Can textures for ORAS/XY be injected through the internet?

Raptor741

Ive used the internet injection method with pokehex to put many pokemon in my copy of ORAS to finish the pokedex but I have seen videos of people that have used gateway3ds cards to replace models and textures of characters (EX:replacing the texture for brandon with one that has the colors from emerald) and i wondered if the same could be done with internet injection.

I havent looked into how exactly the internet injection works but logically if you can inject files for pokemon and replace them you should be able to do the same thing with textures

you could have the file in the SD card and name it a certain way then run whatever script it needs using the internet then you can change what you look like in the game and customize it

if this is possible could somebody make it it would probably become really popular!

Injecting pokemon works because they are stored in the game's save file, which the game has read and write access to. Things like textures are stored in the game's ROM, which stands for read only (no write access) memory. Without write access to the ROM you can't make persistent changes to thing like textures.

The closest you could get, and this is purely hypothetical, is to use the use the web browser exploit to overwrite the textures after they have been read from the ROM and are being temporarily stored in RAM. RAM stands for random access memory, and we have read and write access to it using the web browser exploit. The problem with writing to RAM is that things are only there temporarily. RAM is not persistent like the game's save file or ROM, so any changes you make will be gone the next time you start the game. Your changes may even disappear while you play the game if it determines that it no longer needs to hold those textures in memory.

For all of those reasons and because it takes a significant amount of effort to develop these injection tools, I doubt you will see, as you put it, internet-based texture injection. If you want to take a stab at it yourself though, you are free to look at the source code for RAM2Sav as a starting point. You'll need to understand programming, specifically in C (a programming language), but it's never too early to start learning!

Yes if you can get a Gateway that will be the easiest option for texture editing. There is already quite a bit of information on that route if you look around. Gateway removes the signature checks on ROMs meaning that you can take your ROM and edit the textures directly giving you persistent edits.

Knowledge of HTML is useful but not very relevant to programming in C or any other language. Editing the textures with any of the available tools for use with a Gateway won't require any programming experience.