team building advice (volt white 2 mod)

femaiden

okay i'm playing drayanos volt white 2 mod. (i don't like to call it a "hack", when people mod pc games like skyrim and fallout, they don't call them hacks....)

in this mod, he changed all the npc trainers to have perfect iv pokemons with competitive movesets.

and he also made it possible to catch all 649 pre-gen 6 pokemons

after about 400 hours of gameplay, i finally managed to "catch" get them all, using pokeballs in game and meeting them in the wild and in their various spots. "pokemon, gotta hack em' all!", he game is technically a hacked version of pokemon with all the pkemons seeded into the wild so you can catch them "legit" without pokegen.

i'm new to competitive pokemon and i spent days researching smogon and breeding eggs in game and the team i came up with was this.

i'm able to beat most of all of drayanos npc teams with this team but i know it is flawed, in many battles i'm forced to use revives and full restores to win. my weak link seems to be the gothitelle but i can't bring myself to get rid of her.

i was trying to use only pokemons i bred "legit"(i realize the irony of legit pokemon in a hacked rom" meaning, only used pokemons i caught in game and bred, not pokegenned...although i did pokegen a foreign ditto for myself...

also, i don't use legendaries, although i know many of these are in smogon's Uber tier

Blaziken "Slayer"

carrying-

life orb

nature -

adamant

EV -

252 speed/252 attack

Ability -

speed boost

Moves

blaze kick

hi jump kick

strength (in volt white 2, strength is rock type with 75 power)

protect

Gothitelle "AbigailFay" (drayano modified gothitelle to be psychic/dark and gave it magic bounce)

carrying

Mind Plate

nature

bold

ev

252 speed/252 special

ability

magic bounce

moves

psychic

dark pulse

thunderbolt

recover

Lanturn "Sinergy"

carrying

leftovers

nature

bold

evs

252 hp/124 def/128 special def

ability

volt absorb

moves

thunderbolt

thunder wave

signal beam

surf

Salamence "Nightwish"

carrying

draco plate

nature

adamant

evs

252 speed/252 atk

ability

moxie

moves

dragon claw

fly(i know fly is no good in pvp but it works against the computer, i keep it for utility)

earthquake

dragon dance

Metagross "Mercy Fate" (short for Mercyful Fate)

carrying

choice band

nature

adamant

ability

clear body

evs

252 atk/252 def

moves

zen headbutt

meteor mash

bullet punch

hammer arm

Cloyster "Gwaaar!"

carrying

icicle plate (i plan to give it a focus sash if i can have the patience to grind the subway eventually)

nature

jolly

ability

skill link

evs

252 atk/252 speed

moves

icicle spear

rock blast

ice shard

shell smash (i need focus sash to pull this off)

well, thats my team

i realize its mostly glass cannons, and if they don't OHKO their opponent then they get OHKOed every time....and drayano loves sturdy abilitiy and focus sash, just about every opponents in his game has at least one sturdy and one focus sash. he also loves the air balloon, almost every guy has multiple pokemons weak agains ground but carrying air balloon... many times more than 1 breaking item clause...

also, 90% of his pokemons have ice beam which makes it virtually impossible to keep any dragon alive.

I also realize that half my team is weak against ground, rocks and electric, i had hoped to counter electric moves by switching in lanturn. i had also hoped to counter ground with salamence and metagross was to counter rock.

I also had a mamoswine but it felt weak

and i have in storage

Umbreon "Arch Enemy"

carrying

leftovers (there is an item clause conflict with lanturn)

nature

careful

ability

poison touch

evs

252 hp/252 special def

moves

payback

curse

moonlight

confuse ray

this one is powerful but gimmicky, and i got annoyed because it take a long time to set up. also the item conflicted with my lanturn.

these were the only pokemons i had the patience to actually breed "pseudo-legit" without pokegen. i'll most likely just pokegen any future ones because breeding is such a pain.

any advice would be appreciated, like I said i'm new to competiitve pokemon and some of the movesets on smogon don't make sense to me and i don't know what pokemons to synergize with each other.

i always seem to get caught with 3 pokemons all with a shared weakness and every time i take one out and put a different one in, i lose a weakness but gain 2 more...

Well, like you said, your team mostly consists of attackers. Maybe you should have some more wall-ish Pokemon that can take any hit instead of specific types. Dryano's Pokemon are still limited to their pre-set AIs and may not be as predictable as other competitive battlers.

I'd also recommend using a Mamoswine or something as your first Pokemon. Have it set up some stealth rocks and never deal with sturdy users ever again!

Edited by Alpha

Or you can get a Mold Breaker Pokemon that completely bypasses the whole Sturdy being annoying thing, if Stealth Rocks isn't your thing.

Is this kind of thread allowed here? I was thinking the section is mostly for competitive team building. I guess since the activity in this part of the forums is so sparse it wouldn't matter either way, so we can let it slide.

Umbreon isn't actually quite good for an ingame mon actually from what I figure: it is slow and weak, but if you really like it that much, you can go ahead and use it. It has some options for offensive attacks such as Psychic, but be warned that using Umbreon will turn a usually quick paced battle into a rather slow one. It is probably best in those major battles like Gym Leaders or E4, if you like setting up with Curse/Payback. It is similar to the Coil + 3 Attacks Serperior I used in White 2. Generally, you want to look for a Pokemon that is offensive in nature when playing in game, or at least not very weak. I don't discourage use of favourite mons but be warned it can get tedious.