Other Pokemon websites

I visit a handful of Pokemon websites, or related gaming websites with some type of Pokemon community.

My first was the Something Awful forums, which has a general discussion thread in their Games sub-forum, and sets up tournaments and conducts trade in a separate sub forum and an IRC channel. It's a generally laid bag envrionment, a mixture of people knowing a bunch of knowledge about game mechanics and people who play Pokemon because it's cute monsters who battle to the near death. There's always someone willing to help, with game help, trading, battling, and so on. It's a great way to start.

The first Pokemon specific website I visited is Serebii.net and I registered on both the forums and the chat. I've traded in the chat for quite some time, but later learned that most of my stuff was hacks that have been floating around a long time. Mix that in with people who know nothing about competitive battling (I used a Ninetales with Energy Ball and was called a hacker), and it isn't a great experience.

I'll be honest and say I rarely visit the main page. It's great that it's updated every day, but I can get most of what I want to know elsewhere. But for pre-release information concerining games and anime stuff, I don't think there's a better source.

The forums are...a bit better. There are numerous very helpful threads related to the games, ranging from game mechanics such as EV training and breeding and competitive battling, to more basic general help questions and daily/weekly events. There are dozens of posters willing to help out those in need. And in the off topic forums, dozens others who provide great non-Pokemon discussion.

But to balance the dozens of great users are people who use it as their Twitter or personal blog, or just post flat out wrong information. This in no way means the forum is inherently bad, or the people who run it do a poor job (they don't, they do it very well) but because it is popular, the bad posters far outnumber the good.

I've also registered, posted, traded on, and battled within Pokecommunity.com. As Pokesav.org, I believe we've had some heated discussion about events and all. Generally, it seems to be one of the more popular forums. And it really is well done. But considering all it is is a forum leaves a lot to be desired. I'm probably "known" for being a anime fanboy there, but that's only because the anime forum is filled with negative pessimistic posts wanting Pokemon to be their own personal fan fic. Rather than actual discussion, it's filled with bashing, so I just try to discuss rather than bash.

I do some editing over at Bulbapedia and I've posted a handful of times on the Bulbagarden forums. From what I've heard, the forums here used to be the go-to forum for Pokemon fans, but it doesn't offer anything that I don't already get from other forums/sites. As for pedia, I'm slowly working my way through it. But I more correct/defend stuff than write entire pages/articles.

I've also lurked at LLegendary Pokemon and Marriland but I rarely go to either.

Overall, PP, Serebii.net/SPPF, and Bulbapedia and something awful serve most of my Pokemon needs.

EDIT:

I also read Dogasu's Backpack, which compares the dub anime and the Japanese anime. Very useful. I also visit pocketmonsters.net and Pokebeach semi-regularly for anime related info.

Also registered and sometimes post over at Smogon, though I use the site much more than the forums.

The fact is, all we're all trying to do is update the pokemon community with the latest news and events directly from Japan. We shouldn't become prideful and cocky just because we have sources directly in Japan. Pride comes before the fall, as they say. We just need to sit back, discuss the facts, and take it easy. No one needs to be rude or immature in this matter. We all have things to bring to the table.