Best device for backing up XYORAS saves?

viperGTS

Hey ProjectPokemon, first thread here.

I'm looking for the best solution to save data backup for the Gen VI pokemon games. Specifically, I'm looking for a device that can back up my saves and allow me to restore them to the same cartridge, but ALSO to other cartridges if that situation ever arose. I know Powersaves is good for backing up/restoring to the same cartridge, but I'm aware that it does not allow you to restore to another one (due to how saves are encrypted differently for each game card).

Does such a device exist for this? Alternatively, a device that does not require an Internet connection would be fine. I know Powersaves requires it and that's honestly the only thing holding me back from buying it.

Also, if I backup my save and use a program like PKHex to view the pokemon on it, would there be any way to restore those pokemon (not the save) to another game cartridge, should I lose my original?

EDIT: I'm also okay with buying Powersaves if the adapter can somehow be used with other programs, not Datel's own software. If that's impossible, oh well... I'm still interested in buying it.

Thanks!

Powersaves is the best option for backing up and restoring saves in the same cartridge, but there's no choice in software, you have to use yours, and likely the cable that comes with it will suck. So, get a (longer) one. Also, Powersaves files are encrypted, you have to decrypt in order to edit on PKHex, but even then, you can't write it back into the cartridge. Only Gateway ROMs with SaveDataFiler support that. I don't know about Cybersaves in regards to multiple cartridges and saves, but I do know that's the most complete way to backup, restore, and edit in PKHex. The catch there, only Japanese 3DS and games. The only other ways would be through Gateway ROMs, or Ram2sav. The latter can handle saves in multiple cartridges, but you need a 3DS not running 9.5.23+. Also, ramsaves are partial data, things that are constantly updated, like game time, can't be edited. Party pokemon and trainer info also can't be edited, but the stuff typically edited, can be. Namely, pokemon, items, moves, that stuff. Plus ram2sav's a browser exploit, and free, so it's relatively quicker in its usage.

I go with ram2sav the most, but sooner or later I'll invest in the Japanese way.

Powersaves is the best option for backing up and restoring saves in the same cartridge, but there's no choice in software, you have to use yours, and likely the cable that comes with it will suck. So, get a (longer) one. Also, Powersaves files are encrypted, you have to decrypt in order to edit on PKHex, but even then, you can't write it back into the cartridge. Only Gateway ROMs with SaveDataFiler support that. I don't know about Cybersaves in regards to multiple cartridges and saves, but I do know that's the most complete way to backup, restore, and edit in PKHex. The catch there, only Japanese 3DS and games. The only other ways would be through Gateway ROMs, or Ram2sav. The latter can handle saves in multiple cartridges, but you need a 3DS not running 9.5.23+. Also, ramsaves are partial data, things that are constantly updated, like game time, can't be edited. Party pokemon and trainer info also can't be edited, but the stuff typically edited, can be. Namely, pokemon, items, moves, that stuff. Plus ram2sav's a browser exploit, and free, so it's relatively quicker in its usage.

I go with ram2sav the most, but sooner or later I'll invest in the Japanese way.

Hey, thanks for the detailed response :) I would use ram2sav, but my 3DS is on a version that has the exploit fixed (has a U in it).

What are Gateway ROMs? Those seem to be more of the solution I'm looking for.

Hey, thanks for the detailed response :) I would use ram2sav, but my 3DS is on a version that has the exploit fixed (has a U in it).

What are Gateway ROMs? Those seem to be more of the solution I'm looking for.

ROMs that can be played on Gateway 3DS flashcart. I forgot to mention, that requires firmware up to 9.2.

ROMs that can be played on Gateway 3DS flashcart. I forgot to mention, that requires firmware up to 9.2.

Darn, looks like that isn't an option either. :/

Powersaves it is. Just one question, might other software be able to take advantage of that dongle? Or is it tied down to Powersaves?

• 2 weeks later...
Feel free to RE the powersaves software

Cyber Gadget Save Editor's dongle software is programmed in .NET (decompile to c# or whatever)

Reverse engineer? I don't think I'm at that level quite yet. Lol and are you suggesting I could decompile Cyber Gadget's Save Editor to work with the Powersaves dongle?

I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a Powersaves. I want to be able to back up my pokemon collection, so I plan on using it along with bank and multiple gen 6 game cards to keep my pokemon in several places, should anything ever go wrong with whatever I have in one game card.

Update: just bought myself a Powersaves and tested it out. As mentioned, the USB cable is bad unfortunately; I had to immediately use another one. Backups of my Y and Alpha Sapphire cartridges went flawlessly (though, Alpha Sapphire took longer to backup, but it was still very quick). I even made multiple lol.

Also, the software acts really strange when offline; I got stuck in a loop between the "can't read cartridge" and "can't read hardware" screens and the normal menu. However, after launching the program when online, I disabled my internet connection and the software still worked. I was still able to backup my Y and Alpha Sapphire cartridges! Might there be a way to reverse engineer this software and make it work offline 100% of the time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So powersaves is the only option to backup/restore OR/AS game saves? I see this only applies to the same cartridge, does that mean it will work ok on 2 3DS consoles?

I invested in NDS Adapter plus for HG/SS/BW/BW2/DPP I also have powersaves pro as well.