How to use the SMS4 or NDS Backup Adapter Plus on Windows 8 and 10

evandixon

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 preview, and had a very hard time installing the drivers for the SMS4 and NDS Backup Adapter Plus. I wasted half my day trying to sign the drivers myself yesterday...

[Edit] I found how to permanently disable driver signature enforcement:

Step 1. Open the Windows command promt as “Run as Administrator”.

Step 2. Run “bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS” (without the “”).

Step 3. To finalize the process run “bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON” (without the “”).

Step 4. Reboot and you’re done.

To disable it do step 1 and run these commands on step 2 and 3:

Step 2. “bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS” (without the “”)

Step 3. “bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF” (without the “”)

Source

If you prefer not to use the command prompt, you can use this more user-friendly version, but you have to do this again if you restart your computer afterward:

1. From the Metro or Desktop

2. Bring up Charms by mouseing over to the right of the screen

3. Go to Settings

4. More PC Settings

5. General

6. Advanced Startup > Restart Now

7. Trouble shoot

8. Advanced options

9. Windows startup options

10. Restart

11. Click on "Disable driver signature enforcement"

12. Reboot

13. Install the relevant driver, allowing the non signed driver to install

Source

Install your unsigned drivers AFTER doing either of the above.

[Edit] I have successfully used my NDS Backup Adapter Plus on Windows 10 using the same steps as listed here (the advanced startup, not sure about the permanent way).

Edited by evandixon

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The only thing that's different in Windows 8.1 is the location of the Advanced Startup "Restart Now" button. Should be with recovery. Look around in the settings. If you can't find it, I'll take a look when I'm not posting on a phone.

The only thing that's different in Windows 8.1 is the location of the Advanced Startup "Restart Now" button. Should be with recovery. Look around in the settings. If you can't find it, I'll take a look when I'm not posting on a phone.

I found out how to do it but when i start the program , i get blue screened and need to restart which erases what i did before

• 1 year later...
I have Win 8.1 64. I tried to follow the instructions but I cannot get windows to install the driver, even when i point the driver installer right to the driver folder. I need help please.

I have no idea what's going on either. A while ago I tried installing the driver for my SMS4, but it couldn't find the driver. I suspect a Windows update may have altered something at some point, but I don't know.

• 1 month later...

So it turns out NDS Adapter plus works with Windows 8 & 8.1 on any variant that runs on 32bit version. No driver modifications or disabling driver verification enforcement, it runs out of the box. But I can't get it to run on 64bit mode though, So i had to run a dual boot with 64 bit mode as my primary and 32 bit just for my NDS adapter. So if you can get a 32bit mode of windows that would be your best bet. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not having the luck, nor the luxury, of getting the NDS Adapter to work on Windows 10.

I have tried the Advanced Startedup method mentioned in the first post, however, I am not able to install/sign the drivers, and allow my NDS Adapter to start working properly >.>;;

Anyone free to help me out on this? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
I recently upgraded to Windows 8 preview, and had a very hard time installing the drivers for the SMS4 and NDS Backup Adapter Plus. I wasted half my day trying to sign the drivers myself yesterday...

[Edit] I found how to permanently disable driver signature enforcement:

Source

If you prefer not to use the command prompt, you can use this more user-friendly version, but you have to do this again if you restart your computer afterward:

Source

Install your unsigned drivers AFTER doing either of the above.

[Edit] I have successfully used my NDS Backup Adapter Plus on Windows 10 using the same steps as listed here (the advanced startup, not sure about the permanent way).

Cant Seem to make it work. I did everything it says it doesnt recognize the nds adapter. I just open the tool and it doesnt work ?

• 2 months later...

I've fixed this issue to my satisfaction. I converted the driver to use Microsoft's built-in USB driver, which is signed, and built Jaron Viëtor's Linux command-line tool in Windows to access the new driver. I've attached the tool to this post.

You need to have installed EMS's driver first and upgraded the firmware to v3.05 using the Windows driver and tools from http://www.hkems.com/download%20-%200907.htm - note the Linux/Mac option and the author's Github at the top, it's this source code that I compiled in Windows.

For anyone having problems disabling Driver Signature Enforcement, this is the only way that worked for me:

To disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 10, go to Start > Settings > Update and Security. Select Recovery from the list on the left hand side and then click the Restart Now button under Advanced start-up. Then click Troubleshooting > Advanced Options > Startup Settings and then click the Restart button at the bottom right. Your PC will restart and give you a list of options, press F7 and Windows will start.

Once you have installed the driver and upgraded the firmware, you can use EMS's NDS_Adapter_Plus_V3.03.exe tool to access your device. The problem is that when you reboot, Windows will block the EMS driver until you do the steps in the previous paragraph again. If you can't use command-line tools or the Windows Command Prompt, stop here because you won't be able to use EMS's tool anymore if you continue with the rest of this.

Reboot your PC to re-enable Driver Signature Enforcement.

To fix the driver you need a program called Zadig from http://zadig.akeo.ie/ - the version for Windows Vista and later is what you want. Download zadig_2.2.exe and put it somewhere you can find it. Plug in your NDS Adapter Plus. Double click your zadig_2.2.exe and select the Options menu and List All Devices, you should see an entry called EMS Inter-Link Cable, select this and then select "libusb0 (v 1.2.6.0)" in the box to the right of the green arrow using the fiddly little buttons and click Replace Driver.

Now you can open a Command Prompt and use ndsplus.exe to read and write save files without having to disable Driver Signature Enforcement. Enter "ndsplus -h" to get a list of the options, or use "ndsplus -b savefile.sav" to backup and "ndsplus -r savefile.sav" to restore.

EDIT: It might not detect the save file size properly in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, don't know why. Just add "-s 524288" before the "-b" or "-s" switch to force it to copy 512KB.

• 1 month later...

You might be better just using a homebrew enabled 3DS to backup / restore saves in the future if at all possible.

If you have a 3DS you can simply use the homebrew app TWLSaveTool to backup / restore DS saves to and from the SD card inside the 3DS.

No messing about disabling driver signing enforcement on modern versions of Windows, or with tools designed for legacy operating systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Disabling driver signing enforcement is only necessary to update the firmware in the NDS Adapter Plus. Zadig is not a "tool designed for legacy operating systems", it is fully compatible with all versions of Windows from Vista on.

The NDS Adapter Plus is more convenient to me than the glitchy Homebrew Menu on 3DS. I just attach my DS cart and plug it into my PC, copy the save file, edit it in Pokegen and write it back to the cart. It's a shame there's nothing like it for 3DS Pokémon games.

Nintendo is playing whack-a-mole at the moment with the Homebrew entry points, so getting the Homebrew Menu working at all is a chore if you've updated the system software (which is mandatory for redeeming the Darkrai event codes as I found out today) and didn't have the foresight to buy Cubic Ninja before the price exploded.

• 6 years later...

Hey there!

So, I'm not sure anyone is still trying to get NDS Adaptor Plus to work now in 2023. I have a Mac with Monterey OS and also access to a Windows computer with Windows 8, running on 64. Is there any way I could get anything to work with that?

I found a bunch of download links for drivers, and I tried a bunch (maybe in the incorrect way?) and I haven't had any luck so far. Any help would be great!

• 5 weeks later...

Update! I got it to work! I had missed this thing that describes a bit more of what to do:

I used a Windows 8 computer, running on 64. No virtual machine. I did need to manually disable driver signature enforcement before installing the drivers, as well as every time I start up the computer when I want to use the NDS Adaptor Plus, since it accesses the drivers even when you just open the program. I used the Advanced Startup option to do it, not through the command prompt. It was pretty easy once you know where to click.

In the link in my previous post, I just used the contents in the folder called 0907_v3.05 and there were both drivers there, as well as the actual program. So if anyone needs it to work in 2023, that's a way to do it.