Pokemon Diamond Overworld trainer sprite problems

Davman

I've been having problems with changing the player trainer sprite in Diamond recently.

My problem is when I replace new sprites, the animation is messed up. Walking right works fine, but left is missing the last frame (the second standing one). And the animation for walking up is using the wrong sprite for it's third frame, and it's missing it's fourth frame. And walking down doesn't have any sprites at all. I haven't tried running yet but I think there might be a problem there too.

What I've been doing is using Nitroexplorer and BTX editor to turn the .btx files of the trainer into .pngs, I've tried other programs but I don't think that's the problem. I think my problem is how I'm repacking the narc or reinserting the narc. I've been repacking it with either PokeDSPic DP or alphanarc. I don't think I'm having problems with converting the .png to a .btx file, because I've also tried looking at the modified narc with Overworld Sprite editor DS.

I've only been editing some of the .btx files, in diamond, they're the movement sprites (file 91), the watering sprites (158), and the saving sprites (366). Mostly because I want to get it working before I edit all of the sprites. The sprites all have 16 colors, including the transparency color, but I did replace one of the colors, but I doubt it's the palette, because the pallet is the same for every sprite, and only some of the sprites are working.

Another thing that might be affecting the sprites is an error I've been getting with the watering and saving sprites. It tells me the height of the sprite sheet is wrong or something. Once I get the error again I'll edit this post and say exactly what it says. But like I said, this doesn't happen with the movement animations, just the other two I've been working with, so that might not be it.

I've also been googling everything I can think of, but with no luck. So hopefully someone who might have had this problem before can help. So what am I doing wrong that's causing this to happen?

I have absolutely no idea how to extract the btx as a png, and I can't import my existing pngs, it just makes all of the sprites black squares. So if you could tell me how to do that / direct me to something that does that'd be great. But I'm experimenting with a way around it. I might try using the Overworld sprite editor and see what I can do with that. But I'm still gonna look for a way around my problem since I don't want to remake my sprites and last time I tried this program it crashed every so often for no reason.

Alright so I've been messing around and took some notes on what I did, and I think I know what my problem is.

here are my notes

opened file, started, saved

pulled "mmodel.narc" with Taxahan

pulled "091.btx" with Taxahan

-Can't edit because it's pulled as a .BTX0 file not a BTX

pulled "mmodel_091.btx" with kiwi.ds

saved "mmodel_91.btx" as "mmodel_91.png" with BTX editor

edited "mmodel_91.png" with photoshop, pasted in my fully edited sprite; one pallette color is changed

used btx editor to turn "mmodel_91.png" into "mmodel_91.btx"

alphanarc to replace the "mmodel_91.btx" file in "mmodel.narc"

reinserted "mmodel.narc" with nitroexplorer

--results: Game crashes when trying to load the sprite

tried making a new blank rom file and loading in "mmodel.narc"

--results: game didn't crash, but animation messed up

tried editing the sprites with Overworld Editor DS, and noticed "mmodel.narc" doesn't register all of the frames.

-missing frames: 0,1,2,3,10,12,14,19,22,26 - 31

-misplaced frames: 17

tried matching the pallette of the original and it still caused problems, I'm gonna guess it's my BTX editor

Yeah so the tool I'm using to get the .btx files doesn't extract all of the frames of the animation, or something, I'm still trying to figure out what it does exactly. It may just be made for GBAs or some other game with fewer animation frames than Diamond.

So I need a new method of turning a .btx into .png, I just don't know how. Google is giving me nothing and I don't want to have to remake all of my sprites in Overworld editor. So if I could get some help with doing that, it would be great.