested in the Cyclo, though, and I've got some more questions about these things.

The Cyclo says it works like an Action Replay. Can I connect it to my PC easily, and copy-paste large codes into it so I don't need to manually enter them in?

The Cyclo also says something about backing up ROMs, and loading them. Does that mean I can make backups of a whole game and play them without the cartridge? It would be pretty cool to be able to make digital copies of all my games and play them without having to carry the carts around.

And third, would there be a way to use the Save Data Adapter to transfer save games between the digital copy on the Cyclo and the physical cart?

Thank you for putting up with all the questions, I appreciate the help.

I'm not quite familiar with the Cyclo myself, but if you send me the link you're looking at I may be able to tell you more about what it means.

And to answer your original question. The Cyclo MIGHT be able to edit the save if you're backing up the cartridge. It all depends on how it backs it up.

So, you were gonna buy a Cyclo DS without even knowing what it is used for?

If I had intended that, I would not have bothered coming here to ask for information.

Pewpewfiah, the Cyclo's official information page is here:

http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl?page=products-cyclodsevolution

I assume whether or not the Cyclo can be used with Pokesav depends on whether it creates a copy of the whole game including the save data, or just the game itself, correct? Does anyone here actually own a Cyclo? Some firsthand experience would be helpful. My ultimate goal is simply to be able to use Pokesav with my physical Platinum cartridge, and if I can do that with just the Cyclo (which I now intend to buy either way), it would be much better than having to buy the Save Adapter, too. Thank you for the replies.

CycloDS's save files are editable [rather easily] by pokesav.

You can also use the 3in1 tool to dump / restore a save from a retail cart as well. The caveat here is Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Due to the RF transmitter, there isn't an easy way to get save files off those two retail carts.

To use the CycloDS's cheat functions, you have to using the flashcart to play the game [which isn't bad, the CycloDS has some really nice compatibility]. You can dump the retail to the flashcart also using the 3in1 tool [again if you have a 3in1]. However, you're really better served looking at Cyclo's forum and such for explanation of those processes.

You'll need to get a 3in1 as well I believe if you want to take a retail cart save and manipulate it. Also you're going to see a microSD reader for your computer, not really too bad but it's something to remember you need. Although, the 3in1 does have a tool to ftp it wirelessly, I really did not like using it [and it destroys the battery life even more].

[ edit ]

Quick add edit. If you have a DSi, CycloDS won't work. I don't know diddly about the DSi solutions. Also. If you have a DS fat, it will prolly be difficult to find a full-size 3in1.