General question about save editing (3DS games)

Hi there,

I've managed to extract my savefile and edit it as I would like with PkHeX, and now I have a theoretical question about editing savefiles.

My question is as follows: Let's say I have a savefile in Omega Ruby, let's call it "ORAS1". What I want to do is extract ORAS1, back it up to my computer, remove my savefile from my 3DS, play the game again (in a new save, let's call it "ORAS2") to go through the story once more, and then reflash ORAS1.

My questions about it are as follows:

1. Would it be possible to do that, or will ORAS1 be "rejected" by the game if I try to flash it back after I removed it from the 3DS and started a new game?

2. If the answer to the previous question is positive, would it be possible to access Pokemon Bank using ORAS2 while it's "active" on the 3DS?

3. If the previous answers are positive, would it be possible to access Pokemon Bank using ORAS1 when I'm done with ORAS2 and flash it again?

If it matters, my copy of Omega Ruby is digital, though the question applies for my copy of X as well, which is physical.

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

For your physical cartridge (Pokémon X):

1. Yes, you can swap saves as long as they stay on the same cartridge.

2-3. I don't know, but if you started a new game, then unless Pokebank is specifically checking the cartridge ID, Pokebank will probably consider each save a different game. So I'd say this would probably work, but the unlikely worst-case scenario is being banned from the Pokebank. That probably won't happen, but I can't say for sure.

For your digital cartridge:

1. Because of Anti Savegame Restore, switching between two save files is not as straightforward. It would probably work if you had two SD cards, each with a copy of the game from the eShop, swapping them when you want to swap saves.

2-3. My concern with the physical cartridge was that the only way to swap save files required unauthorized devices to do so. Having two SD cards isn't unauthorized, so everything should work fine when you switch SD cards to switch saves.

• 4 weeks later...
My questions about it are as follows:

1. Would it be possible to do that, or will ORAS1 be "rejected" by the game if I try to flash it back after I removed it from the 3DS and started a new game?

2. If the answer to the previous question is positive, would it be possible to access Pokemon Bank using ORAS2 while it's "active" on the 3DS?

3. If the previous answers are positive, would it be possible to access Pokemon Bank using ORAS1 when I'm done with ORAS2 and flash it again?

If it matters, my copy of Omega Ruby is digital, though the question applies for my copy of X as well, which is physical.

Thank you very much!

I really don't know much about digital versions, but I can answer the physical parts.

1. I do this all the time. Mainly with the Mirage Spots. I'll save on the island and I plan on restoring them later when I want to revisit. There's no problem restoring as long as they are going to/from the same cartridge.

2. Your Pokebank is tied to your NNID, so regardless of what game you have in, you have access to whatever's in the bank. If you put in one backed up save of OR, you can deposit all those pokemon into the bank, continue playing, go back to the original, and all of the bank remains the save. Theoretically, you could continually backup and restore before and after capturing Groudon and have all 100 boxes filled with him. Not sure why anyone would want to, but it's just an example. It's a nice exploit.

Hope I helped!