My Save Files from v.3.1.13 of PokeGen aren't working

nutterbutter

After reading the rules article, I'm like 95% sure theres nothing wrong with this, as I'm not planning to use any genned pokemon in any non-local/competitive capacities - I just want my savefile to get to my cartridge successfully (mainly to fill-up some pokedex - I know you can AR it to Complete or do it in PokeGen, but I want to actually have them, not just their pokedex data)

This has been an issue since I first updated to 3.1.13 around a year ago, but I didnt bother going through the process of registering an account because I just downgraded back 3.1.10. Unfortunately, now theres something up with my save using 3.1.10 that I think is due to me using .pkm codes from online sources that have gibberish in the nickname and OTname fields when opened with PokeGen. These .pkm are from gens 3 & 4, and I saw in the changelog there was something (that I cant claim to truly understand) regarding fixing gen 3/4 in versions 3.1.11-3.1.13.

I couldn't find a 3.1.11 not 3.1.12 download, which I'd like to try to see if they fix this without messing up my save like 3.1.13 does.

Background - My Save File Process

What I use to supplement PokeGen is a device that I understand is somewhat uncommon in use (it took me almost an hour to find the drivers and such on the site when I knew what I was looking for - it seems pretty obscure). I use the r4i Save Dongle, which is functionally a male USB to Female DS cartridge slot. With 3.1.13, at the same point along the loading bar when I select send file "PC to Card" in the SaveDongle software it fails to send the save file.

Around a year ago, when this first happened (upon upgrading to 3.1.13) I tried a few online save converters and other tools to see if I could convert it into a .dsv or something and then convert it back into a .sav in hopes that it would fix the problem I was having with 3.1.13. I had some success, but I was never able to come out of one of these tools with a properly working version of the .sav file from 3.1.13. I do remember that one of the sites popped out an error message when I tried to upload my 3.1.13 .sav file saying something about a problem with the bytes of the header and how the header was supposed to terminate or something. The site didn't give me this message when I tried with my 3.1.10 file.

Additional conjecture on the matter:

Could it be the name of the savefile. I've been calling them std-pokemonblack2.sav (I'm fairly certain thats what it was called when I downloaded the savegame "Card to PC")?

For location caught, there are so many options if its from another edition - like what is the difference between (Poketransfer), Poke Transfer Lab, Faraway Place, Lovely Place (G4=in Gen 4?), those Squares (and what does the (2) indicate), or just the region (Sinnoh, Johto, Kanto, etc.)? Are there pokemon that have this field blank?

Does it matter if the Trainer card info isnt from the correct game/generation?

Which encounters count as a location caught other than "Egg/Pal Park/etc." (other than the ones that are pokemon names).

Sorry for the sheer amount of text. I'll be crossing my fingers that this board isnt dormant!

Thanks for your help and consideration