PKHex/Hax causing black screen in save?

RustInPeace

At first I thought it was because of the announced hack checks from doing Ratings Battles/Competition with a modified save file, but this problem came back today. I believe it came from using PKHaX, but the first time, it could've been PKHex. I used the latest commit at the time, a couple days ago. On the first go, it might've been when I made it so a hacked Deoxys (with illegal ability and moves) got Pokerus. Editing that kind of hacked pokemon on PKHex reverts its ability back to a legal one. After that and regular genning, whenever I go to the PC, the screens go black. Music still plays, controls don't work, the only way to exit is to force shut down or take out the cartridge. Note: this is from a Gateway ROM, I bet the same would happen on the retail carts.

So the second time today, I know for sure tinkering on PKHaX did this. I put an illegal ability on the Deoxys, and proceeded on with the game. Then I go to the PC, black screens. Since PKHax is just renamed PKHex, and this specific version is from the commit before the brand new one, I think it causes the save to be damaged when playing around with illegal pokemon. In comparison, on the latest exe version of PKHex (4/4/15), renamed to PKHax, tinkered again, no problems at all.

I did, and nothing happened. For PKHex, I just changed the day count of Pokerus for Deoxys, on PKHax, I cloned it. 472kb is the size in all these.

So I used the checksums option and used the bad save that had black screen.

Invalid: 0C @ Region 09800

SAV1: 57/58

Good save.

SAV1: 58/58

I did, and nothing happened. For PKHex, I just changed the day count of Pokerus for Deoxys, on PKHax, I cloned it. 472kb is the size in all these.

So I used the checksums option and used the bad save that had black screen.

Invalid: 0C @ Region 09800

SAV1: 57/58

Good save.

SAV1: 58/58

Which is in the Box Name / Background / Unlock flag section.

Did you make any modifications in the past to that section? I'll keep looking..

Might be worth trying to re-save the file, and comparing the differences.

Might be worth trying to re-save the file, and comparing the differences.

I re-saved the file, did a checksum and it's 58/58, but the screen still went black. I didn't change anything in the box name / background / flag section. Not sure what exactly that is. The Box Layout Editor? The only thing in the bottom part of the program I touch is items. The 58/58 with black screen, at least I can properly turn off the console this time, but still.

No idea right now.

I did check on my own bank of saves and I saw that 0x483F got altered when the file was loaded, but the checksum calculation worked correctly. That'd be what is causing the 0C block to show up as bad (still have to figure out what is causing that change).

(edit: this won't have any bearing and was related to loading a save and showing the current box where something failed)

Try transplanting data from other backups to see what area of the save is the troublemaker.

Edit2: Was that 0x483F set to 0x1F? Might be the reason why (ie, last used the PC on a non1-31 box and exited, ie battle box?) I just committed a would-be fix so that the checksum error won't appear and the &0x1F is really using a signed byte instead (to indicate battle box). If that doesn't work, maybe keeping it below 0x1F might be the fix...

I didn't touch Battle Box today, but the first time, when I thought it was the hack checking because of Ratings Battle on a modified save, I did use the battle box. Today was normal though, breeding and deleting bad eggs, ev training. I don't know how to check bytes, the numbers you said sound alien to me.

I didn't touch Battle Box today, but the first time, when I thought it was the hack checking because of Ratings Battle on a modified save, I did use the battle box. Today was normal though, breeding and deleting bad eggs, ev training. I don't know how to check bytes, the numbers you said sound alien to me.

Did you save your savefile in PKHeX while looking at the Party/Battle Box Tab?

Try re-saving with the latest commit.

(it might also be worth finding out what exiting the PC ingame @ the battle box as the current view will save that byte at; open your save in HxD and go to that offset)

I think I did, when I edited the file today that went black screen, it was on the illegal Deoxys on the party tab. I got the latest commit, re-saved the black screen save, and it turned out fine, no black screen. Thanks a lot! I checked the bad save on HxD, yeah, 0x1F, and the bad save re-saved to good save, got a 00.