Has anyone successfully dumped/backed-up their retail PMD: Sky save?

L100Raphs

Hi all,

I'm playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky.

I'm playing the AU version, but based on a little bit of digging and Wondermail S generator experimenting, it seems to be the same as the US version.

I'm trying to dump/backup the save from the cart - I have a DS, a CycloDS slot-1 card and an EZ-Flash 4 slot-2 card, as well as a wireless router at my disposal.

So far I've tried Rudolph's tools (both the wifi and slot-2 versions) and they simply don't recognise a save (lists save type as Unknown, doesn't allow me to even try dumping).

I also tried savegame-manager v0.3RC1, and while it detects a save, it thinks it's a 64kb file (it should be 128kb), and the dumped file it creates doesn't work (seems to be just a few lines of code repeated ad nauseum for 64kb).

Has anyone successfully dumped a retail save for this game, and if so, what hardware/software did you use to do so?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

You wont be able to use any of the backup tools that run on a DS. I think it's because they're confused about the 128KB save.

I recommend the NDS Backup Adapter Plus, but you can check the sticky threads for more information.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?16601-NDS-How-to-Backup-Restore-your-retail-cartridge-save-file-for-DS-games

Also, if you happen to have an Action Replay DSi with a Micro-SD slot, that will work too, but I don't think those are made anymore.

You wont be able to use any of the backup tools that run on a DS. I think it's because they're confused about the 128KB save.

I recommend the NDS Backup Adapter Plus, but you can check the sticky threads for more information.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?16601-NDS-How-to-Backup-Restore-your-retail-cartridge-save-file-for-DS-games

Also, if you happen to have an Action Replay DSi with a Micro-SD slot, that will work too, but I don't think those are made anymore.

Thanks for the info! My friend has an AR DSi with microSD slot, so I'll give that a go. Do I need to do anything tricky to do it, or is it a standard feature of the AR DSi?

I've got a fair bit of experience with save converters as I have a CycloDS, which has a not-quite-raw save structure.

Basically, borrow ARDSi from friend, dump, (make copy in case following steps go wrong), convert, SkyEditor, test on emulator/slot-1, convert back, restore to cart.

Thanks again for the info.