Pokecheck down forever?

Rune Knight

• 4 weeks later...
Seeing that Kaphotics and Hozu have both viewed this thread

If this is the case, I would like to express my interest in hosting the Pokécheck battle video database on my own server.

Since I only finished my crawler 3 days before the close, I was only able to save 3564 Gen5 videos before the close. Since I recall you guys having in the tens of thousands of videos saved, it would be a great boon to the community to have some place to host them.

It would seem that way, although nothing is definite. Hope isn't all gone though. Seeing that Kaphotics and Hozu have both viewed this thread and have not given a definite "yes" or "no", we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, Bond and Xfr are apparently planning on working on Gen VI support for the next Pokecheck although I don't think they have gotten to it yet. From what I gather the thing is apparently do able. See for yourselves, on Bond's twitter: https://twitter.com/Bond697/status/507176437645074432

I miss Pokecheck so much, it was just great for downloading pokemon and use them for breeding... I dont understand why they took it down...even without gen6 support it was so great.

An offline version with updates would be awesome too.

Well it's not like it was their decision in the first place to take it down. They kind of had too because Nintendo discontinued wifi support for the DS which in turn meant, to make a long story short, that Pokecheck wouldn't function anymore.

Edited by Eirikr

Well it's not like it was their decision in the first place to take it down. They kind of had too because Nintendo discontinued wifi support for the DS which in turn meant, to make a long story short, that Pokecheck wouldn't function anymore.

Actually I never ever used the wifi connection for pokecheck, I always did it with pkm files (uploading saves).

So... sorry but this is not a good reason.

Actually I never ever used the wifi connection for pokecheck, I always did it with pkm files (uploading saves).

So... sorry but this is not a good reason.

I kind of agree with you on that one. It's really too bad. One can only hope that if they ever get to releasing Gen VI support they will also reintegrate some (probably very limited) form of support for previous Gen games. Only time will tell.

You got to remember though it's not like they got paid or anything for making Pokecheck. They did this out of their own free generous time and therefore, there is absolutely nothing forcing them to continue support for previous or forth coming generations of games. They owe us nothing in other words and we should be happy we even got to use such a service to begin with. It was a good thing while it lasted and I very much appreciate all the hard work that came into making such a thing even possible in the first place.

Edited by Eirikr

I kind of agree with you on that one. It's really too bad. One can only hope that if they ever get to releasing Gen VI support they will also reintegrate some (probably very limited) form of support for previous Gen games. Only time will tell.

You got to remember though it's not like they got paid or anything for making Pokecheck. They did this out of their own free generous time and therefore, there is absolutely nothing forcing them to continue support for previous or forth coming generations of games. They owe us nothing in other words and we should be happy we even got to use such a service to begin with. It was a good thing while it lasted and I very much appreciate all the hard work that came into making such a thing even possible in the first place.

you're right man, I really appreciate it as well and seriously I would even buy a software like this just to check the pokemon's legitimacy, this is all I want. I always used the old legit/legal.exe but after gen4 it was no longer supported, I remember when I asked about an offline version of pokecheck after the gen5 release...I don't care about shinies,events and so on, thats why a standard legit checker for eggs and stationary pokemon would be great enough for me.

• 1 month later...
I still can't understand why pokecheck is down.

Because the majority of its functions required use of connecting to their fake GTS, and since DS WiFi is history now, it can't work.

Even if they can't, or won't, get Gen VI support, I hope they bring it up again for use of the .pkm files. I had a lot stored on my account that I've been wanting to access again for a long time now. It was also convenient being able to search for other .pkm files.

I still can't understand why pokecheck is down.

it was perfect for everything,trading,breeding,events,cheat checks...I actually lost my hope for it, the makers don't even say anything about it because they don't care anymore.

Did you even read what I wrote and check the link I posted? Seems pretty clear why Pokecheck is in the state it is now. Also, who ever said they didn't care? These things take time to do. People are busy and have lives you know.

Anything new? :(

I was told by Bond697 about a month ago that "some work had apparently been done" and that Pokecheck is not dead. But I don't feel comfortable talking about it since to be honest I'm no authority on the subject and I haven't the faintest clue exactly what has been done. Hence, to avoid saying something wrong, spreading false hopes or quite possibly vexing someone, I will refrain from speaking any further about this. Whether Pokecheck will ever come back or not is up to them ultimately, but it seems likely that it will at some point in some form. But take that with a grain of salt.

If you guys want to know more about it, why don't you ask them yourselves?

Did you even read what I wrote and check the link I posted? Seems pretty clear why Pokecheck is in the state it is now. Also, who ever said they didn't care? These things take time to do. People are busy and have lives you know.

I was told by Bond697 about a month ago that "some work had apparently been done" and that Pokecheck is not dead. But I don't feel comfortable talking about it since to be honest I'm no authority on the subject and I haven't the faintest clue exactly what has been done. Hence, to avoid saying something wrong, spreading false hopes or quite possibly vexing someone, I will refrain from speaking any further about this. Whether Pokecheck will ever come back or not is up to them ultimately, but it seems likely that it will at some point in some form. But take that with a grain of salt.

If you guys want to know more about it, why don't you ask them yourselves?

Don't bother them too much tho

they have their own lives and need time to finish

quote from twitter page on September

"a decent amount of work has been done. not enough for pokecheck to come back, but things have actually been done. we have...

everything we need to do it, but no one has time. i have my company and a ton of work, xfr is doing research for work and..

flying around giving presentations or whatever xfr does. we're also 6 hours apart in time zones. it's not like in 2011 or..

2012 when we both had plenty of free time and could get things done."

please be patient

• 5 months later...
Do you know anything about this topic?

To be frank.. does it matter? No offense to pokecheck, it was a great website for sure. But as time passed it lost its use. If the 3DS would ever be able to use it that would highly likely be through the web browser exploit, which has already been fixed.

• 4 months later...
To be frank.. does it matter? No offense to pokecheck, it was a great website for sure. But as time passed it lost its use. If the 3DS would ever be able to use it that would highly likely be through the web browser exploit, which has already been fixed.

That's incorrect. It is still totally possible to pokegen on 3ds. Also that patched method can still be used if you haven't updated, but there is an updated method anyway.

That's incorrect. It is still totally possible to pokegen on 3ds. Also that patched method can still be used if you haven't updated, but there is an updated method anyway.

First of all it was never ever possible to pokegen on the (3)DS because PokeGen ran on your PC. What IS possible is dumping the game save and transferring that to your PC.

Secondly, if you were implying homebrew with "it is still possible" then might I remind you that you quoted a comment of mine dating back 15th of MAY this year.

And lastly, regardless of it being possible there is still close to no reason. For checking legality one can just use his brain.exe and for distributing events / fully legal mons etc there are great communities on reddit.

Subreddit PokémonTrades is the best out there for fully legal trading - in fact, over there it is a rule violation to trade modified mons.

(And there are many other similar very active subreddits where trading modified mons is allowed

First of all it was never ever possible to pokegen on the (3)DS because PokeGen ran on your PC. What IS possible is dumping the game save and transferring that to your PC.

Secondly, if you were implying homebrew with "it is still possible" then might I remind you that you quoted a comment of mine dating back 15th of MAY this year.

And lastly, regardless of it being possible there is still close to no reason. For checking legality one can just use his brain.exe and for distributing events / fully legal mons etc there are great communities on reddit.

Subreddit PokémonTrades is the best out there for fully legal trading - in fact, over there it is a rule violation to trade modified mons.

(And there are many other similar very active subreddits where trading modified mons is allowed

Uh.. So... "pokegen on 3ds" means pokegen for 3ds games... Not pokegen directly on the 3ds... Did you really think I meant that or were you just being a smart alec..? Also.. brain.exe? I mean come on... if it were so simple there never would have been pokecheck or anything similar. And an even bigger reason is legality on 6th gen is fairly complex (involving memories and Kalos Born) so it's not always so simple to create a legal pokemon. Im not sure why you brought up trading... That's kind of irrelevant when it comes to genning and legality checking..

Uh.. So... "pokegen on 3ds" means pokegen for 3ds games... Not pokegen directly on the 3ds... Did you really think I meant that or were you just being a smart alec..? Also.. brain.exe? I mean come on... if it were so simple there never would have been pokecheck or anything similar. And an even bigger reason is legality on 6th gen is fairly complex (involving memories and Kalos Born) so it's not always so simple to create a legal pokemon. Im not sure why you brought up trading... That's kind of irrelevant when it comes to genning and legality checking..

With that kind of attitude, I doubt if all the programmers here will ever help you.

Beggars can't be choosers, I reckon :P

• 4 months later...

Well, you can't get too upset. I mean, you're not getting legitimate Pokémon... However, using it for event Pokémon is a good reason. I'm going to end this here, as this is my first post, and I'm making a fool out of myself.