Can an offline save be extracted and injected into an online rom?

Xirix

I have a rom of Pokemon Y, I use Gateway to play it. Unfortunately I didn't realise that it had no online capability, and you apparently can't keep your save if you switch over to a .3dz, ie.. Pokemon Y with a header inserted so you can do online things with it.

3DS homebrew and Pokemon hacking inparticular have come quite a way so I was wondering if it was possible to extract my save from Pokemon Y, put it into an Online Enabled version of Pokemon Y and have it work?

I have a rom of Pokemon Y, I use Gateway to play it. Unfortunately I didn't realise that it had no online capability, and you apparently can't keep your save if you switch over to a .3dz, ie.. Pokemon Y with a header inserted so you can do online things with it.

3DS homebrew and Pokemon hacking inparticular have come quite a way so I was wondering if it was possible to extract my save from Pokemon Y, put it into an Online Enabled version of Pokemon Y and have it work?

Only if you are on Gateway 3DS 2.6.

1. get devmenu / bigbigmenu for your redcard. works also if it's on your home dashboard.

2. Install the .cia version of savedatafiler. (can't provide links or hints. can only tell you it's and sdk dumped by bigbluebox)

3. select your pokemon game on redcard, but don't play the game. (it shows in cartridge slot, basically)

4. enter savedatafiler.

5. on bottom screen, be on the left most tab, with CTR card selected.

6. Press Y (it's to extract save)

7. exit savedatafiler.

you can now use that save for pkhex.

you can now change the header of your rom and rename it to .3dz

all is left, is to reinject.

1. once again, pokemon shows on cart

2. insert savedatafiler

3. bottom screen, right most tab

4. select the save your want to inject (for first time users, there's only one folder there)

5. press L+A to inject to CTR (basically pokemon on redcard)

done!

can only use this method for card2 games or sd card games (eshop or .cia downloads).

Only if you are on Gateway 3DS 2.6.

1. get devmenu / bigbigmenu for your redcard. works also if it's on your home dashboard.

2. Install the .cia version of savedatafiler. (can't provide links or hints. can only tell you it's and sdk dumped by bigbluebox)

3. select your pokemon game on redcard, but don't play the game. (it shows in cartridge slot, basically)

4. enter savedatafiler.

5. on bottom screen, be on the left most tab, with CTR card selected.

6. Press Y (it's to extract save)

7. exit savedatafiler.

you can now use that save for pkhex.

you can now change the header of your rom and rename it to .3dz

all is left, is to reinject.

1. once again, pokemon shows on cart

2. insert savedatafiler

3. bottom screen, right most tab

4. select the save your want to inject (for first time users, there's only one folder there)

5. press L+A to inject to CTR (basically pokemon on redcard)

done!

can only use this method for card2 games or sd card games (eshop or .cia downloads).

I can use pokemon ROM with the Pokebank? If I dump a rom from my cartridge, Can I use it to play online?

I can use pokemon ROM with the Pokebank? If I dump a rom from my cartridge, Can I use it to play online?

when the rom is selected and shown on homepage, and is .3dz,

yes, can use pokebank.

presently, gateway emunand is does not support saves of rom dumps made on < fw 4.5.

(basically, pkm saved on 3ds fw < 4.5 won't work on GW)

However, seeing that Gateway will support fw 9.x, that may change.

I didn't understand...

Let's say you have a retail cart,

and you played it on a normal 3DS (no gateway).

To play Pokemon, you need minimum of Firmware 6.X right?

(the answer is yes)

When you use Gateway to dump the save,

you can't play the game on gateway, because encryption on Firmware 4.X is different from Firmware 6.X

(gateway presently needs firmware 4.X to launch)

However, if you used the retail cart in classic mode on Gateway,

you will be able to used the backed up save (since you started the new game on Firmware 4.x, it used FW 4.x encryption)

If you still don't understand,

chances are you only one 3DS; either one with Gateway, and one without Gateway.

and if you own one without Gateway, it's pointless to discuss roms at this point :/

Let's say you have a retail cart,

and you played it on a normal 3DS (no gateway).

To play Pokemon, you need minimum of Firmware 6.X right?

(the answer is yes)

When you use Gateway to dump the save,

you can't play the game on gateway, because encryption on Firmware 4.X is different from Firmware 6.X

(gateway presently needs firmware 4.X to launch)

However, if you used the retail cart in classic mode on Gateway,

you will be able to used the backed up save (since you started the new game on Firmware 4.x, it used FW 4.x encryption)

If you still don't understand,

chances are you only one 3DS; either one with Gateway, and one without Gateway.

and if you own one without Gateway, it's pointless to discuss roms at this point :/

Yes now I understand xD I had understood that the ROM of Pokemon XY was not usable xD

• 2 months later...

I bought a datel powersave for my X and Y version, mainly for bp's since i work full time and dont have the time to grind it But for sapphire, It says "your liscense key does not support this game with the power play 3ds". Anyone know how to fix this? Works just fine with X and Y, but when i plug in the sapphire, it gives me that error message.