Viewing RNG state with spider3DSTools

underpantscannon

It seems reasonable that the same techniques that let us view box and save data in RAM should allow us to view the RNG state. Is this the case? If so, do we now have the ability to predict Pokemon generation? This might not be as good as being able to hit exact RNG states we want, but by resetting for a good initial state and then advancing it, we should be able to SR for good legendary spreads in time proportional to the square root of what it previously would have taken.

(Dunno whether this goes in RAM R&D or RNG.)

Some people want it to be legally obtained though... not like RNG abuse is legal or anything but hey.. some people apparently believe it is :bidoof:
Do tell me how RNG abuse is anything but legitimate.

And yes, I'm aware I said legitimate and not legal. The game generated it and it is fully within the possible boundaries of the game and what it is allowed to generate, hence legitimate.

RNG abuse is no more illegitimate than soft-resetting until you get the desired stats on a legendary or breeding tens of thousands of eggs until a 6IV Shiny appears. That's still a form of RNG abuse, you know.

'Legitimate' is just an imaginary concept in terms of Pokémon. Once a Pokémon is in the game there is no way of telling whether or not it was created by the game or created by an external program, as long as its moves/ability/stats/metadata are all legal.

Trust me when I say that this horse was beaten dead 5+ years ago, but calling RNG abuse legitimate is questionable. It's taking a shortcut to your end goal and going outside the way the game was designed to be played, and some people feel that is "cheating".

I have always found RNG abuse to be a bit of an odd pursuit, but in this case I find it especially so. Even if you are of the mindset that a pokemon should be generated in-game why would you read the RNG state and then do X, Y, Z ingame to get it in the state you want? We have write access; you can just set it to the state you want using the exploit.

Nevermind the grand debate of whether RNG’ing is cheating or not. The point of this post was to know whether it would be possible to view the RNG state with spider3DSTools. It’s a fully legitimate question and I’ve actually been wondering the exact same thing ever since the new web browser exploit was released.

By the looks of it, I assume it should be possible (given that the people-with-the-know-how would want to put the time and effort to work on it). However, don’t take my word for it. I’m no authority on the matter.

I, for one, am genuinely interested in the prospects of RNG’ing in Gen VI, if only for the sake of research. I mean why the hell not at this point? If they can pull this one off too I will be utterly amazed.

'Legitimate' is just an imaginary concept in terms of Pokémon. Once a Pokémon is in the game there is no way of telling whether or not it was created by the game or created by an external program, as long as its moves/ability/stats/metadata are all legal.
Considering you don't even need to be sure that your Poke Ball on the Pokemon is legal to enter a Nintendo tournament "legal" is a pretty bad term to be using here.
Trust me when I say that this horse was beaten dead 5+ years ago, but calling RNG abuse legitimate is questionable. It's taking a shortcut to your end goal and going outside the way the game was designed to be played, and some people feel that is "cheating".

I have always found RNG abuse to be a bit of an odd pursuit, but in this case I find it especially so. Even if you are of the mindset that a pokemon should be generated in-game why would you read the RNG state and then do X, Y, Z ingame to get it in the state you want? We have write access; you can just set it to the state you want using the exploit.

So I take it you've never SRed for a Legendary/etc or bred more than one egg, right? After all, that's RNG abuse. Destiny Knot, Everstone, and other stuff? RNG abuse. It's taking a shortcut to your end goal, after all, and it's slimming the results to be more in your favor.

That last part... what do you mean "set it to the state you want"? We can forcibly alter the seeds/etc...? How? Or do you mean genning?

• 1 month later...
This sounds fun. Anybody know how any of the Pokémon are generated in ORAS/XY or the current RNG state address?

Same as last Gen V, the formula is apparently still seed = seed * 0x5d588b656c078965 + 0x0000000000269ec3 and there is a Mersenne twister.

The XY RAM address for generating seed is 0011E550 (ExeFS); Seeding function for Mersenne Twister is 0011E5C8; and TinyMT PRNG is 00163CC4. This was discovered by Bond697 and Magical a while ago. See bottom of wiki: http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/Notable_Breakpoints#Pok.C3.A9mon_X_.2F_Y_.28U.29

Also, you might want to keep an eye on this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-rng-research.3492890/. Bond697 edited his original post about 2 months ago only to add one sentence stating that RNG'ing in Gen VI "may come down to using a GPGPU program to (relatively)quickly find seeds in games that are already loaded and going from there." I imagine he thought no one would notice he had edited his now one year old post!

Are you planning to work on this?